Question If money was no object...

hope41more

We are tentatively due in September with a squish (after 3 losses, I emphasize the word tentatively). It has been 4 years since we've had a squish. He rode in a graco snug ride 35 that we pulled him out of at 3 months because it was so heavy. He also rode center position in the back. Now he rides outboard in a foonf in each car. New squish will also be riding outboard. I'm sure there have been safety advances in 4 years, and I'm enticed at the Aton Q's side impact feature combined with its lightness. Let's pretend you already have the money to buy what you need for a second baby (which shouldn't be a whole lot, but you get the idea). Is the Aton Q different enough from a snug ride 35 that you could be talked into it? I notice the y-harness- why no 5-point harness? Am I missing a seat with better features than the Q? Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Congrats!

If cost was no object, I'd have a tough choice between the Nuna Pipa and Aton Q I think. But honestly, rear-facing seats are inherently so safe when installed and used correctly, I'd have no issues using your existing Snugride, either.

nannykates

I thought the American atons were 5 point.

If you will dislike any infant seat then just use the one you have. If its exclusive to the sr35 then I will not stop you from buying a new fancy infant seat :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If it was the weight of the Snugride you disliked, remember that you aren't required to remove the seat from the car. You can just treat it as you would a convertible seat, and leave it in the car once your little one gets too heavy to carry in the seat. :)

Best wishes for a happy, healthy pregnancy and new squish!

YinzerMama

I loved our sr35 and used it till my son was 2. You might find after a few years your mommy muscles are a lot stronger so slinging that bucket around might not seem to bad. Also as mentioned you can always leave it in the car. I don't think I would buy a new seat provided there is a good bit of time left on the sr. I'd rather put the money into snazzy convertible. Or toys. :)

mscarder

I loved our sr35 and used it till my son was 2. You might find after a few years your mommy muscles are a lot stronger so slinging that bucket around might not seem to bad. Also as mentioned you can always leave it in the car. I don't think I would buy a new seat provided there is a good bit of time left on the sr. I'd rather put the money into snazzy convertible. Or toys. :)

:yeahthat: I'm due with my 4th who will be the 3rd using a snugride30. Its plain and basic with no fancy features. I tryed and tryed to talk myself into buying a Britax of Chicco seat just to try something new but I couldn't do it. For me it was the fact that I know I'll be switching the babe to a convertible when the weather turns in a few months and I'd rather save the money for a nicer convertible. Hopefully a nexfit.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
If I had another, I'd get a new Aton. I loved the one I had for dd2. I loved it so much that it actually used it until the very last possible moment. I was measuring her space daily at the end. It was very hard to be done with it. She was 1yo. I moved my first two to convertibles at 4m.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If money was no object, I would get an Aton 2 in a heartbeat.

Sending sticky vibes and positive thoughts your way!!

jordansmom

Congratulations! If you like the Aton Q, I'd also consider waiting for the new Peg 4-35 infant seat to hit the market. It sounds really promising!

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I'll keep the Chicco Keyfit is my favorite.

It fits little "squishes" well, installs super easy in 99.9% of vehicles, and has fun, gender neutral colors/patterns.

That said, I've not seen the Aton, much less had the chance to use it with a little human.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't have an Aton Q but I have an Aton 2 and I love it! I can't compare it to the snugride because I have never used one of those, but what I personally love about the Cybex infant seats is:

1. They take up much less space.

2. They have a European Beltpath. I actually enjoy installing my seat without the base!

3. The Aton 2 and Aton Q have linear side impact protection and a load leg, which make me feel a lot more secure and confident. I saw a crash test video of the LSP and I was super impressed.

Are these features "worth" the high price tag? Hard to say. We bought ours because it was the only infant seat that would ft comfortably in our small car. For that alone, it was worth it. The other features were a bonus.

thtr4me

If we were having another baby (this would be #3 for us) I think I would skip the bucket completely and go straight to a convertible. I don't think infant car seats should be used outside of the car to carry a baby (with the exception of putting baby into seat in the house, then clicking seat into base in the car). So a lightweight seat is not needed. Since both my babies made it to only 6 and 9 months in the infant seat, it really did not get sufficient use to justify the cost. I would invest in a good convertible that is know to fit newbies well, then take the money saved and buy more baby carriers (wraps, slings, etc).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC