Question Smallest infant seat in canada

U

Unregistered

Hi there,
I am expecting our second child and we need to add another seat to our vehicle. We drive a Hyundai Santa Fe and the back seat is terrible for fitting car seats. We currently have our 11 month old behind the passenger seat rear facing in a true fit. To fit this my seat has to be moved forward quite a bit and my headrest removed. My husband is 6'5" and moving his seat up is not an option, so the infant seat will have to go behind his seat. We had a graco snugride 35 for our ds, but I am wondering what the smallest infant seat on the market would be to fit behind my husbands seat for our newest addition? I really don't want to have to turn my ds forward facing prematurely... Thanks for your help!

ADS

canadiangie

Hi,

What is the date of manufacture of your TrueFit?

And to answer your question, the Chicco KeyFit is probably the shortest front to back seat in Canada. I'm tempted to say Maxi Cosi Mico as well, but the KeyFit is worlds easier to work with, so I'd opt for it.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I can't remember if it still needs 1.5" of clearance between the front seat and shell. Handle over baby's feet is good, though.

Anyone know?

Yes, it still does around the shell. I don't know how that compares to other seats though even with that requirement, I don't believe I've worked with one at all.

jguidinger

Hi there, I posted the pic of my True Fit install. I should mention that my son is quite big for his age (31.5 in and 26 lb at 10 months). I also put a pic of our old snug ride car seat that would be the option for our next child behind the drivers seat. I had to recline the back seat in order to install it. Is this ok? If not we will need to purchase a smaller seat (one that will hopefully fit my child for the appropriate length of time). Also, can I sit the True Fit more upright while rear facing? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 55

jguidinger

Correct install of True Fit and Snugride

Hi there,
I am expecting our second child and would like the keep my eldest (will be 17 months when new baby is born) rear facing. We drive a Santa Fe and the backseat is very small for car seats. I have my true fit installed behind the passenger seat and had to take the head rest off in order to fit the seat properly. This is not an option for behind the drivers seat at my husband is 6'5". I posted the pic of my True Fit install. I should mention that my son is quite big for his age (31.5 in and 26 lb at 10 months). I also put a pic of our old snug ride car seat that would be the option for our next child behind the drivers seat. I had to recline the back seat in order to install it. Is this ok? If not we will need to purchase a smaller seat (one that will hopefully fit my child for the appropriate length of time). This would probably be a key fit? Also, can I sit the True Fit more upright while rear facing? Thanks!

Attachments

• image-2628249794.jpg
    image-2628249794.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2130469725.jpg
    image-2130469725.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image-3102644938.jpg
    image-3102644938.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 48
  • image-3496710182.jpg
    image-3496710182.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 49

canadiangie

That is a very big baby! :)

Can you post a few more pictures? Can you stand back and get more of a side shot. And can you post a side shot of of your seat? Stand back so we can get some perspective on how things are stacking up.

It is extremely unsafe for you to be going without a head restraint; it is even more scary that your head is going to slam back into the top end of a TrueFit if a collision occurred. We really need to get things figured out for you. If you are willing to post your location we might be able to find a good car seat tech for you.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The TF can be as upright as 35 degrees. When you look at your level near his feet, what section is the ball sitting in? We can help you get the angle figured out.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
OP I noticed you started a new thread in a different forum, but I have merged the two and brought the post with the additional photos on over so you can continue to get excellent help.

Posting your location, if you're willing, might mean you can connect in person with a tech who can help you out.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
What year is you Santa Fe? The newest generation or the previous generation. I have the newest generation and have worked/rented the previous models and the back seat is pretty spacious. I agree that removing your headrest is not a safe option. Instead of doing that is it possible to sit your seat more upright and then you can push the whole front seat back a click or two for legroom.

canadiangie

Is the beige towel there to protect the vehicle seat, or to increase the recline of the TrueFit, or maybe it's just sitting there? I can't tell..

jguidinger

Hi! Thank you so much for all the responses! I know our install is less than ideal but I really thought I had made it the safest for our little guy. I am in saskatoon, sk.
The level indicator thing is at 2.
Towel is to increase the recline and to protect the vehicle seat.
There is no infant insert.
Blanket under his legs is one of those car seat blankets to cover him with as it's been frigid here the last month.

I can try moving the seat up more it just puts me very close to the dash board. The seat seems to be quite reclined but is on the "toddler" section of the level. It would be great if we could sit it up even a bit more. Also, if I put my head rest on the car seat will rest against it. Is this ok?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I was thinking a bit more about this and since your son is 26# already, I think you should wait a bit on the infant seat decision since you have a bit of time. I'd wait to see how his weight progresses as you may want to consider replacing his True Fit for a higher weight rear facing seat for him. You could get him a Radian, sell the True Fit, put the Radian in the centre and then an infant seat outboard behind your passenger seat. Easy to click baby in then, and easy to get your older one buckled as someone can sit driver's side to do that. And your hubby would have room to put his seat where he needed.

Second thing, the blanket you are talking about, does that go just under his legs? or is it under his entire body? It sort of looks like it is coming out behind his head as well? If so, you need to pull that out and only put it on top of him.

Third, you have him on the third slots, they almost look a little high in the pics, but now that you have the seat adjusted to a new angle after we talked, and without any blankets under his bum or back, you need to check if the harness is too high. The harness should be at or below his shoulders, but never above.

The infant seat the way it is now though won't work. The rear seat shouldn't be reclined that much and the front seat can't be pressing against it. :( With your hubby being so tall, it is going to be tough to fit things behind him which is why having something centre and passenger outboard would be ideal.

canadiannanny

Contact Travis at the Saskatchewan safety Institute. He oversees all the car seat clinics and is fantastic. He will be able to tell you about upcoming clinics or book you in to see him (I'm a tech in Regina).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC