fit check

erind

DS is 5y 4m. He is about 45 lbs and even with the top slots of his radian. What do you think of this fit? It is for the secondary car.

Last edited:
ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
While the belt placement looks good, he looks like he is not sitting all the way back, which can lead to submarining.

Keeyamah

Yeah, it kinda looks to me like he needs to scoot his bum all the way back as well. But I'm still new to the booster world, just have one as a back up for my nieces.

erind

Here is another one. I moved the headrest up one. His bum is all the way back.

Last edited:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
All the way back at the bight of the seat, or all the way as back until his knees bend at the edge of the booster?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The shoulder belt - which looked very close to the neck in the first photos - looks to be too close to the edge of the shoulder in the latter set of photos. Is it just me?

erind

His bum is against the back of the seat. Is it better to have the shoulder belt closer to the neck or the edge of the shoulder? He sits in the seat well and stays in position.

disbugsmomma

His bum is against the back of the seat. Is it better to have the shoulder belt closer to the neck or the edge of the shoulder? He sits in the seat well and stays in position.

Yes, it's better closer to the neck because you don't want the belt slipping off his shoulder.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Right. In a crash, his body will try to climb up & over the shoulder belt, so you want it squarely on the center of his shoulder. A bit closer to the neck isn't a safety concern, except in the sense that some kids find it uncomfortable and therefore attempt to tuck the shoulder belt behind their back or under their arm - which is obviously dangerous.

If you look up the IIHS fit test results, there are some diagrams of what they consider good belt fit. They are really helpful to see what to aim for :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep. As long as the belt guides are above his shoulder, if you have to choose too close to neck or too close to edge, choose the neck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC