Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Exclamation Ford Ranger jump seat

I'm having an issue trying to find any real information on the car seat and jump seats....my husband has a 1997 Ford Ranger and he wants to take the girls places when I have the car. I told him no but he is persistent on asking me....is it illegal? Btw my girls are 21 months and 10 months.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Are the jump seats forward facing, or side facing? No child seat manufacturer allows any of their seats to be installed on a side facing vehicle seat.
    Last edited by monica-m; 01-26-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    DS1 3.24.10 riding in a Frontier 90 in booster mode and a Cybex M-Fix.
    DS2 1.18.14 rear facing in a Foonf and a Fllo.

CPS Technician

Re: Ford Ranger jump seat

There are no car seats that can be installed on side facing seats, so in that vehicle the only way to transport them would be in the front with the passenger side air bag turned off with the key. I have no idea if 2 seats side by side rear facing would even fit in the front though so it may be physically impossible for both of them to be in the truck at the same time.
    DS1 (April '09) Britax Parkway SGL & Clek Olli, DD (March '12) Britax Frontier 90 & Evenflo Maestro, DS2 (April '15) RF Nuna Rava & RF Clek Foonf
    2011 Honda Pilot
    2009 Honda Ridgeline

Unregistered

I’ve done it before with my 88 ranger. So what if their sideways? They’re in a car seat and secured. I had no issues with it and would do it again

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I’ve done it before with my 88 ranger. So what if their sideways? They’re in a car seat and secured. I had no issues with it and would do it again
    Because 100% of carseat manufacturers have either not tested it (so your kids are playing the role of crash test dummy to find out what happens), or they've tested it and it's failed.

It's your choice to make, of course, as a parent. Most parents would choose to not do it knowing it's their children's lives at stake. But of course, you're most welcome to make that choice.

In a proper use state, since it's against the manual, it's also illegal and you could be pulled over and ticketed.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

7. Thank You from: