Car stolen, need new car seat.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It sounds like you might have been tethering to the anchor meant for forward facing, so over the top of the seat toward the back of the car? If so, that's not really the preferred method. It's called the Australian method. The preferred method is the Swedish method, and may be what's required in Canada to meet rebound control regulations. For it, you use the included loop of webbing with a metal D-ring on the end to create a tether point toward the front of the car, usually using the front seat's track. That way, the strap is behind the seat and out of your way.

Aussie tethering or Swedish tethering are now REQUIRED in Canada on G4 seats. You would be well advised to inquire of Subaru whether they permit tethering Swedish-style. Otherwise your only option is Aussie style. This is new on the G4 seats. More info here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=260873

Just came back from looking at car seats.
The Radian Dione you can't RF with the child being more than 30 inches.
Was told that if a. Holds legs are bent or touching the seat it is more dangerous and the child needs to FF.
The Foonf and the Peg perego fit shorter than the Britax.
I was told I would need longer straps from Britax.
I am so discouraged.

OP who told you all of that? It's essentially all untrue. The Radian rear-faces to up to 44" or until there is 1.5" of hard shell above the head.

The Foonf and Peg may measure similarly to the Britax, but in reality the way kids fit in them they typically last years longer rear-facing. You may need a longer tether strap for a Britax seat IF you are tethering Aussie-style and your anchor is far away. Britax is working on a tether extender for those situations.

Where are you located? Maybe there's a tech nearby who can help you.

ADS

Naurelover

Aussie tethering or Swedish tethering are now REQUIRED in Canada on G4 seats. You would be well advised to inquire of Subaru whether they permit tethering Swedish-style. Otherwise your only option is Aussie style. This is new on the G4 seats. More info here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=260873

OP who told you all of that? It's essentially all untrue. The Radian rear-faces to up to 44" or until there is 1.5" of hard shell above the head.

The Foonf and Peg may measure similarly to the Britax, but in reality the way kids fit in them they typically last years longer rear-facing. You may need a longer tether strap for a Britax seat IF you are tethering Aussie-style and your anchor is far away. Britax is working on a tether extender for those situations.

Where are you located? Maybe there's a tech nearby who can help you.

We were Aussie tethering until we figured out we could tether Swedish style, but didn't know it was called this. Until we misplaced the tether connector.

In the Roonf can the child's head come up past the moulded seat RFing, can it come to the extended part? I believe it can't in the Britax.

We live in Toronto, in the west end. I went to Macklem's.

Pixelated

We were Aussie tethering until we figured out we could tether Swedish style, but didn't know it was called this. Until we misplaced the tether connector.

In the Roonf can the child's head come up past the moulded seat RFing, can it come to the extended part? I believe it can't in the Britax.

We live in Toronto, in the west end. I went to Macklem's.

In the Foonf the child's head can come to within 1" of the movable headrest - you may have noticed it's reinforced and looks quite a lot like a vehicle head restraint in how it adjusts.

In the Britax you are correct, the child's head can come within 1" of the HARD SHELL, which results in significantly less seated height.

There is a tech on this board in Toronto who I'm sure can help you. I'll ask her to chime in.

Naurelover

In the Foonf the child's head can come to within 1" of the movable headrest - you may have noticed it's reinforced and looks quite a lot like a vehicle head restraint in how it adjusts.

I did, but was told my DD's head couldn't go past the moulded part for RF, the same as the Britax. We tried the G3 Britax.

Just to clarify, so the Foonf the child's head can come above the moulded part onto the moveable headrest, with RF. That would. Make a big difference to extend RF.

In the Britax you are correct, the child's head can come within 1" of the HARD SHELL, which results in significantly less seated height.

There is a tech on this board in Toronto who I'm sure can help you. I'll ask her to chime in.

That would be great, thanks.

Pixelated

Just to clarify, so the Foonf the child's head can come above the moulded part onto the moveable headrest, with RF. That would. Make a big difference to extend RF.

Oh yes indeed. My 3 year old outgrew the Britax seats before she was two, and now at around 40" tall with a long torso (she is big, I know) she still has about 4lbs and at least 1.5" of torso height left in the Foonf. I've not had her in a Peg so I don't know how it compares.

tam_shops

My guy also outgrew the new Britax seat at some point between at 2yo. We didn't try it until he was almost 3yo and he was already too tall for it.
Oh yes indeed. My 3 year old outgrew the Britax seats before she was two, and now at around 40" tall with a long torso (she is big, I know) she still has about 4lbs and at least 1.5" of torso height left in the Foonf. I've not had her in a Peg so I don't know how it compares.

And, agreeing and repeating what everyone else said. Who ever gave you the information about the Diono Radian RF to 30" has old old information, I think that was the information for the original SKJP Radian, back in 2006.

Any certified tech will tell you that legs are commonly broken forward facing, I've never heard, read, seen or know of any child that has broken a leg RF. I've heard techs say, "never heard of a child that has survived a crash w/ a broken leg", meaning the crash was so bad that the family didn't survive the crash, but I've never heard of or read of a child that passed in a crash w/ a broken leg either so...

Indeed, the Diono Radian or Clek Foonf are the best options to RF a 3yo+. Don't forget the Radian has an Angle Aduster that makes the seat more upright.

If the insurance company said, "buy a new seat", you bet I'd be buying a new seat. Who knows what they know, not worth the risk...but, I like buying seats, so will use any excuse! LOL

tam

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
I am here. Where in Toronto are you located?

Unfortunately you have received some bad information from Macklems.

The Diono would be a great seat for your daughter to continue Rear Facing, and using an Angle Adjuster will help give you back your front seat.

I am happy to meet up with you and check the seat install or help with the install.

Feel free to msg me here or look me up on FB (Sharalyn Crossfield)

Naurelover

I am here. Where in Toronto are you in?

i am in a High Park/Junction area

Unfortunately you have received some bad information from Macklems.

i was pretty discouraged, I could hear the staff saying the same thing to another Mom who said she wanted to keep her son rear facing.

The Diono would be a great seat for your daughter to continue Rear Facing, and using an Angle Adjuster will help give you back your front seat.

do you know any stores I can buy it or do I need to order it from Amazon? With the AA, does the car seat affect the head of the person sitting in the front seat, if they are 5'11". Can the passenger put their seat back for leg room and possibly recline a bit
What about a pool noodle, I just read a post from someone suggesting they try a pool noodle until their AA comes in. To see if the seat fits. Is the pool noodle comparable to the AA

I am happy to meet up with you and check the seat install or help with the install.

that would be great, thank you so much.
Will the AA position the car seat high like the Foonf?

Feel free to msg me here or look me up on FB (Sharalyn Crossfield)

I will pm you.

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Original poster, here's a thread I started yesterday with comparisons of height room in a few seats including Britax and Peg Perego. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=261354

Amazing how kids fit so differently! My middle child outgrew the My Ride RF by weight and she was 42.5" tall at the time with a half inch of growing room left (and over 4 years old). With the MR giving a half inch more room than the Roundabout I have sitting here, that means she would have outgrown it by height and weight at the same time. So she would have fit in a Britax seat until 42.5" tall. I wouldn't say she's short torsoed either.

Your child has a super long torso! Not telling you anything you don't know if course! LOL

Pixelated

Amazing how kids fit so differently!
Your child has a super long torso! Not telling you anything you don't know if course! LOL

It really is. My niece, who is 5 weeks older than my daughter, (both 3.5) is the same standing height, or within a half inch or so. If you measure them they appear to have the same inseam. But put them RF in a Britax seat and my child's head sticks out about 3-4" taller than the shell, and niece can still just fit rear-facing. They are just shaped so differently in the derriere I suppose - that must account for much of it (or possibly mine has a big head? but not to look at, hmmm!)

I am constantly reminded that one really must try a child in a seat to know how it will fit rather than relying on measurements alone.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I am constantly reminded that one really must try a child in a seat to know how it will fit rather than relying on measurements alone.

Oh totally. I was thinking the same thing while testing DD out in seats this weekend. It also carries over to seat fit in vehicle. The measurements just don't tell the whole story.

Naurelover

So true!
My daughter s 30 pounds and 30 inches. Her sitting height is 20".
I tried her in the Peg Perego and her head came over the shell, the Britax she had an inch or two. The Radian she had lots of height and the Foonf her head was just a little taller than the main frame.

I want to try her in the Radian and Foonf again and try them in our Subaru Forester.
I will need an AA for the Radian, Does anyone know if any stores sell this or do I need to order it from Amazon?
If I used a pool noodle cut and duct taped would that work as an AA for the Radian?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
So true! My daughter s 30 pounds and 30 inches. Her sitting height is 20". I tried her in the Peg Perego and her head came over the shell, the Britax she had an inch or two.

Did you check if the infant insert was in the Peg? It's this block of foam that hides really well.

Also, recall that the Peg isn't measured to top of shell, it's 1" from the top of the headrest which is above the shell at the max RF height. For reference, in my pics I linked to earlier, my DD is 34" and has 5.5" above her head with the headrest at max RF height.

Last thing to make sure is that you're measuring the height perpendicular to the back of the car seat shell and not parallel to the ground. And that your child is harnessed in and it's at the approximate angle it will be in the vehicle.

Last edited:

Keeyamah

And as far as I know, you can not use pool noodles to replace the AA for the Radian. If you just want to check how it might fit with it, yes, you can use something that is about an inch thick to see if it might fit better with the AA, but not to replace it.

Naurelover

Did you check if the infant insert was in the Peg? It's this block of foam that hides really well.

Also, recall that the Peg isn't measured to top of shell, it's 1" from the top of the headrest which is above the shell at the max RF height. For reference, in my pics I linked to earlier, my DD is 34" and has 5.5" above her head with the headrest at max RF height.

Last thing to make sure is that you're measuring the height perpendicular to the back of the car seat shell and not parallel to the ground. And that your child is harnessed in and it's at the approximate angle it will be in the vehicle.

I'm not sure if I took out the infant insert or not. I know I did with a couple of the others, but nt sure with the Peg Perego.

I also didn't realize the Peg Perego is based in the headrest height and not the frame. I had asked at the store and was told differently. :D

I didn't strap my daughter in the car seats, she just sat in it in the store and they tilted it to how it would be angled in the car.
I found a store that sells the AA, I'm going to get it tonight. :)

Pixelated

I want to try her in the Radian and Foonf again and try them in our Subaru Forester.
I will need an AA for the Radian, Does anyone know if any stores sell this or do I need to order it from Amazon?
If I used a pool noodle cut and duct taped would that work as an AA for the Radian?

When trying the Radian you may run into difficulty in your car depending on the level of the seat bight. Some Subarus have a raised bight, which means the gap between the vehicle seat bottom and seat back is not right at the 'turn' or 'corner' of where the two meet but a little bit above that turn. The design of the Radian requires the prongs on the rear-facing boot to slip into the bight, or snug up closely against that 'turn.' However, the front lip or edge of the Radian (where a child's knees would bend off the edge if forward-facing) must also make contact with the vehicle seat back, and often this is not possible with a raised bight, even with the angle adjuster.

If this type of bight does not apply to your vehicle, disregard. However, if it does, the Radian could easily be incompatible in your vehicle and you'd be better of considering the Foonf or Peg.

A1-raised-seat-bight.jpg

Naurelover

When trying the Radian you may run into difficulty in your car depending on the level of the seat bight. Some Subarus have a raised bight, which means the gap between the vehicle seat bottom and seat back is not right at the 'turn' or 'corner' of where the two meet but a little bit above that turn. The design of the Radian requires the prongs on the rear-facing boot to slip into the bight, or snug up closely against that 'turn.' However, the front lip or edge of the Radian (where a child's knees would bend off the edge if forward-facing) must also make contact with the vehicle seat back, and often this is not possible with a raised bight, even with the angle adjuster.

If this type of bight does not apply to your vehicle, disregard. However, if it does, the Radian could easily be incompatible in your vehicle and you'd be better of considering the Foonf or Peg.

A1-raised-seat-bight.jpg

I think the seat bight meet at the crease, I will be able to double check when we get our car back net week. Is there many cars that The Rafian doesn't fit in? We're not sure what car we will get next, in 2-3 years, maybe a VW
I am going to Toys R Us today and am going to check out Peg Perego and the Radian.
Does the Peg Perego become a booster like the Radian? I was told it doesn't and the Foonf don't only the Radian.

Brianna

I wouldn't count on using the Radian as a booster. It won't fit all children well and the ones it do won't last very long in it at all. A lot of children will have outgrown it by height by the time they are heavy enough or mature enough for a booster as well. You can get a cheap booster when it's time that will fit better and last longer.

MommyShannon

I'm not sure if I took out the infant insert or not. I know I did with a couple of the others, but nt sure with the Peg Perego. I also didn't realize the Peg Perego is based in the headrest height and not the frame. I had asked at the store and was told differently. :D
Just to clarify, it's not with the headrest in the top position. The manual specifies how many clicks up the headrest can be rf. The newer ones have a sticker showing the top position. In THAT position it's outgrown 1" below the top of the headrest. It makes it essentially the same as the Britax seats according to Techno's test.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC