Question Car seat info for new parents

mping

I was hoping some techs could help me out. I'm doing my BSN online and my current class, Community Nursing, has me doing a presentation to a group of 3-4 people. Naturally, I picked car seat safety :) I know a lot of info but I'm working on the preliminary part of the paper and need to answer a few questions. These are the two questions that I still need to answer. My scenario is going to my local library and interviewing mothers at a story time and presenting this to whomever agrees. A "needs assessment" basically means to see where they are at right now in their knowledge and what do they need to be taught. So, if you have only 5-7 minutes with someone, what do you teach them? I'm only focusing on buckling properly since there isn't the time for installation. TIA!

"Provide a brief description of the questions used to conduct the needs assessment and a short summary of results."

"Include information that you will need to consider as you develop your teaching materials."

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Needs assessment - I would include Qs like, do you buckle your child each and every trip (including short ones?) Why/why not/are you aware why this is important?

What type of seat (RF/FF Harness/booster) does your child ride in? Do you know when to move up to the next step?

How tight do you make your child's harness? How do you check that it's tight enough? (Also maybe something about bulky winter wear.)

Does your child's seat have a chest clip? Where do you place it?

Are you aware that the buckle is what is designed to hold your child during the crash test, that the chest clip is designed to break/slide down, and that both sides of the buckle need to be buckled in order to properly protect your child?

Also, I know you are not focusing on installation, but you might want to consider asking if they are using the top tether for FFing installations.

I would focus on trying to get five "groupings" of questions. Plan to take maybe 15 seconds to ask/answer and 45 seconds for follow up education before you move on to the next question. That gives you 2 minutes for "overflow" if they have add'l questions or you need to do more in-depth education on a particular point.

I adore the NHTSA document linked above. I would also include some local resources/checkpoints on the bottom or back of the handout and encourage parents (especially those whose answers make you cringe) to go in for a carseat check. If it were me, I would pick the 2-3 most local (to the library) firehouses/fitting stations, and our city's "car seat hotline" number. Or, I would include the full list of area carseat checkpoints, printed on the reverse of the NHTSA flyer. Tailor that to what is available in your community :)

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC