-25kg harnessed seats in Germany

U

Unregistered

Other than the britax two way, anyone know of ffing harnessed seats that go to 25kg. My youngest is 2.5yr old and gets horribly car sick rfing. Next two kids 14kg, 120cm 4.5yr old and 22kg 6 yrold. 2 younger ones in Cybex Pallas atm and big kid in Maxi Cosi Rodi... The seats are too close and I am killing my hand trying to buckle and unbuckle everytime. Neither 6 nor 4 yr old mature enough for a seat cushion booster (nor do I want that.)
I also do not want to sit one in front, I know it is legal, but I hate the fights over who sits in the front, so I need 3 seats that fit across a VW Touran backseats.

ADS

_juune

To the best of my knowledge Britax TWE is the only one currently. For a brief time there was the Xtensafix, but they stopped selling it because of a bad ADAC test score when used as a booster seat. Maybe you can still get one somewhere?
For the 4 year old maybe a 9-36 seat could work with harness, 14kg is way under the 18kg harness limit anyway, and the 9-36 seats I think usually go taller with harness than the 9-18 ones.

U

Unregistered

I knew I saw something recently! I was at a baby store a few weeks ago when I saw it and I went back yesterday to check it in the car. It was the xtensafix, but this is what I found today: http://www.britax-roemer.com/customer-service/britax-roemer-xtensafix No wonder it wasn't at the store.
I worry with the 9-36, they get too wide at the bottom (so far only seen them online, they don't have any at the stores near me.
Have you seen the TWE in person, do you think I could fit three across in a backseat? Do you know if they are close in size to a radian?

At the store yesterday, I saw a MC Rubi, that seemed to have a taller back than the other seats(nearly taller than the Mobi), and I was nearly sold. Until I got home and saw that on MC website, it only gets a 1 star for safety and on adac, it didn't do well. So now I am scared. The tobi looks very similar and gets good ratings, but doesn't look as tall (didn't see it in the store).

One more question about the TWE do you know when they were last made? They are no longer listed on the Swedish websites page and it looks like an 'older' seat. I know ECE seats don't expire, but I personally don't like the idea of buying an 'old' seat (even if it is new).

M

me again

Didn't occur to me yesterday, but maybe you could look at different booster seats for the eldest two? For example the Britax Adventure or BeSafe izi Up -- those have no armrests and are probably more easy to buckle than the Rodi and Pallas.

I will see if I can find those In the store. the rodi doesn't HAVE arms EITHER (SORRY 2 Yr old playing on the caPS lock). They still might be smaller/not so wide though. But I could only do that for my oldest as my middle child, I could not trust him in just a booster. When we used harnesses seats before when he was still in the infant carrier, he would 'Houdini' himself out of the harness, no matter how tight it was. :-/ Things haven't changed much, one day, recently my husband put him in the Rodi in a hurry (oldest wasn't riding with us) a few minutes down the road, he is sitting in between the front seats. Also he is tall but skinny and just barely 14kg, so he technically can't ride in the boosters yet.

I went to a local baby store today and got really frustrated because the lady had her own selling agenda and didn't listen to what I was saying. She told me the HTS ComfortX3 was a reboarder. I wanted to say, "Yes, I know it is the one Gr1 seat HTS sells that only forward faces, but it looks completely different than the others how can you get them confused??" She told me that my youngest can't ride without the 'cushion' yet (on the cybex pallas) so she wouldn't recommend a booster. Um yea, I know that, which is why I was looking at Gr1 seats, not Gr 2-3 seats for him.
Another associate was trying to sell a different cybex seat (maybe a Juno) to another couple who remarked their child can't sit fully upright on his own yet.. but to his side, I have to say at the very end after they said, they don't want to rf because "2months forward facing on vacation and he just doesn't like to" the associate did recommend sitting rfing for as long as possible. I wanted to step in and say "what about the new norm that says at least 15 months rear facing."
Anyway, I wish my youngest didn't get so sick rfing so all this would be easy. I never believed people until he started puking all the time only in the car. :-/

_juune

Sorry, I'm probably not much help :( No, I haven't seen the Britax TWE in real life :( It's still both on carseat.se and britax.se sites, so I suppose it's still manufactured and available?
I missed that the 4 year old is still under the booster weight limit :eek: I know that the 9-36 Klippan Triofix is very narrow [was it 44cm?] and goes quite tall with the harness [18kg limit, of course], but that would be one expensive seat to use FF only :( [There is a picture with a 3-across of Triofixes in a Renault or Citroen?]
I have an iziUp sitting in my cupboard, I can take some measurements it if it's any help. On the sikkerautostol.se site I read about a case where the parents opted for the iziUp because the backrest can be adjusted so easily with the knob on the side that they do it every time to buckle the child in a tight 3-across.

newyorkDOC

No way is the TWE considered narrow. IIRC it is 47 cm. I have one and was not able to get it to puzzle with my cabriofix either with or without base. It's a very open seat and has a flat/wide seat area.

The duologic/kiss is narrower I believe. Not sure if it FF though.

newyorkDOC

The Varioguard FF harnesses to 18 kg and is more economical than a Swedish seat. I have one. We love it. It's up on a base so baby easier to buckle a booster that's next to it.

shashoo

Not much help in all the other seats as I am not familiar with what seats are available there but I do have a TWE and even though it is wide it puzzles well with other seats that have a high base. I can't imagine buckling a booster next to it though and my dd has outgrown it ff but still fits rf. Our entire family uses sea bands in the car for motion sickness and dd does better with her motion sickness rf vs ff.

U

Unregistered

I tried out a lot of seats. What I noticed is that the ones who sit high up on a base actually take up more space where I need it. Actually the best fit was the britax versafix. I installed on the isofix spot, but decide to install it on the middle seat, no isofix after I purchased it. Which is when I realized it won't install in my car using seat belt.
Luckily since I just bought it, they gave me my money back.
I went home and checked britax.se (on the mobile diet they don't show all seats which is why twe wasn't showing up for me) the twe is actually slimmer than the versafix, definitely looks lower so I thought that it would work better. Fingers crossed it does! I ordered it today.
Thx for your suggestions and help.

U

Unregistered

Ugh got it in the mail today, none of the installations are stable. I tires rfing and ffing in the two places in the car. Both are completely wobbly. Could the problem be my leather seats? Someone at baby walz some sort of rubber gripper may to go under the seat. Anyone know anything about that?

shashoo

Did you install the rearfacing tethers when trying it rf? Mine doesn't get rock solid until the tethers are tight. Especially when installed in the more upright position.

lil96

I did use the tethers when rfing. The bottom rocked and rocked till it was completely loose. But I don't really want to use it rfing.
I got a gripper pad today and it seems to stay in place better. Well it isn't rocking anymore and fairly solid. I just don't know how safe it is to rely on the gripper seat cover thing?
For right now it is in rfing position behind the passenger side. But I don't like to wrap the tethers around the front seat bending part because the front seat folds all the way over and locks upright and folded and could slice the webbing if someone didn't pay close attention. Also in rfing on the side I can't rely get to my kid in the middle he has to come in from the drivers side and I have to walk around to the passenger side to buckle him. I can't put it rfing in the middle because I think the front seats have to be even for it to rest upon them.
But the rfing install is better than the ffing. The ffing still wobbles more than the rfing even with the gripper pad.
I will call him tomorrow because I really want to check to make sure it is in properly. Because when rfing, the recliner piece gets caught on the bar to move the seat forward sometimes and I just can't imaginary that is safe. But if the recliner is under the twe the seat tilts forward (towards the back if that makes any sense??)
Thanks everyone for helping me out. Once I get everything figured out I will try to get some pictures up:)

newyorkDOC

The swinging flap thing is not a recliner. It's used to get more keg room when RFing. So just ignore it if you want to use it FF. It should remain folded under.

I've currently got my TWE installed FF. The first time I installed it I had a hard time getting it rock solid. Actually, TBH, it's not as rock solid FF as it us RF. There's a tiny bit of wiggle ,maybe 1 cm. I had to play with the headrest on my back seat (we have a 2010 Prius) and actually get into the seat to pull the seat belt tight enough. What I do is pull out the belt entirely, thread it through the shell, buckle it, then I pull out as much slack as possible to get the lap portion as tight as possible. It's better if I'm kneeling in the seat and someone else can pull on the belt. Then I retract the shoulder portion and click it back 1-2 more clicks than feels possible. The position of the shoulder belt across the top corner if the seat makes a huge difference in my install result.

A friend of mine also has a TWE installed FF and she cannot get it tight. It's acceptable at the belt path but not rock solid at all. Personally I was not planning on using it FF as I thought if just switch to isofix booster but it's been a year and I've yet to order one.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Just FYI, the gripper is not improving your installation. It's only masking the problem and in a crash you should not expect it to hold, it will perform as it would without the gripper.

Do you have long buckle stalks? Did you try twisting them down (up to 3 times?)

shashoo

I did use the tethers when rfing. The bottom rocked and rocked till it was completely loose. But I don't really want to use it rfing. I got a gripper pad today and it seems to stay in place better. Well it isn't rocking anymore and fairly solid. I just don't know how safe it is to rely on the gripper seat cover thing? For right now it is in rfing position behind the passenger side. But I don't like to wrap the tethers around the front seat bending part because the front seat folds all the way over and locks upright and folded and could slice the webbing if someone didn't pay close attention. Also in rfing on the side I can't rely get to my kid in the middle he has to come in from the drivers side and I have to walk around to the passenger side to buckle him. I can't put it rfing in the middle because I think the front seats have to be even for it to rest upon them. But the rfing install is better than the ffing. The ffing still wobbles more than the rfing even with the gripper pad. I will call him tomorrow because I really want to check to make sure it is in properly. Because when rfing, the recliner piece gets caught on the bar to move the seat forward sometimes and I just can't imaginary that is safe. But if the recliner is under the twe the seat tilts forward (towards the back if that makes any sense??) Thanks everyone for helping me out. Once I get everything figured out I will try to get some pictures up:)

If you can, take some pics of your ff installation since that is the one that is most important to you and maybe we can help get it tight. I love my TWE for travel cause it is so light and installs easily in almost every car I have tried, rock solid! I just can't imagine it not working but I also never had to work with leather seats...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC