Glider Board, X Rider, or something else?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We're going to Disney World and I need to find a stroller solution. I was a pro at handling this at Disneyland, but those were shorter trips. This time will be many days and a long trip to get there, so we and the kids will likely tire out at some point. Usually I've relied on baby-wearing and sharing the stroller, but...no. I'll still wear the younger one a lot, but there will be times I don't want to carry anyone.

So, anyway.

Kids in question are 27 months and 4.5 years (about 35 lbs).

Stroller in question is a BJCM (single, obviously). I also have a BOB Revolution, but I don't think I'm going to take that one unless someone gives me a very convincing reason why I should.

I want a glider board or something for the 4-year-old, so I thought I'd get the Baby Jogger one, but when I went to Amazon, it turns out I have other options! LOL

This looks way cool: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Englacha-2-In-1-Junior-Rider-Black/dp/B001AQLGO2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388959826&sr=8-2&keywords=Baby+jogger+board#productDetails"]Amazon.com: Englacha 2-In-1 Junior X Rider, Black: Baby[/ame] but is it practical for a 4-year-old? Will I be able to push the stroller?

What do you do with the boards when you fold the stroller? You need to remove them, right? So if we're using Disney transportation, I'll be stuck holding the thing, huh?

Do I have other options? Tell me what to do!

ADS

Mary_Ann

I just went to Disney world with my 5yo and 10 mo daughters. I rent a BJCM double and it was a life saver! It was a pain to fold and carry on the bus but it was perfect once in the park. If you can rent one, do it!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not sure I want to deal with a double. We're driving, so I SUPPOSE I could take my BOB and my BJCM... We will have three adults for most of the time... That seems like kind of a pain, though, but I'll think about it.

Mary_Ann

I rent mine with Apple stroller for $55 for 5 days. We also drove and it was great to not have a stroller in the trunk. It was my first time with a double side by side and even though it was large, we didn't have much trouble manoeuvering it through the crowd. I really loved how easy it was for dd to get in and out of the stroller and she loved it too. She wouldn't have walked/stood all that time.

kaharris83

We went in November and I was planning to rent with Apple Strollers, but at the last minute bought a double City Mini GT. It was the perfect Disney stroller. Folded up nicely for the buses and we just rolled it right on the monorails and boats.

ETA I thought about 2 singles but decided against it as it was easier to only need one person in charge of the stroller while the other was in charge of the kids.

wnkw

I would not take 2. Rent a double if you need to. Is wearing the younger when the older needs a break an option? That's what we do.

Eta we don't have a board so I don't know much about them, but are they easy to break/come off? That'd be something to consider as cast members are constantly rearranging strollers.

Curious as to when you're going.. we'll be there the last week of Feb.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I can and will wear the younger one at times, but I worry that by, say, day 6, the older one will need more breaks and so will I. I think a double stroller would be overkill, but having the option for the older one to ride along on the back of the stroller would be nice.

In theory.

ed_tricia

A double might be handy. We took our kids to Disney World last Jan for a week and the 7 yr old even needed a break in the stroller. Little one was 2.5. When she wanted to walk, we let the big one ride. We only took a single, but on the disney forums I followed while planning, many people suggested having a stroller for any kid under five, even though they are out of one under other circumstances. I wore a pedometer and we walked six miles a day, and we did not hit some of the big rides that are so spread out-dh did those on his own, so he likely walked even more.
We are doing Disneyland when our kids will be 10, 6, & 3, and I will take a single stroller, but if they were closer in age I might do a double.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Do they get along? If so, I would just plan on letting them share the seat in a pinch. I used to do that with my kids. Combined with a foot board, they should be fine. The boards usually go on/off fairly easily once you have the hardware attached. I'm sure there are reviews saying which ones fit best on your stroller.

Of course, with a double, you have more space for holding jackets & souvenirs. If they won't share the seat well, bring/rent a double. I think Disney would make for a looooong day for a 4 yo.

ebp913

I haven't been to DW but I hear from people regularly that all that walking gets to even the best older kid walkers. I would do a double stroller. Even if your older one only rides a little during the day, I bet they will want to sit for the long walks out of the park in the evening. I don't ever hear people regretting taking a double, only people who took a single and regretted it.

Also, I had the Junior X Rider and it is great but you will kick it with most strollers which gets annoying for extended periods of time. I would never take one to Disney on a single. Maybe on a double stroller if it could be out to the side so I wouldn't kick it at all but that's the only way I would do it.

ed_tricia

It is also nice to give them a spot to sit when waiting for parades, or one parent and the stroller save a spot and the other parent can take kids to restroom or grab snacks.
I think someone mentioned, it is nice to have sonewhere to toss jackets (it can be a bit chilly morning and night) & water bottles or whatever.
Last thought, it can be crazy trying to navigate, esp after fireworks when it is dark and everyone is concentrated in one area of the park. It is nice to have kids contained so they cant get separated in the crowd.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
They're bigger than a single, but not by THAT much. I would say using a stroller in a crowd is much harder than just babywearing in a crowd. Using a double stroller in a crowd isn't noticeably harder than using a single.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Hmm. All right. If I rent a double from a place down there, do they deliver to the hotel or do we have to pick it up?

jordansmom

We did a double last spring and I don't regret it at all. By the end of the day DS1 needed it and he was about 4 years at that time and used to a lot of walking. I had no problem navigating through the parks. A home I have a Valco glider board and it would have been a much bigger pain to use with a single in DW, IMO. Folding with it is several more steps and with getting off and on transportation, a double was considerably easier. Plus a bigger basket to keep all our extras!

I'm pretty sure rental places will deliver directly to your hotel, but I haven't used one personally.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC