Helmet for toddler on 4 wheeler?

SPJ&E

We have a somewhat difficult situation at the moment. We live on a hill (we call it a mountain) with a gravel/dirt driveway. It's long. The bottom half is steep. The rest is just long. Cars won't come up it because we seriously need gravel and can't buy it until tax time. I have to get the kids to school in the mornings and come back home, then pick them up from the bus stop and come back home every day. I cannot physically walk that with the baby strapped to my already bad back.

So my brother has a 4 wheeler that we can use to get up/down as needed. We don't go fast or do anything stupid. It's a means of getting up/down and that's it. I put the baby on my back in the Boba. The big kids have a dirtbike helmet to wear. Would a small bike helmet suffice for the baby? I know a full on ATV type helmet would be better, but it would be heavy and I don't know that it is feasible with him in a carrier. I'd like to have SOMETHING on him, just in case. Any ideas?

ADS

MotoMommaNH

I know nearly nothing about helmets except that I'm sure the ATV ones are probably made for a lot more speed with impact instead of bike ones. It's possible there's a crush rating or something involved also in case of a roll over etc. Ugh that's a tough situation you are in; we have a crappy driveway too and if I can't get up it I do hike up with my 3 yo but approaching my 3rd trimester and begging hubby for an AWD car. (Perfectly smooth, recently paved driveway. Just really long and steep and when it snows there's no getting up it in my Accord.)

Hopefully someone comes along with more knowledge! I kind of think it'd be OK at REALLLY slow speeds but the other part of me is so nervous to even think it.

SPJ&E

Our Xterra (it was 4wd) was totalled recently, so we're stuck in this predicament until we get another vehicle (this one will be AWD) in a few weeks. We do go slow, but there's obviously still a risk and we'd like to be as safe as we can under the circumstances.

I hope you get your AWD soon!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I used a bike helmet on my kids for quading until they are big enough to fit the motorsport helmets. I didn't however strap the kids to me in any way since if we bit the dust I wanted the child to land away from me and not under me.

fyrfightermomma

My kids wear good quality bike helmets until the atv helmets fit. And like a pp said, I never wore them on me since I wanted then thrown free if worse came to worse

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I don't know, a steep hill with reduced traction sounds like the place that a rollover would happen if a rollover was going to happen. YKWIM? A rollover is not likely going to happen travelling straight down the middle of a flat, smooth road, but this seems to be setup for one?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I don't know, a steep hill with reduced traction sounds like the place that a rollover would happen if a rollover was going to happen. YKWIM? A rollover is not likely going to happen travelling straight down the middle of a flat, smooth road, but this seems to be setup for one?

If the hill is passable by foot, it's no challenge to an ATV.

MotoMommaNH

My kids wear good quality bike helmets until the atv helmets fit. And like a pp said, I never wore them on me since I wanted then thrown free if worse came to worse

Playing devil's advocate...what's worse: Having the kiddo strapped to you and they'd stay that way if you were thrown :eek: OR holding the kiddo on your lap/straddled seat in front of you with one arm while trying to steer with the other...?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I used a bike helmet on my kids for quading until they are big enough to fit the motorsport helmets. I didn't however strap the kids to me in any way since if we bit the dust I wanted the child to land away from me and not under me.

This. I'd put the wee one in your lap in front of you.

MommyShannon

This. I'd put the wee one in your lap in front of you.
I was sort of thinking this except I'd be too scared of a bump or something smaller making the baby fall. What about using a car seat somehow (maybe not secured on it) so the baby is protected some from the ATV in a roll over.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
A car seat is not going to withstand a rollover anyway. I've never had a problem keeping the kiddo on my lap; it's not really "on" the lap but rather sitting on the seat and between legs.

thtr4me

I agree, that you should not wear baby when riding the ATV. If something happened, your body weight would crush the baby, and a helmet would do little good at that point. I would try to find a way to ride without baby attached directly to you, and use a bike helmet for baby.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Since I clearly don't know anything about ATV's, where would a 2 year old sit that they didn't have the risk of falling off? I'd be scared my 2 year old would take a tumble and then I'd drive over them with the ATV.

OP, got any good AT strollers you can tether to your wrist and push or pull up/down? Or a Chariot with the hiking harness? :D

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Since I clearly don't know anything about ATV's, where would a 2 year old sit that they didn't have the risk of falling off? I'd be scared my 2 year old would take a tumble and then I'd drive over them with the ATV.

OP, got any good AT strollers you can tether to your wrist and push or pull up/down? Or a Chariot with the hiking harness? :D

They sit on the seat in front of the adult, in between the adult's thighs. If the kiddo leans back, they are surrounded by legs and arms. DS would just kinda chill like that and my arms were on either side of his chest. I plowed the driveway many a time like this.

Brianna

J was less than a year old the first time he was on a 4 wheeler- he loved it. He's now 4 and even though he can be a squirmy kid I never had an issue with him moving out of his spot on the 4 wheeler. You'd have to hit a bump pretty hard to throw a kid- I assume OP knows her driveway well enough to know if that would be a concern.

Techno- the one in the very front is 3, behind him is 7, my dad is driving and there's another one behind him that's 9. Everybody stayed in place just fine. (yes, none of them are wearing helmets... the parents didn't care and neither did my dad.) Sorry about size! We've had it much more loaded up though. You could easily fit another 3 adults on there.
12245_10152389111415019_804740372_n.jpg

BananaBoat

How long does it take with the ATV to go up & down the driveway?

Is it short enough that you could leave the baby in a safe location in the home?

We have a long, steep driveway. DD2 is 2.5 & I have no problem leaving her secured in her crib to go to the bottom to get the mail from the mailbox. Just a thought to avoid the situation entirely. I *personally* would feel safER leaving baby securely at home than in an iffy situation on an ATV.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well see, I don't know anything. LOL I thought ATVs were made for one person or two at most with a two seater, and couldn't hold multiple people.

Brianna

The one in my pic is a utility ATV- meant for moving things around. You might have been thinking of a sport ATV- something meant for racing and riding trails on. I probably wouldn't want a kid on one of those.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC