6+ passenger vehicles?

SPJ&E

We are going to be buying a new vehicle in the next few months and aren't sure what to get. We are leaning toward the 2014 Dodge Journey though. It seems to have everything we need for the price we need to pay.

Our 9 year old is in a backless booster (Top Side). Our almost 8 year old is currently in a highback Turbo, but will likely be switching to a Top Side soon. And our 2 year old rides in a RF Radian. Our 17 year old nephew also lives with us.

So we need at least 6 seats total. We also need AWD. 4WD would be even better, but is apparently pretty rare in our price range. We need to be at...I would say under $26,000.

We really like the Ford Explorer and the fact that it has 4WD, but it's over our price range. The Mazda5 might workd (and we love the price) BUT I don't know if it'll be enough space for us, especially when we go on trips/vacations. We are open to minivans. As long as it has at least 6 seats, is in our price range, and has AWD or 4WD, we're open to it. Suggestions are very much appreciated!

ADS

jjordan

We rented a Dodge Journey and drove it about 18 hours (from Florida to NY) this past week. Dh drove the whole time and said it was fun to drive. Space-wise, it has almost zero cargo space when the third row is in use. However, for 6 passengers, you *could* get 3 kids across the 2nd row and fold down one of the third row seats. Trouble there is having luggage sitting right next to the third row passenger, which would not be so good if you were in a crash.

I'm not sure of the year of the Journey we rented; it had about 30k miles so I'm sure it wasn't a 2014 model, but unless a 2014 has significantly more cargo space than the previous years, I think you'd still run into that problem.

Minivans are hard to find in AWD - AFAIK the only current model with AWD is a Sienna, and that would definitely be over your budget if buying new.

I didn't know the Mazda5 came in AWD? Is that new?

bubbaray

Ford Flex seats 6-7 and comes in AWD. We had a rental for 2 weeks and liked it. We've also rented a Journey but it's more of a 4 seater, zero cargo room when all 3 rows are in use.

ETA just re-read your OP. There is zero chance of fitting 6 passengers AND luggage in a journey. We had 4 passengers (2 adults, 2 kids) and luggage and it was tight. Could have done one more small kid but no more luggage (2 25" suitcases and 2 carry ons)

canadiangie

How on earth are your boys that old already?! I remember when they were babies, in rf Marathons, in your 2dr car.

No advice on a vehicle. I love my Pilot, but not sure if its what you would need. :)

SPJ&E

Yeah, from our research, cargo space is a definite concern with anything for over 5 passengers (aside from a minivan, which like you said are also hard to find in AWD). On a day-to-day basis, it's not a big deal for us. The ONLY time we would need to worry about it would be on vacation. Is it feasible to just get one of those luggage container things for the top of the vehicle, just for that purpose? We've never used one, so I don't know if that's a reasonable option.

We are only in the car for a few minutes each day (total of less than 10 minutes), so we plan to just sit them 3 across for that (easier for school drop off that way). We would use the 3rd row for anything longer than that really. Our nephew doesn't go with us a whole lot, so we wouldn't HAVE to use the 3rd row normally. J has Asperger's/SPD though and has a hard time keeping his hands to himself, so it'll be really nice to get him in his own space in the back (or at least get a seat between him and the baby).

I'll check out the Ford Flex as well.

How on earth are your boys that old already?! I remember when they were babies, in rf Marathons, in your 2dr car.

Tell me about it! Our Xterra was just totalled, so we are back to my trusty 2 door Cavalier for now. Currently have a Turbo, borrowed Scenera (RF), and Top Side in there. I'm really glad we have it and it, but I am looking forward to 4 doors again, lol.

Keeks64

I have had 2 journeys & for car seats they SUCK!!!

We had a 2009 7 pass which essentially useless, no TA's in the 3rd row, poor belt fit for boosters & no chance of putting a RF seat back there :( - access to the 3rd row is a PITA unless you fold down a 3rd row seat & climb through the hatch. It's more 3 across friendly than the new 5 passenger vehicles though which is about the only nice thing I have to say about it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

MommyShannon

What about a used Sienna with AWD? I love how functional minivans (especially the previous model Sienna and Ody) are for a family of 6. We have an Ody but AWD isn't an option.

MyTwoSons

We bought an AWD 2012 Ford Flex last year for less than your stated price, and we love it!

Ours is a 6 seater, so 2 buckets in the second row. It doesn't have the console between the 2nd row seats so we have easier access to the 3rd row since we can't flip either seat forward due to installed harnessed seats. In your case though, you could put the two booster riders in the 3rd, and flip the 2nd row seat reserved for your nephew, to have easy access to the 3rd row in one with a center console. It has a really nice amount of leg room (even in the 3rd row) IMO, and I like that the 2nd row seats can be moved forward/backward to change the leg room amounts in the 2nd and 3rd row (the 2nd row bench seats cannot be moved).

It doesn't have as much cargo space as the newer minivans, but I seem to remember reading that it has more than most of the comparable cross-over SUV's. It definitely has more than our older Dodge Caravan.

FWIW, we love ours!

SPJ&E

So we've settled on a low mileage 2013 Journey (with 3rd row and AWD) to cut our costs even more. We test drove one a couple weeks ago and liked it a lot. Carseat install was super easy and the leg room in the 3rd row is about the same as my Cavalier. Not great, but do-able. The cargo space sucks with the 3rd row up, but that'll only be a problem once a year. We'll have to strap luggage on the roof for sure. I tried to steer her toward a gently used Sienna with AWD but she was having none of it, lol. So the Journey it is and I think it'll work out just fine. If all goes as planned, we'll have it next weekend.

Thanks for the replies!

SPJ&E

I would prefer a van, but the whole AWD thing severely limits our options. Plus, she does not want a van at all. And our budget is tight. We really liked the Journey we test drove, so I think it's a good choice for us.

SPJ&E

Thanks! Going to get ours tomorrow (finally). $19k even (including all taxes/fees) for a 2013 with 23,000 miles on it. It fits our budget and our family. We're excited!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC