outgrowing the mr65 by height

bakinlove

my 2.75 y/o is right at 1 inch above her head in the MR, I don't want to buy a new seat for her unless I would get alot of growing room out of it, she is quite tall for her age, weighs 36 lbs and wears 4T shirts comfortably, 3T with the sleeves a bit short. I don't know her seated height. Any thoughts on what seats would be tall enough to keep her RFing another 6 months? Also, what would most do, purchase another seat or turn FFing? I already turned her in our secondary car b/c we needed to get the 3 across to work better?

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
my 2.75 y/o is right at 1 inch above her head in the MR, I don't want to buy a new seat for her unless I would get alot of growing room out of it, she is quite tall for her age, weighs 36 lbs and wears 4T shirts comfortably, 3T with the sleeves a bit short. I don't know her seated height. Any thoughts on what seats would be tall enough to keep her RFing another 6 months? Also, what would most do, purchase another seat or turn FFing? I already turned her in our secondary car b/c we needed to get the 3 across to work better?

For an under 3 year old, if it were in my budget, I'd purchase another seat to rear-face closer to 4. Some taller seats to consider include the Graco Size4Me/Headwise/MySize70, the Chicco NextFit, the various Diono Radian convertibles, and the Clek Foonf. I'd also recommend posting a picture here with your daughter's face blurred for privacy if you want, because in my experience, it can be tricky to determine the 1 inch mark, and sometimes an extra set of eyes helps to buy some more rear-facing time. :)

Chila88

I may be in the minority but If it were me I would turn her and feel proud that I kept my above average sized child rf'ing to the limits of her seat and almost 3 years old! :)

My girls loved the MR ff'ing just as much as they liked it rf'ing.

Lenae

The SureRide is super tall, and from what I understand, one of the longest lasting by height (RF and FF) convertibles on the market. It can be found for right around $100 I believe. That's probably what I'd do if I were you. If price was absolutely not a factor, I'd buy a Radian.

Keeyamah

The SureRide is super tall, and from what I understand, one of the longest lasting by height (RF and FF) convertibles on the market. It can be found for right around $100 I believe. That's probably what I'd do if I were you. If price was absolutely not a factor, I'd buy a Radian.

Except it has a 40" standing height rule for Rearfacing, so a child in 4T clothes may have outgrown it rearfacing already (not sure if child's height is listed elsewhere in the thread).

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'd probably get a definitive measurement in the MR and see if she had anymore room than you think. A half inch could give you that 6 months.

I'd buckle her in the vehicle so it's at it's installed angle, then use a DVD on her head with the spine flat against the back of the MR. if you have trouble determining the top of the MR, I sometimes lay a rule across the top and intersect it with the DVD case and make a mark with a sharpie at the intersection point. Then it's easy to measure the mark on the case and subtract an inch.

If you've already done a definitive measurement, then you need to decide if a new seat is in your budget. I'm always looks for excuses for new seats so I bought my DD a new RF seat at 3y2m as she'd outgrown her old one. In her new one, she had only 1.5" of growth room which worried me but just got her another 18 months of RF.

bakinlove

I just measured the 2.75 y/o and she is 39.5 inches tall, I can't really justify the sureride for .5 inches, assuming it could even fit in our 3 across. I will measure her in the MR again and make sure she doesn't have more room than I think she does. Probably after this weekend since it is about 0 degrees out right now and I have to work for the next 3 days. I am secretly hoping to pick up an r120 sometime in the next few months, but I need to wait for the baby to outgrow her SR32 first so it may be awhile. If I can't safely keep her RFing in the MR until the next growth spurt, then at least I could turn her back to RFing if we got the R120 and give the baby the MR.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My daughter had a half inch to grow in the MR at 42.5" and she isn't short torsoed, average to slightly longer torsoed. So maybe there's hope unless she's very long up top?

bakinlove

I had a chance to get seated height today if someone could check my math for me. DD is 23 inches from floor to top of head which if the info in the measurement section is accurate means that she has 1.5 inches till she reaches the top of the MR so .5 inches before we need to FF. Is this likely to change with install angles at all? Also, just b/c I am curious what is an average shoulder height for this age group (almost 3) hers is 14.25 inches.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The MR is kind of a ghost seat, in that it tends to give kids more room than it "should." I'd say getting that in-car measurement is really key here.

And FTR, if I could cobble together the money I would get a new seat. I'm pretty militant about making it to 4 RF in my vehicle. But if you do turn her, know that you've met the gold standard of RFIng to the limits of the convertible seat.

Also, the MR & Radian puzzle amazingly while going the same direction.

ahgirls

My DN got turned in both the myride & roundabout 55 at 2 yrs 10 months because of weight. My sister left him as long as she could but couldn't afford new higher weight RF seat.

RF the longest you can in your budget making 2 yrs old the minimum. Know that you made it past 2 yrs old. That is longer then most of the general population. Good job mama!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC