2014 Mazda3

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Does anyone have one and want to provide me with any feedback? Especially on car seat installs. The outboard seats are slightly lower than the centre and just wondering if there are any issues with that.

I need a booster and a RF convertible in it. Would love if I could have those centre and outboard so I could still fit an adult outboard (the largest adult we need to fit is just under 6' and 145# so it's fine if it's squishy ;)). Not a deal breaker if we can't fit 3.

The model has been completely redesigned for 2014, so I'm not looking for feedback on 2013 or prior model years. Sorry!

I see on IIHS it has a rollover sensor to deploy the side curtains in an impending rollover, but uncertain if all models have that. Since it's an IIHS TSP+ the model they are talking about has all the optional crash prevention features, and we'd be getting the model below that. So, the car would meet the TSP criteria without that, but that still doesn't tell me whether all models have the rollover sensor.

ETA: I've seen a few Canadian dealers list the rollover sensor on all of the Canadian models so it looks like all of them do have it. But I wish Mazda had that info on their web site rather than just dealer web sites.

ADS

aeormsby

Just seeing this now. We test drove one a couple months ago and are going back next week to look again (and probably buy).

The center was raised some and the space between the seatbelt in the center was pretty small. DS just used his booster outboard when we test drove (removable headrests in all 3 backseat spots :thumbsup:)

I can take a better look next week or after we get ours if you want.

ETA - we're looking at getting the i-Touring model, 5 door, manual transmission.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Sweet!! Which one did you get? We'll probably have to order what we want because I haven't seen any exactly what we want anywhere close to us.

Our models are different here. We got the GS Sport (that's what our 5 doors are called here) in automatic with convenience and moonroof packages, which seems to be like a combo of your i Touring and i Grand Touring, has some features from each and lacks features from each at the same time. We've got the moonroof, heated seats, heated mirrors, leather steering wheel/gear shifter but no leather seats. Then we have a 6 speaker audio system which doesn't seem to be offered in the USA (4 or the Bose 9 speaker there), rain sensing wipers and automatic on/off headlights. But we don't have any of the cool, collision detection features. To get that we had to move up to the 2.5L engine, top of the line model with every package, and the cost jump was huge. As well, we tried to be practical all we actually needed was 4 (or 5) doors, 4 wheels, safe and reliable. LOL

I was having trouble finding the exact one I wanted in the colour I wanted as well. Something to watch out for, according to IIHS, Mazda made a suspension change to models made after October 2013 (so I am assuming November 2013 and beyond) which gives it a Good rating in the small overlap front crash test. If you're ordering one, you're obviously going to get one made after October. I also wanted one made in Japan so that gave me November or December production dates I was looking for; January and forward are made at the new plant in Mexico. Not that there's anything wrong with Mexico, I was more worried about new production plant and the issues that can come with that.

Last edited:

T4K

No way! It's mine! LOL Well it's actually the family second vehicle. Her and I will basically be sharing it between work, school, extra curricular activities.

Ok cool!! Just wondering!

My mom couldn't wait for me to get my license so I could cart myself everywhere. lol.

MotoMommaNH

Techno, since you are in Canada, I have to ask....how is it in the weather/snow?? Tossing up the Impreza hatch back and the Mazda. I have a pretty steep and long driveway and you either need aggressive snow tires or AWD to make it up.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Ok cool!! Just wondering! My mom couldn't wait for me to get my license so I could cart myself everywhere. lol.

In some ways I want that, in others I want to drive her everywhere and make sure she gets there and home safe. ;)

But I figure it's better for the vehicle to be mine and DH's so we have some control over it. :p

T4K

In some ways I want that, in others I want to drive her everywhere and make sure she gets there and home safe. ;) But I figure it's better for the vehicle to be mine and DH's so we have some control over it. :p

Yes, I never had a vehicle that was solely mine. I also never had to worry about weather conditions because it was a tropical environment. School wasn't that far and didn't involve any highway or freeway driving.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Techno, since you are in Canada, I have to ask....how is it in the weather/snow?? Tossing up the Impreza hatch back and the Mazda. I have a pretty steep and long driveway and you either need aggressive snow tires or AWD to make it up.

We were also choosing between those two and the 2014 Honda Civic. We test drove the Mazda without winter tires and it was typical for a light, front wheel drive vehicle with all seasons. Needed to take off slowly in heavy snow and ice. But they had a demo vehicle with winter tires as well so we drive it the following day and a world of difference. It had Michelin X-Ice on it. So respectable but not as good as our studded Nokians on our SUV.

It handled well enough for me to be willing to give up the AWD on the Impreza. The Mazda was already ahead on exterior looks, interior features and stereo (the Impreza sounds like a tin can and is honestly unusable IMO), so once I was happy with it and a set of winter tires, it won me over.

That being said, if I'd bought the Subaru, we'd still have got winter tires as is want them for better stopping and overall grip in slippery conditions.

MotoMommaNH

Yeah, looking at the tires that come on the Impreza, Id say needing snows would be a possibility.
Thats awesome they had one with snows to test drive!! It does make a Huuuge difference on my Accord and that's a big heavy car so I was concerned with the lighter car AND no AWD. Sounds like its do able though!

MotoMommaNH

Forgive me as I'm on my phone and cant see your siggy, but you have a rear facing convertible, no? Just wonder how that fits for loading/unloading as the roof line looks kinda low.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'm driving with all seasons right now as they had to order in our rims for the winter tires so I won't have them until next week. My route to work is minimal snow though and the temps are decent so I don't have to worry about the rubber being too hard for decent traction.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC