Question No legroom in Recaro Proride...what seat should I buy to rf now?

Help! My daughter 14 months, almost 20 pounds, and in the 95th percentile for height. I drive a 2014 Honda Odyssey and 2010 Camry. Here's my problem: I'm satisfied with the safety of my Recaro Proride, but my daughters legs are ALREADY squished and I want to rear face well past 2 years old (as long as possible). I've heard the Britax is no better regarding leg room, and the Diono is hard to install. But I don't know anything other than that. I want the safest seat possible (side impact protection and testing with Recaro was a huge plus for me) and need some feedback on which would be the best to buy. Pros and cons and personal experiences would all be greatly appreciated!!!

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The Chicco NextFit, Diono Radians, and Graco MySize70/HeadWise70 would probably be the best bets for you because they all offer decent legroom and good shell height for tall kids. Because your daughter is tall, but fairly lightweight, you might also like the First Years True Fit.

We don't actually know that any seats "test better" than other seats or that any of the side impact protections put on seats make any real difference. They might, but we just don't know for sure.

Please also remember that your daughter's legs being against the backseat isn't a safety issue in the least, and that many children like resting their feet on the backseat and/or folding their legs while seated.

I have owned MANY convertibles in my time, including Britax, Century (old school, purchased by Graco), Evenflo, Recaro, Sunshine Kids (now Diono), Cosco/Safety First, Chicco, and First Years, and have had mixed feelings about ALL the seats I have owned. I do believe my favorites have been my Radian (I love almost everything about that seat) and my True Fit. Both seats offered almost everything I wanted, though my Radian has been one of only two convertible seats I've kept for more than two years (the other being my Britax Boulevard).

The Chicco NextFit, Diono Radians, and Graco MySize70/HeadWise70 would probably be the best bets for you because they all offer decent legroom and good shell height for tall kids. Because your daughter is tall, but fairly lightweight, you might also like the First Years True Fit.

We don't actually know that any seats "test better" than other seats or that any of the side impact protections put on seats make any real difference. They might, but we just don't know for sure.

Please also remember that your daughter's legs being against the backseat isn't a safety issue in the least, and that many children like resting their feet on the backseat and/or folding their legs while seated.

I have owned MANY convertibles in my time, including Britax, Century (old school, purchased by Graco), Evenflo, Recaro, Sunshine Kids (now Diono), Cosco/Safety First, Chicco, and First Years, and have had mixed feelings about ALL the seats I have owned. I do believe my favorites have been my Radian (I love almost everything about that seat) and my True Fit. Both seats offered almost everything I wanted, though my Radian has been one of only two convertible seats I've kept for more than two years (the other being my Britax Boulevard).

How are the Diono and Truefit when it comes to installation? I keep hearing something about a seperate angle piece for the radians. And in your opinion, is there a particular radian thats better than the others?

MommyShannon

The Radian has an angle adjuster you can buy separately. In some vehicles it tends to be too reclined and the adjuster helps you get a more upright install. I don't know how it fits in your van. You might start a new thread specifically asking how the radian installs in your van. I'm sure somebody has tried it.
I have a TrueFitPremier. I really like it though I like the look of the new top piece on the True Fit SI better. DD2's head tends to bend too far to the side while sleeping. I don't have any trouble installing it. It does require you use the lock offs at all times, but they aren't bad. It is a big wide seat with lots of height and legroom.
The NextFit, Radian, and Graco Headwise will last a little longer due to the higher weight limits probably.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The Radian has an angle adjuster you can buy separately. In some vehicles it tends to be too reclined and the adjuster helps you get a more upright install. I don't know how it fits in your van. You might start a new thread specifically asking how the radian installs in your van. I'm sure somebody has tried it.

:yeahthat:

I haven't had any problems whatsoever installing the Radian in my Civic without the angle adjuster, but every vehicle is different. :)

YinzerMama

Answered in another thread of yours, I am not happy with the radian in the center seat of the ody but find it very easy to install in the captain's chair. (Only trick I read, recline the seat back all the way, install radian, than put captain's chair back up)

I do use the AA. It fits in the van without it but I want to maximize legroom for my 3rd row passenger so I like the extra space it gives me.

I also have a radian in my husband's prius which I have installed ff and rf with the AA, works very well there, too. (I have not tried rf without the aa in his car)

I think ff installs with seatbelt tend to be tricky with this seat but so far I have only used LATCH.

Oh - we have the RXT, in large part because of the color choices. :)

Answered in another thread of yours, I am not happy with the radian in the center seat of the ody but find it very easy to install in the captain's chair. (Only trick I read, recline the seat back all the way, install radian, than put captain's chair back up)

I do use the AA. It fits in the van without it but I want to maximize legroom for my 3rd row passenger so I like the extra space it gives me.

I also have a radian in my husband's prius which I have installed ff and rf with the AA, works very well there, too. (I have not tried rf without the aa in his car)

I think ff installs with seatbelt tend to be tricky with this seat but so far I have only used LATCH.

Oh - we have the RXT, in large part because of the color choices. :)

Thank you so much! This info def helps! Do you know anything babout how one might install in a Camry?

smileyblue4

We also have a rfing Radian in our 2013 Ody's captain's chair, with the AA. Fits just fine! If I hadn't gotten the Radian, my 2nd choice at the time would've been the Complete Air. Safety 1st has some newer ones, the Air 70 and Elite 80 that you'd have plenty of room for in the Ody, but I'm not so sure about the Camry. You could try it out at BRU to see for yourself. I also really like the Pria and am considering that for when our 3rd baby is ready for a convertible.

YinzerMama

No experience with a camry but it fits just fine in the prius. It takes up about the same space as my classic marathon which, with my husband and I being average height average weight people, has never been a problem for us. The camry being mid-size, I'd assume all should be well?

Rachelb

For what it's worth...we have the Recaro Proride for our son. He has always been in the 95% for height, and 80-90% for weight. I don't remember his height at 14 months or even at age 2, but we kept him in the seat RF until he reached the RF weight limit. He was a few months past 2 when he hit that 35lbs mark.

We didn't take many long trips, just mostly around town the occasional hour long drive to grandma's. He never seemed cramped or in any sort of discomfort.

But to be fair, I think he has a bit more height in his torso, but he's pretty well proportioned. He definitely doesn't have short legs.

I hope you find the right seat for your little one!
-rachel
PS- just read my post again and saw my siggy--those stats must have been when we switched him so a little older than 2.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC