I had to leave...

tjham

I went to visit a relative the other day, to drop off some outgrown clothes for her little girl. We were standing outside when the dad drove up with the kgn. age son. The boy was in the front seat and neither of them were buckled! I felt sick to my stomach.

She had just asked me in for some tea. I quickly said "Oh no, I have lots to do." and scurried away. I know, I'm a chicken and I wish I had said something.

But...I have gently said things to them in the past (about boosters at age 3 and 7 people (3 adults and 4 children) in a 6 passenger truck :eek:) and sent videos and it made no difference so why would it now? :rolleyes:

I still sneak in pictures of my 6 yr granddaughter still harnessed whenever I send family photos. (I wonder what they say to each other when they see them. :p )

And these darling kids were waited for for years and finally conceived by invitro. The parents are middle class, well off, mom is in the medical field :confused:.

I love the whole family. They are fun to be around at family gatherings.

But this casual attitude about car safety just puzzles me and makes me sad.

ADS

lovinwaves

Hmm...that's a toughy. Dealing with family is always the worst. THEY KNOW that having the child and themselves not buckled is unsafe, but what are you going to do about it..ya know? It's just a sucky situation. :mad:

My reaction probably would have been (I am a bubbly/outgoing person so try to picture that) "OH MY GOODNESS, where are their seatbelts? That wouldn't be pretty if they were in an accident. I'm surprised you let your son ride without a seatbelt. My kids WILL NEVER be allowed to do that." Sounds corny, but it brings up the issue while staying nice as well.

Just know that EVERYONE on this forum has experienced something similar. Something about family really urks me...dunno why but it does :(

tjham

I know, I could just kick myself for not addressing it right then, in a friendly yet shocked manner. (which is how I handled the "7 people in the truck" incident, The mom wasn't there and the dad said he'd never do it again.) Now I would have to send an email (which I have done before, with no response) and not be able to see their reaction or have a discussion. I missed a golden opportunity. :(

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Ya know---having to go through IVF to even have the child, you'd think they'd be more careful. I know it's part of what has driven me to be that much more aware of things.

I thought I was going to be overprotective before---it's gonna be SOOO much worse after losing the child I had.

Susan

bethng

I saw a fellow teacher pull into the parking lot with her 10 year old in the front seat of her taho. I can be pretty bold when it comes to safety in the car and so as we were walking into the school together I said ' L_____, Did I just see your son getting out of the front seat?" She says "oh god, I was hoping you didnt notice" lmbo. Yup I noticed. She hasnt done it since. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC