SuperLatch options?

rfk

I have two Diono seats in one car, they're perfect as space is tight there.

I would like to get two more harness seats for a minivan. SuperLatch is ideal, as we frequently slide the 2nd row captains seats fore/aft, and the belts are on the B-pillars. By comparison, ClickTight would require re-install when sliding those seats. SuperLatch moves with the seat, usable up to 80 lbs.

Only issue is the Diono's are smaller than we need for the minivan, would actually prefer wider seats with integrated cupholders (lack of cupholders is preferable in our other car).

Any suggestions for SuperLatch in a wider seat with integrated cupholders?

Thanks.

ADS

rfk

SuperLATCH is by Diono for Diono Radians. Sorry.

Wendy

Well doesn't have to be called "SuperLatch" (i.e. Kleenex vs. tissue). Does any other manufacturer offer an equivalent to SuperLatch?

I won't object to another pair of Diono's, just have that preference for a larger seat w/ integrated cupholders. But those new seats coming in April will work if that's the only option.

Actually I'm surprised that Britax hasn't done a SuperLatch equivalent, to not have to deal with belts at all is the only thing better than ClickTight...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Dorel allows LATCH to the limits, but they have nothing with higher than 17.5 inch top slots, same as the Radians. The Frontier 90 has 20.5 inch top slots. It'll last years longer harnessed.

Wendy

Syllieann

Well doesn't have to be called "SuperLatch" (i.e. Kleenex vs. tissue). Does any other manufacturer offer an equivalent to SuperLatch?

I won't object to another pair of Diono's, just have that preference for a larger seat w/ integrated cupholders. But those new seats coming in April will work if that's the only option.

Actually I'm surprised that Britax hasn't done a SuperLatch equivalent, to not have to deal with belts at all is the only thing better than ClickTight...

I think Wendy thought you were asking if you could use the superlatch strap on another seat. There is nothing comparable to superlatch. Even on this board, you will get mixed opinions about whose rules should be followed, always defaulting to the most conservative. With new regulations coming in, I seriously doubt anyone else would put the r&d in on something like that. In diono's case, most techs will say that diono can't override the vehicle mfg rules, thus making it pointless. It is a shame really, since lots of parents are able to achieve a better install with latch and in some cases, switching to seatbelt means that some other compromise needs to be made, such as moving from center to outboard.

YinzerMama

I think the problem is car manufacturers who don't seem willing to test and release anything more than the most conservative LATCH limits.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Toyota has given their blessing to whatever the carseat says. The new limits will not be retroactive and don't impact current Radians.

Wendy

rfk

Toyota has given their blessing to whatever the carseat says. The new limits will not be retroactive and don't impact current Radians.

Wendy

...and in fact its a 2011 Sienna that I need the next pair of seats for. So I'd plan to use Latch & harness for as long as possible. Hadn't thought of the height limit though, that's yet another consideration...

Syllieann

...and in fact its a 2011 Sienna that I need the next pair of seats for. So I'd plan to use Latch & harness for as long as possible. Hadn't thought of the height limit though, that's yet another consideration...

The radian allows the shoulders above the top slots so long as the other very generous height limits are met. The tops of ears need to be below top of shell and there is an overall height limit, which has changed a bit but I think the most recent rxt version is in excess of 50". I don't recall the exact limit, maybe 53". So, in use, it will last much longer than other seats that have top slots of the same height.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
57". But it's ears above the top of the shell, and most kids get maybe an inch above the top slots at max before either the ears go over, or they complain about discomfort. So the Frontier would still give more room.

Wendy

rfk

57". But it's ears above the top of the shell, and most kids get maybe an inch above the top slots at max before either the ears go over, or they complain about discomfort. So the Frontier would still give more room.

Wendy

How close will kids (typically) get to 80 lbs before they outgrow the Radian? If I could harness to close to 80 lbs, then switch to booster mode to 120 lbs, I can use Latch without ever using a seat belt.

The primary driver here is that we do slide the captain's chairs in the Sienna fairly often. SuperLatch allows us to not reinstall - similar to the Roundabouts we use now in the van. Frontier would have be re-installed each time (granted, easier w/ ClickTight).

Meanwhile, the Diono's we already have are in a Volvo -- like Toyota, they defer to the seat manufacturer's stated limits.

All that said, I appreciate the dialogue. So please let me know if I'm not thinking of something obvious...

Thanks.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Generally kids outgrow the Radian completely around 60-65 pounds. The booster function is useless if you max out the harness. Hence a lot of the confusion about buying convertibles when you want a long lasting seat and you're pondering the Frontier.

How old and heavy are the kids? Right now my option is thinking to get them to a mature booster age in Radians (or whatever seats they have), then put them in boosters. Since those use the seatbelt and are "reinstalled" every time, moving the seat forward or back doesn't pose an issue.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The highest weight limit I know of given by a tall harnessed seat is the Evenflo SureRide. It allows LATCH be used to 55 lbs. child weight, and has 19" top slots (second tallest on the market, after the Frontier 90/Pinnacle.) Since Toyota defers you could use it to 55 lbs. child weight with LATCH.

rfk

Generally kids outgrow the Radian completely around 60-65 pounds. The booster function is useless if you max out the harness. Hence a lot of the confusion about buying convertibles when you want a long lasting seat and you're pondering the Frontier.

How old and heavy are the kids? Right now my option is thinking to get them to a mature booster age in Radians (or whatever seats they have), then put them in boosters. Since those use the seatbelt and are "reinstalled" every time, moving the seat forward or back doesn't pose an issue.

Wendy

That's really good perspective, thanks. Twins are 3 yrs, a bit over 30 lbs.

I'm swinging back to the Frontier 90's for the Sienna, mainly for the armrests & integrated cupholders. But the Diono's are very nice we have in the Volvo, I wish they did a "larger" as well as the narrow seats.

I posted elsewhere, happen to know when Frontiers get the "check fit" fix? Or what it is? (Perhaps in the armrest geometry?) Supposed to be this month...

Thanks.

Last edited:

Syllieann

That's really good perspective, thanks. Twins are 3 yrs, a bit over 30 lbs.

I'm swinging back to the Frontier 90's for the Sienna, mainly for the armrests & integrated cupholders. But the Diono's are very nice we have in the Volvo, I wish they did a "larger" as well as the narrow seats.

I posted elsewhere, happen to know when Frontiers get the "check fit" fix? Or what it is? (Perhaps in the armrest geometry?) Supposed to be this month...

Thanks.

If the radians are ff and tethered, make sure you don't forget to use the safe stop until they reach 40 lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC