What to do - Infant Seat

longstocking

This past year, especially the past 6 months have been a really rough financial patch for our family. But when you end up pregnant, what can you do? Make the best of it. I am now 37 weeks pregnant and we don't have anything for this baby, other than what we've saved from the other kids.
I have a Keyfit 30 I bought for our first who is now 5. This seat is in great shape. I have babied it in every way possible. But, it expires January 2014. I started doing what I could to save cash for a new seat. Every time I would get some decent cash set aside an emergency would come up and we had to spend the money. Emergency dental, car broke down, kept our electricity on, a roof over our head, etc.
Being so close to my Feb 1st due date I started to panic about not having a seat. I heard that sometimes you can get one for free. I made a few calls, the police station told me I needed to contact this certain organization and they had seats for low income families. I was able to pick up a seat today. I wasn't expecting anything grand but I also wasn't expecting this:
IMG_1678.jpg
I asked them about the seat and the lady emphatically said all seats are guaranteed. We check dates ask the history, etc.
Does this sticker really say what I think it does? Well, it's better than no seat, right?
IMG_1680.JPG
So, now I'm stuck, as the American saying goes, between a rock and a hard place. I don't know what to do. I feel like I am being ungrateful but this is a terrible seat they passed on to me! I'm glad I know better. I can't imagine all the other seats that have been passed out.
Obviously now the best choice it to use my Keyfit that just barely expired but is in otherwise like new condition rather than this seat that has no manual and no known history. I have no way to get another seat. We are living off student loans and money from donating plasma. There is just no easy solution.

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Did you contact your local SafeKids? I know there is a tech in your area listed on Facebook- contact her?
I'd put your keyfit in now because at least you know the history, and look for a way to get a seat in the mean time. Maybe friends will have one with a known history?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you do decide to trust that seat, make sure you read the manual- it requires handle down and 1.5” clearance between it and the seat in front and expires this December...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
6 years. Absolutely do not use without reading the manual, you can get the manual online (either on their website or by emailing if needed. Check the measurements and data forum for a link.)

I personally would be so uncomfortable with it my tough choice decision would be to use the keyfit slightly past expiration while looking. That would be my personal informed decision. I'd also be exploring options with safekids and local techs, of course.

Kel

I would use the keyfit now, and start saving for a sureride. It will fit newborns-booster age. It goes on sale for 79 pretty often.

Dillipop

Is it used?

How about getting a scenera? They can still be found at Walmart for $40 and usually work well for little babies.

momtoo3

I'm not sure if it is true but I saw on FB this morning that BRU is doing their trade-in event again later in January. You get a coupon that is good for 25% in store on the day of the trade only. If you can swing it, I would trade in that seat and get a Sureride...or another seat if there is one in the budget but the Sureride would take you from newborn to booster.

katymyers

That seat is obviously used, there's no way I could feel comfortable using it. I also think you should just use your Keyfit and start busting your buns to try and get a new convertible. That's the choice I would make if I were in your situation.

jjordan

Their guarantee is that "they ask the history"???!? That's completely bizarre. There is no way I would trust that seat. I agree with the others, use the Keyfit if you need to until you can get something else. Do you have any friends/family that you expect to give you baby gifts? Do you have any friends who have older infants or toddlers that could lend you an infant seat for a few months?

Mom2Connor

I would use the key fit and honestly not stress about it at all. It isn't going to suddenly fall apart on feb 1, 2014

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's not, but we don't KNOW what the margin of error is, so best not to risk falling outside it once the OP is able to procure another new or trusted, history-known seat.

lourdes

I was thinking the same about getting a scenera from walmart... OP, where are you from???

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree with getting a Scenera or other inexpensive convertible. Ask family for help -- if each grandparent chipped in $10, there's your seat. I would not use an expired seat or an unknown-history seat.

VoodooChile

It sounds like you're getting good advice. If it were me, I'd probably use the Keyfit until I could get a Sureride (I really like the idea about grandparents chipping in; it's a nice idea for a new baby gift).
Congratulations on the new baby, btw!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Taking my CPS Technician hat off for a moment, speaking mom to mom, if I were in a situation where my choice was a used seat with an unknown history or a very good condition but barely expired seat with a known clean history, I would use the barely expired seat only until I could afford a new convertible. A SureRide would be awesome but a Scenera or an Apt would do the job if a SureRide price tag was beyond reach.

As a technician, I obviously cannot recommend either seat. But I can't recommend no seat either. I do have a healthy respect for expiration dates. I have experienced an infant seat that was barely expired (not even yet 6 years old; it was a Peg) "failing" on me. It wasn't being used in the car so obviously I'm not talking about failure in a crash, but the plastic had become too flexible with age and it got stuck in its base. Even so, I would just have to say you do the best you can with what you have to work with, and perhaps a little family fundraising toward baby's next seat to be used sooner rather than later will resolve the issue.

ks227

I am not a tech, but I do have knowledge of plastic degradation. No, the seat won't fall apart on Feb. 1st and there is a factor of safety (like a cushion) built into the expiration date re: degradation of the plastic's mechanical properties, but we don't know if that's a 10% FOS or a 100% FOS. My guess is that it's somewhere in between, but there's no easy and non-destructive way to know your individual seat's current structural integrity.

As a parent I would definitely use the barely-expired seat with known history over the unexpired seat with unknown history - but ONLY until you are able to get an inexpensive convertible for the baby. Saving for a new seat would be priority #1 after paying for shelter, food, and keeping the lights/heat on.

I know how hard it is to deal with financial uncertainties while pregnant. My husband was laid off when I was 17 weeks along with our 2nd, and his job hunt took a lot longer than expected; it took him 5 months to find a new job and he didn't actually start until she was a week and a half old. 2013 was a very difficult year for us financially and we only made it through with the help of generous family. You just do the best you can with the hand you're dealt. :)

bpirof

Target has some infant seats clearanced for as low as $30 in store... Maybe you can get some help from family members? :-/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC