Need 2 car seats for travelling

TwinMomma

Hi everyone,

We're flying to Florida at the end of February and would like to bring our seats on the plane and then later use them in the rental car once we get there. We have 2 Foonfs which obviously are too heavy to travel with, so we would like to buy 2 more. They will likely be used for other trips at some point, or used as spare seats at home, so we don't mind having to spend more money

I have twin 2 year olds (26 mos). They are both tall. DS is 94 cm (~37 in) and 14 kg (~31 lbs). DD is 88 cm (~35in) and 14 kg (~31 lbs)

Some considerations:
-nothing too bulky. would hopefully install pretty quickly on the plane (it'll be stressful trying to install 2 seats..which we've never done on the plane, and juggling 2 rambunctious toddlers at the same time..it's already giving me anxiety)
-easy to install in a bunch of different cars since they'll be mostly travel seats and we never know what rental car we'll get
-ideally be able to install rear facing in a variety of different cars (I'll freak out if I get there and realize it won't fit rear facing)
-my husband is tall and we'd likely have to install a seat behind him
-cost is a bit of an issue since we need 2, but it's not a major concern ex/I know the Cosco Scenera is often recommended as an inexpensive travel seat but we're not too interested in it

Of note, we have a spare Evenflo Triumph I believe but hate it because I don't feel we can get the straps tight enough (with the knob). We've used it once

Is there anywhere I can look up if certain seats will fit on a plane? Is it specific to each airline?

Thanks so much for any help!

ADS

TwinMomma

Help! Any ideas? :)

I did some research and had pretty much decided on the Sure Ride. Until I heard about only being able to use the bottom 3 harness slots for RFing. We went to the story anyway to check it out and the slots were at least 2 inches below my DS' shoulders :( So disappointing
(I'm seriously shocked that anybody could RF for any extended period of time in it...those slots are so low)

So not only is he tall, but most of his length comes in his torso...doesn't make ERFing very easy at all!

Any other options??? I'm worried that all that's left is the Foonf/Radian/Peg. None are great for travel/second seat (due to cost or weight)
We are seriously considering bringing our Foonfs...which is just crazy. 2 Foonfs and 2 rambunctious toddlers in an airport??!! I'm not even sure it's possible
Or buying 2 Radians...which is so expensive

Or we'll have to FF at our destination :( I'm not comfortable with it at all but this is my DH's first choice

Thanks

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Sorry about the delayed response - often weekends are slower around here.

Unfortunately long-torsoed kids have far fewer options :( I would actually consider the SureRide, especially because it will then make an ideal forward-facing lightweight travel seat. Although the highest RF slot is low it's still fine as long as it's not slipping off the shoulders. For the sale price of $100 (or even $140 reg price) I think I'd do it. It's lightweight, simple to use, and will last you as spares/FF for a really long time to come.

Radians would do it...but they are heavy, have lots of extra bits, and there are so many potential install issues in a rental car on the other end that I'm not sure you'd be happy with that in the end. I can't imagine taking two Foonfs and two 2 year olds.

With a long torso they may not fit in a Peg - did you try?

Pixelated

TwinMomma

Sorry about the delayed response - often weekends are slower around here.

Unfortunately long-torsoed kids have far fewer options :( I would actually consider the SureRide, especially because it will then make an ideal forward-facing lightweight travel seat. Although the highest RF slot is low it's still fine as long as it's not slipping off the shoulders. For the sale price of $100 (or even $140 reg price) I think I'd do it. It's lightweight, simple to use, and will last you as spares/FF for a really long time to come.

Radians would do it...but they are heavy, have lots of extra bits, and there are so many potential install issues in a rental car on the other end that I'm not sure you'd be happy with that in the end. I can't imagine taking two Foonfs and two 2 year olds.

With a long torso they may not fit in a Peg - did you try?

Thanks for your help

So I guess there are no other options?? I can't seem to think of any

You're right, I don't think the Peg will work either. And yes, I probably don't want to deal with installing 2 Radians when we arrive

We may pick the Sure Ride. I just want to be sure that it's ok to have the slots so low. I don't think the straps were slipping off his shoulders, but would have to double check. So if I can do him up securely and the straps sit squarely on his shoulders, then it's ok? Or should I tug on them a bit to double check?
And they don't slip off during a crash?

They're on sale for $100 at Babies R Us until tomorrow

Pixelated

We may pick the Sure Ride. I just want to be sure that it's ok to have the slots so low. I don't think the straps were slipping off his shoulders, but would have to double check. So if I can do him up securely and the straps sit squarely on his shoulders, then it's ok? Or should I tug on them a bit to double check?
And they don't slip off during a crash?

They're on sale for $100 at Babies R Us until tomorrow

Set up the seat for them, tighten it up (it has a continuous harness that loops under the bum - if the harness is uneven tug at the hip on the tight side to even it out), make sure the straps are on the shoulders properly to begin with, and then have them wiggle around a bit for a minute or two. As always avoid bulky clothing. I don't know that there's an 'official' way of determining if the straps stay on or not, but this seems logical to me.

Even if ultimately you do not keep them rear-facing in this seat I reiterate that it would be an excellent choice long term for a spare forward-facing seat, so it definitely won't be a waste if you get them.

Bon voyage!

TwinMomma

Thanks for your help!
We went out and bought 2 SureRides. We buckled him in properly and he must've been more settled into the seat because the slots didn't seem nearly as low as last time we tried. The straps definitely weren't slipping off

Looks like a great seat

Thanks again

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC