NHTSA seeks new SIP regulations for child restaints

ADS

Keeyamah

Saw that today too, at least now we'll be able to say there are standards, but I doubt we'll know actual "ratings" anymore than we do now.

YinzerMama

Is anyone else wondering how the radian is going to fare? I know I am. I know SK/Diono has always said it was tested and had side impact protection but I wonder...

bpirof

The article I read said that manufacturers have 3 years to comply and pass tests.... I don't think it would be retroactive but who knows

YinzerMama

Loving my nextfit right now lol :D

(I know we don't KNOW anything right now but I just feel like he seems so safe in his egg...)

Brianna

This sounds good, but only for "The agency estimates the standards will prevent the deaths of about five children and injuries to 64 others each year" less than 70 kids a year this should help. Yet at the same time they're making it more difficult for parents to install seats correctly, with the new confusing LATCH limits? I would think seats being installed incorrectly would affect a lot more than 70 kids a year. It would be really nice if they could focus on proper installation & use!

tiggercat

This sounds good, but only for "The agency estimates the standards will prevent the deaths of about five children and injuries to 64 others each year" less than 70 kids a year this should help. Yet at the same time they're making it more difficult for parents to install seats correctly, with the new confusing LATCH limits? I would think seats being installed incorrectly would affect a lot more than 70 kids a year. It would be really nice if they could focus on proper installation & use!

Or maybe making top tethering manditory? Bet that would save a lot more than 5ish kids a year.

YinzerMama

Well the new dionos should still work 3 across I'd think, they're just deeper so there would be ess contact between siblings. You could kind of compartmentalize the children. :D

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician

This is really only the tip of the iceberg for injury numbers. Injury statistics only look at initial reports. This estimate doesn't take into accountn the prevention of serious injuries that manifest later.

Two examples...my BIL was in a crash a little over a year ago. For the first several weeks his pain was attributed to soft tissue injury, strains, and sprains. It was almost 10 months before it was apparent that he has serious spinal column injuries that may disable him for life.

NOT CRASH RELATED ok this was actually a crash, but not a car crash.
When I was 11, the gas pedal on my dad's jetboat came unscrewed as he was spraying the beach as a prank. Jet boats require propulsion to turn. I was standing in shallow water directly in his path. I dropped down under water as best I could, but the boat still ran up my shoulder. At 25, I started having upper back pain and went to a chiro. The chiro was confused and asked if I'd ever taken a hard fall where I'd rolled up off that shoulder and even pinpointed the injury to shortly before puberty. The boat incident was the only explanation.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC