Question Diono Radian in 2014 Honda Odyssey???

Does anyone have experience installing a Diono in the Honda Odyssey. I'm considering buying one to rear face dd in middle seat of second row. Are there any issues with install???

ADS

YinzerMama

I am not happy with how it installs there. I can get a technically good at the base installation but the whole thing feels tippy and unstable to me. There is no where for the little legs of the radian base to go because the middle seat of the ody folds in a weird place.

Here is a video of it.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=243422

There are people that have one there and are OK with it, but I just don't like how it feels there.

lpperry

I have no problem with one there with an angle adjuster. I moved it because my older kids were fighting sitting next to each other, so I put the baby in the CCO in the middle instead. When the Radian was there, I had an 16 month old there until she was about 2, I think. Radian seemed to have a great install to me.

smileyblue4

I keep ours in the captain's chair. It feels more secure to me. I did try it once in the middle and felt iffy about it even with the angle adjuster. I may give it another try because 3 across is about to become my new normal this spring and it would be nice to have that option.
I remember seeing on the blog review that the MyRide installed well in the middle seat rear facing. Hopefully you get many more replies. I'm also curious what others' experience is with the Radian in the middle seat...

YinzerMama

Trying it with the AA and not any happier.

Here is what I find. It is tight tight tight at the belt path which I know is where you are supposed to grab and check. But the back part of the seat slides back and forth on the seat a LOT. I don't know if this is not supposed to matter and I am just being too nitpicky and am used to solid solid solid installations in seats with more of a cup shape to them.

I just don't like how it feels.

I also find that while those little feet don't have a place to go because of the weird bight placement of the plus one seat, there is a plastic nub at either edge of the seat that seems to hold the base/feet in position with regard to side to side movement. So it's possible that it's not really in there with less of an inch of movement because it is properly installed but rather because of these two plastic parts preventing side to side movement right there.

Should I ignore wide movement in the butt of the seat so long as the belt path is tight?

It LOOKS beautiful and like it was made to go there but I just don't like how much wiggle is in the butt. But again, maybe I am being too picky here. It would be really nice to be able to use it there, it just never felt ideal to me, and if I can pick between technically acceptable and solid, I pick solid.

eta - if I use the AA and stick the feet of the boot in the bight - which I have read in a few places you are not supposed to do but just for the sake of trying it - it installs pretty much as perfectly as a captain's chair. I'd be perfectly happy to use it like that but it's not a correct installation, as far as I know. :(

eta again - I just want to re-re-iterate that as far as I know this is wrong, lest someone point out that it is wrong - but if I am wrong about this being wrong - this is one time I would LOVE to be wrong. It really installs wonderfully if you lift the feet up to the bight and I wish Honda had put the bight in the usual location as they did with the old plus-one seat. This is where I am reading that you can't do it, and I have *only* done it to see what happens.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=228758

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC