Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question Diono Radian in 2014 Honda Odyssey???

Does anyone have experience installing a Diono in the Honda Odyssey. I'm considering buying one to rear face dd in middle seat of second row. Are there any issues with install???

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Diono Radian in 2014 Honda Odyssey???

I am not happy with how it installs there. I can get a technically good at the base installation but the whole thing feels tippy and unstable to me. There is no where for the little legs of the radian base to go because the middle seat of the ody folds in a weird place.

Here is a video of it.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=243422

There are people that have one there and are OK with it, but I just don't like how it feels there.

4. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member lpperry's Avatar

I have no problem with one there with an angle adjuster. I moved it because my older kids were fighting sitting next to each other, so I put the baby in the CCO in the middle instead. When the Radian was there, I had an 16 month old there until she was about 2, I think. Radian seemed to have a great install to me.

Oliver (5 years) ff Radian RXT, Claudia (3 1/2 years) rf Radian RXT, Avery (2 years months) rf Coccoro, Vivian (3-14) rf Coccoro, Madeline (9) Literider,

6. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

I keep ours in the captain's chair. It feels more secure to me. I did try it once in the middle and felt iffy about it even with the angle adjuster. I may give it another try because 3 across is about to become my new normal this spring and it would be nice to have that option.
    I remember seeing on the blog review that the MyRide installed well in the middle seat rear facing. Hopefully you get many more replies. I'm also curious what others' experience is with the Radian in the middle seat...
    DS, 8, Graco Affix
    DD, 6, Graco Affix
    DD, 3, Recaro ProSport
    in a 2013 Honda Odyssey

CPS Fanatic

Trying it with the AA and not any happier.

Here is what I find. It is tight tight tight at the belt path which I know is where you are supposed to grab and check. But the back part of the seat slides back and forth on the seat a LOT. I don't know if this is not supposed to matter and I am just being too nitpicky and am used to solid solid solid installations in seats with more of a cup shape to them.

I just don't like how it feels.

I also find that while those little feet don't have a place to go because of the weird bight placement of the plus one seat, there is a plastic nub at either edge of the seat that seems to hold the base/feet in position with regard to side to side movement. So it's possible that it's not really in there with less of an inch of movement because it is properly installed but rather because of these two plastic parts preventing side to side movement right there.

Should I ignore wide movement in the butt of the seat so long as the belt path is tight?

It LOOKS beautiful and like it was made to go there but I just don't like how much wiggle is in the butt. But again, maybe I am being too picky here. It would be really nice to be able to use it there, it just never felt ideal to me, and if I can pick between technically acceptable and solid, I pick solid.

eta - if I use the AA and stick the feet of the boot in the bight - which I have read in a few places you are not supposed to do but just for the sake of trying it - it installs pretty much as perfectly as a captain's chair. I'd be perfectly happy to use it like that but it's not a correct installation, as far as I know.

eta again - I just want to re-re-iterate that as far as I know this is wrong, lest someone point out that it is wrong - but if I am wrong about this being wrong - this is one time I would LOVE to be wrong. It really installs wonderfully if you lift the feet up to the bight and I wish Honda had put the bight in the usual location as they did with the old plus-one seat. This is where I am reading that you can't do it, and I have *only* done it to see what happens.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=228758
    Last edited by YinzerMama; 01-06-2014 at 08:47 PM.