Unbuckling Chest Clip

scoutingbear

Needing some ideas. 2.5 year old unbuckling chest clip and taking his arms out of the harness. Behavioral techniques seem not to be effective at this point. Ideas? I will post more information as I get it.

ADS

seb3244

I am trying to find a link to this thing that I saw like 1 week ago. It is something to can Velcro on the straps. There is one for each strap and it is like a triangle and it goes down by the elbows and it prevents it so they can't get their arms out.
I know it is in Europe for sure not sure about North America.
I will keep searching :)

seb3244

Found it!! http://5pointplus.com/no-wonder-chest-clips-on-car-seats-are-illegal/ This is a European link. Also you can see the product in these 2 pics
null_zpsf8cbfd92.png
null_zps148f6eb1.png
Hope this helps! And a video on it. I am pretty sure I will get one when my dd gets older.
http://5pointplus.com/about/how-does-it-work/

Lovatic24

Have you tried the the Houdini Strap? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Houdini-Stop-Seat-Chest-Clip/dp/B0044VUXGW/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1390023551&sr=1-2&keywords=chest+clip"]http://www.amazon.com/Houdini-Stop-Seat-Chest-Clip/dp/B0044VUXGW/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1390023551&sr=1-2&keywords=chest+clip[/ame]
If not that maybe the pokey velcro on the part they touch. or you could call the company. the above thing looks interesting too :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Neither of those is approved for car seat use. I *might* make a parental choice to use the first one *if* I was absolutely positive it wasn't pulling the harness outward, but probably not considering I can do the same thing by putting kiddo in a button down shirt and buttoning it on top of the harness for free.

scoutingbear

I really don't like suggesting after market products. Especially those that could interfere with how the seat is designed to function. I have talked to the mom about more behavioral techniques, pokey Velcro, and the buttoned shirt. And even sock puppets. Lol.

Keeyamah

Yeah, I lean towards making it the kiddos style for a while to wear two shirts :) then leave the button down shirt open except in the car seat.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Alternate seat? I had a HORRIBLE time getting an Evenflo chest clip open at class this week. I had to try like eight times, looked like a total idiot in front of the parents.

scoutingbear

I'd like to try to exhaust what options mom can do for less purchasing right now. It's a tricky situation that I'd rather not get into on a public forum, but techs can pm me to collaborate on the other part of the issue if they choose.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
No problem, just trying to brainstorm alternate solutions :) You are welcome to PM me if you want another head considering the whole picture. :)

autumnlily

I helped a friend today with the same issue. Child was undoing a radian xtsl clip.

We cut a toilet paper roll in half (just shy of the half mark) and slipped one side of the chest clip in and then the other to buckle. Her son was no longer strong enough to push the roll and clip and he couldn't fit his fingers in to reach and unbuckle. Mom was very easily able to unbuckle by pushing on the roll.

We stocked up the car with pre cut rolls and pair of scissors in case she did have trouble getting it off. Put the supplies in the storage slot behind the front passenger seat.

I'll see if she will take a picture and send it. I think even only 1" of roll would do the trick too. I wanted to make sure it didn't touch the straps themselves.

Carolinadaisy

Maybe call Graco and see if they gave another approved style chest clip that they can send her. I have a friend who was sent a new one for her son's Graco seat and he stopped unbuckling it.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Ya I'd call Graco. I swear they must have changes their chest clips. I just bought a November 2013 DOM My Ride and the clip is very hard to undo compared to previous Graco seats I've owned. You need to press it in an exact spot and precisely right or it won't open. I found it a serious pain. The clip did not look defective in anyway but I suppose that's always a possibility.

momtoo3

When I called graco about ds3 unbuckling his MR, they gave permission for me to turn the chest clip backwards. It worked for us. Obviously I would call them to make sure that is still okay.

scoutingbear

The parent already got a new chest clip from Graco. I plan to follow up today to see if any of the suggestions have worked yet. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC