Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Baby Jogger City Select in Double Mode through Airport

Has anyone taken a BJCS in double mode through airport security and gate check? Thinking it would be a pain bc of having to take it apart to fit through X-ray machine and for gate check but maybe I'm overthinking this.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Depends on the airport. Some let you go through the special gate and use a wand to check you over, others make you take it apart.

I've gate checked it and that locking mechanism sucks. Mine BJCS got jammed in the baggage belt bc it had opened up in handling. I've never travelled with it again after that.
    Mom to Caterina born January 12, 2009 and FF in a TWE and Julian born September 6, 2012 and RF in a Varioguard

I haven't traveled with the BJCS stroller but have with another stroller which does not go through the X-ray. They send the stroller through special security which includes swabbing it. You just have to empty everything out and they take it from there. Honestly my stroller would probably fit through the X-ray if I folded it and removed the wheels but I don't think the TSA are familiar with stroller features. The bigger concern is what the airline is willing to gate check which varies by airline and as PP mentioned not having your stroller destroyed.
    DD 12/08 FF in FR90, FR85 and booster training in a Graco Affix (44.25", 44 lbs @ 6 years)
    DS 3/13 RF in a Blvd and Evenflo Sureride (35.75", 25 lbs @ 2 years)

Beginning to think that I should just take the city mini single with board and the bjorn one for the rare times neither the toddler nor the preschooler is able to walk. We are doing WDW but since we are staying on the monorail walking is cut down a little

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkDOC View Post
    Depends on the airport. Some let you go through the special gate and use a wand to check you over, others make you take it apart. I've gate checked it and that locking mechanism sucks. Mine BJCS got jammed in the baggage belt bc it had opened up in handling. I've never travelled with it again after that.
    Not as worried about gate checking and handling as it is a private flight and the crew is employees of my husbands company

Quote Originally Posted by cmcki737 View Post
    Beginning to think that I should just take the city mini single with board and the bjorn one for the rare times neither the toddler nor the preschooler is able to walk. We are doing WDW but since we are staying on the monorail walking is cut down a little
    You could bring a small umbrella stroller to get you through the airport and rent a stroller in Disney. There's plenty of companies that will deliver a stroller right to your hotel. I know a few months ago Apple Rental was the cheapest for a double, not sure if that's changed.

Quote Originally Posted by sm1982 View Post
    You could bring a small umbrella stroller to get you through the airport and rent a stroller in Disney. There's plenty of companies that will deliver a stroller right to your hotel. I know a few months ago Apple Rental was the cheapest for a double, not sure if that's changed.
    I'm so leery of stroller rentals bc of issues we had in Atlantis. Did you do well with Apple?

Quote Originally Posted by cmcki737 View Post
    I'm so leery of stroller rentals bc of issues we had in Atlantis. Did you do well with Apple?
    I didn't personally, but close friends of mine did in November and had no problems. The stroller was clean and waiting for them when they arrived at the hotel.

CPST Instructor

Re: Baby Jogger City Select in Double Mode through Airport

When we did WDW, I packed my BJCS in a SKJP/Diono travel bag. It was a tight fit, but with the wheels off it fits. I tossed a few sweatshirts and diapers in to pad the pointy ends of the wheels and checked it and it did fine.
    Jess, CPST and mom to 6 girls
    W(7/28) is rocking an Aton, S(3) rides in a Nextfit or RXT, O(6) has a Frontier 90, the big girls (9, 11) have Monterey Boosters and incognitos, and the oldest is 15, wears a seat belt and is driving!