Question need more carseats, so overwhelmed!

U

Unregistered

Hello wise parents/techs/gurus!

So, we have my 5yo (43lbs 43") riding in a Radian RXT ff, harnessed, in my car. My 15month old is in a marathon rf in my car. I don't know when dd will outgrow the RXT.

Now, my question is, I need seats for dh's car as well as for the babysitter/occasional carpool and I don't want to change mine. We have another marathon currently installed rf'ing in dh's car. I would feel comfortable sharing the same seat for both dh's car and the sitter, but would prefer not to (especially for the rf'ing marathon, as I had a tech install it and don't want to start moving it).

Other things to note- we live in the Northeast, so still a few more months of winter left. I think I may be comfortable putting dd in a booster (the 5 year old), but only for the sitter's car, occasional drives, etc.. and still not sure if that's the right thing to do safety-wise.

What seats should I be looking at (also thinking ahead to what my little dd can use eventually). Do I get a second RXT? and/or a HBB? if so, which one? Britax 90 ($$$), or a graco HB turbo booster? Any other seats to consider? Again, I need one seat for the little one (a rf'ing convertible) and 1-2 seats for the older dd.

THANK YOU!!!!

ADS

Cnidaria

You could get combination seat(s) (they go from forward-facing harnessed to booster) for the 5 y/o and pass the Radian down to the younger child.

Combo seats that are well-liked around here include the Harmony Defender, Graco Nautilus and Argos, Evenflo SecureKid, and, as you mentioned, the Britax Frontier. Some kids with long torsos may need the very tall top harness position of the Frontier to get to booster-ready but your 5 y/o sounds average in height.

Another seat to look at is the Evenflo SureRide. It's a convertible seat but it has extremely tall top harness slots for forward-facing. If you needed a seat that could be installed RF for the little one or FF for the older one the SureRide could do that for much less $$ than another Radian.

U

Unregistered

Ok, so I've narrowed it down to getting a Frontier 90 for older dd, keep younger in her marathon for now. Should I be concerned by the latest safety rating on the frontier90?

I was also planning on getting a HBB as a "carpool"/practice-booster. I'm looking at the parkway and the turbo. Any advice on which to buy? $$ not a factor, just want them safe. The HBB (at least for now) will only be for quick trips.

thanks again!

U

Unregistered

one more thing-
the reason i went with the frontier90 over the nauti, is the head slump issue. My dd will still fall asleep in the car (even on short rides) and the head slump in her Radian RXT drives me nuts!!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
All seats pass the same safety tests. There are no safety ratings. The Frontier issue you saw was a "check fit" rating in booster mode. That's all. It just means you need to see how it fits in booster mode on your child.

A Turbo would be fine for carpooling. Make sure you put the screws in the armrests.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC