Safe Kids on GMA this Monday

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
Safe Kids will be doing a live demo on 5pt harness car seats on Good Morning America this Monday (10/1). A taped interview with the Miller family will preceed the live demo. Please spread the word :)

ADS

cryswilkins

Thanks I just set my DVR to record it. I am hoping that my DD will sleep till 9 am tomorrow and I will miss it, lol.

clothdiapermom

Senior Community Member
Just saw this. Not too bad, but I think as a parent if I didn't have any cpst training I would still be confused after there segment.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I just caught the last minute of it (when they were discussing the cost of a HWH seat versus a booster - why didn't they mention the Apex/Biltmore that you can get for about $100?)

I was just excited to see it :eek: I hope they gave good info in it. I wonder if they'll have the segment online anywhere?

crunchierthanthou

Hmm. I think it was well done overall, but I don't know that I'd call the Triumph Advance "jumbo sized" and it certainly doesn't go to 65 or 80 lbs. All I'm saying is they could have picked a better example for true HWH seats.

StarrNanny

True, they could have picked a better example for HWH seats, and i would have liked for her to buckle the doll in properly into the car seat and the booster to show that it doesn't take that much more time or effort to do one vs the other.

In the end it was pretty well presented and I'm just glad that HWH is making it's way into the national media... paving the way for parents to all be better educated and not look at us like a bunch of crazies! :p

amyg530

yeah it was good, but of course could have been better, i think they pointed out a few important things, #1 killer, booster misuse, 5pt being better for less mature kids, and for kids who fall asleep. i do wish they would have showed some/all of the higher weight seats as well as prices b/c i think if more people realized that the apex was a HWH option for under $100 that they would consider it.

scatterbunny

I thought they did a really good job, actually--much better presentation, much more complete, than most other media stories on CPS. :) I think leading into the live part with portions of Kyle's video, playing the Nickelback song, was a good idea. I think it really grabs a parent's attention, makes the practical advice given later more relevant and important.

I think overall the piece will leave many parents convinced that a child is not necessarily ready for a booster at 40 pounds, and that they should at least look at the HWH seats. Showing the Triumph Advance was good, IMO, because Evenflo as a company and the Triumph as a model are very, very popular and well-known, and it's a lower-cost HWH option that folks might be able to justify or afford.

AND, when discussing price, they said most boosters are $50-$100, and most HWH seats are $100-$300. No, they didn't mention the Apex specifically, but they did say you can find HWH seats for $100.

I think it was a really great piece, overall.

Good job, GMA and the KDMF! :D

beebear23

Senior Community Member
I agree w/Jenny. I thought it was pretty good and touched on a lot of good points. And I also think showing the Evenflo was good b/c most parents know Evenflo. They know that brand, so we might see more people using these or getting online to find out more about them and discovering the other brands too.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I'm wondering how the Radian fits the "jumbo" category. The Evenflo TA *is* huge, and no one can deny that the Regent is, but the Radian???

Ultimately, a good news story. We'll be bombarded in the next few days, I bet. :D

CrabbyBunchX3

I agree with Jenny.

I thought the story was put together very well and plan to share it with friends who may not have seen the broadcast this am.

scatterbunny

The average width of the 40 pound weight limit convertibles listed on carseatdata.org is 17.8 inches. Most of those have shell heights of 21-23 inches.

Other than the Radian, most of the HWH seats are 19-21.5 inches wide. Most of these HWH seats have shell heights of 25-28 inches.

So technically they could be seen as "jumbo" to many folks. :p Especially to parents dealing with three-across. Thank goodness for the Radian--I just wish it were more compatible with seatbelt installations in more vehicles.

mimieliza

I thought that was a good report - it grabbed you emotionally before going into the important details. I got teary when Mrs. Miller was speaking.

I wish they would actually show which seats people should consider. Even just to mention, "this is the Evenflo Triumph Advance, it goes to 50 lbs, it's about $130, available at Target, Walmart and Babies R US," would send parents on a mission to get that seat rather than feeling too confused by their options to do anything.

scatterbunny

I agree with that last point, but at the same time, maybe they didn't want to be seen as advertising brands?

I'm happy also, that they didn't focus solely on the 80 pound limit seats, as the KDMF does. I understand getting the most out of a seat, and that's great, but many families who already have 30-something pound kids in boosters will probably be a little freaked out at the idea of harnessing to 80 pounds (thinking of the area I live in). It's just an unheard-of concept right now. Hopefully this GMA segment is the beginning of a turning point in our society, too happy to rush kids to the next step, so eager to see them "advance" and grow up.

I sent an email with the GMA video link, a link to the KDMF and a link to the Safe Kids tech locator to a bunch of people on my contact list, and urged them to forward it on.

bombedier

Senior Community Member
Phew - what a morning! Thank you for your continued support!

We have been bombarded with emails and applications today.

We began the day at 400 children on our waiting list - I reckon we will end the day at 1000. So awareness has been raised for sure!

The foundation has also just begun selling the Radian line of seats - all profits go to the foundation. We've received quite a number of orders today for seats already.

We received about $125 in direct donations. However, it takes $200 to donate a seat to a child. We have a LOT LOT LOT of fundraising to do.

If you can assist in any way to help raise some funds for the foundation (any amount is great), then it will help us immensely!

Thank you!

scatterbunny

I'm trying to brainstorm a way to raise some money to donate. Car safety just isn't too highly thought of around here. :(

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Overall, it was about as good as can be expected for a 4 minute segment. My big concern is that some parents may come away from it thinking that a booster is worthless for their 6-10 year old.

scatterbunny

Hopefully that doesn't happen. It seemed like they focused on not rushing to a booster at 3-4yo and 40#; considering HWH options first.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC