Question do you use car seat abbreviations irl?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When I'm speaking to people? I don't say RF and FF, though I will say AOE. That's the only one I know of that I use.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I said used a whole slew of them at an event last week on accident. Nobody knew what I was saying...oops.

Yeah, I generally don't use them online for the same reason, unless the person to whom I'm responding has started with them and is well versed. Even then it's just not habit anymore.

Other than the AOE. Those three letters have me seeing red when I see them on our license plates (WA went to LLLNNNN about three years ago, and we're up to the AOEs now).

Wendy

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't think so. Not even talking to my coworker - she has tons of experience but is not Internet carseat nerd. In fact I did a powerpoint presentation recently and when I had her proof it, I caught myself having used "RF" and "FF" a ton.

I did say AOE last week. The only other one I could see myself using would be "EFTA." Too funny that Wendy & I speak the same one! Ha ha!

Cryssy Jane

I do when talking to friends who are also car seat nuts whether advocates or techs, but otherwise not really, certainly not at checks.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Never. I almost don't even use them while typing here, with the exception of RF and FF, and then things that are acronyms like LATCH, UAS, NHTSA and the like.

Funny, at my university we have little cafes and the coffee they sell comes in cups with covers that say "LBP" for a size medium (brand, I guess). I was asking my friend to go grab me one while I put milk in my coffee and I said "would you get me a cover over there? The one that says Long Belt Path" ... now it's a joke among my friends. I had some explaining to do after that one.

In general I never use abbreviations outside of CS.O, no one would have any idea what i'm talking about except bbartlettnfld on here, who works at checks with me. Even then i'd probably get weird looks.

jacqui276

Nope, other than LATCH and UAS, I don't use them. Nobody would have a clue what I'm talking about. :p Even if I mention UAS, I usually have to elaborate on what on earth I'm talking about.

Keeyamah

I use them down here in chat, or in the coffee break and sub-forums, but not IRL. And when I do use them, I try to have had the full phrase, ie High Back Booster or Frontier 85/90 before I use HBB or FR85/90, then at least it's not coming cold turkey, especially on the occasions I do use them "upstairs".

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Nope! I never use abbreviations, because I work (very part-time) at a hospital and I feel like people look at me like I have five heads when I don't use abbreviations. I can only imagine what it would be like if I used abbreviations!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
When I'm speaking to people? I don't say RF and FF, though I will say AOE. That's the only one I know of that I use.

Wendy

That's funny. AOE is the acronym I have the hardest time learning. Everytime I see it, my brain reads it as "All in one" even though that makes no sense with the initials.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I actually realized today that after I type out Ride Safer Travel Vest once, I do switch to RSTV after that.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't *think* I do... people are confused enough when I use complicated terms like 'harness' and 'crotch strap' and 'top tether' :rolleyes:
Oh I asked if we got the new G4's in on the last truck, that was good for some confusion (I THOUGHT they would SAY Britax 'model name' G4 on them, my bad....)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I don't *think* I do...

I very clearly remember the two of us cracking up when we realized we were both talking in abbreviations while trying to figure out 3 across in the 3rd row of your old Oddy. Of course, it was 82,000 degrees and we were both sky high having eaten nothing but ice cream and root beer all day long.

I rarely talk in acronyms unless I'm with someone as nerdy as myself. I do however type acronyms out of context. Like typing LATCH in regards to breast feeding.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, that was totally fun, to say 'RF MA' and have someone else understand what I meant :D (Like the one time in 11 years so far that someone I don't know has recognized what my license plate means, lol, obviously it's CPST)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Nope and I'd no idea what anyone was talking about if they actually said those acronyms out loud as I also read them as the full words not letters. With the exception of actual acronyms like UAS, NHTSA, IIHS which I'll say the acronym.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC