How close to the weight limit...

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My weed is growing again. Weighed in at over 42 lbs yesterday. I had planned to turn her FF in her Radian when she was consistently hitting over 44, or when she actually hit the 45 mark once, whichever came first.

I just remembered that my toddler scale only goes up to 44 lbs.

So, what do I do? Buy a new scale? Turn her when she errors out the scale for the first time? Turn her when she errors out the scale consistently? Tare the scale with a pound of butter before having her stand on it?

She is 3y4m if that matters. I sent her off with daddy today FF because the Radians won't install in the pickup truck. *sigh* - My baby is growing up.

ADS

MommyShannon

Will she be using any FF seats that she is likely to hit the limit of before outgrowing by height? If so, I'd just get a new scale and use until she hits 44.5 often. My peanut 3.75 year old is about to outgrow her TFP rf so I've been debating this too. She varies between 32 and 33.8lbs dressed without shoes. We don't need heavy boots so not much added there. I think I will keep her in it until she is measuring over 34.5 repeatedly with shoes or turns 4.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I doubt it. The lowest-capacity seat I've got for her (other than the cco which of course she's already outgrown) is the Complete Air 65. I doubt she'll still fit in that seat as she approaches 65 lbs. The other seats I have for her are a FR85 and two Radians, and there's no way she'll still be riding in those at 80 lbs.

MommyShannon

Yeah, I was thinking of a Nautilus or something.
Oh, I've got it! Figure out roughly what her shoes and clothes weigh then watch her weight without clothes.

abigaylebelle

I get pretty close to the weight limit without actually reaching it, if that makes sense. Given a 45lbs limit I'd turn when I saw 44.5lbs. Scales can vary a bit. For example my dd has had to visit multiple doc offices recently for a broken arm. She weighed anywhere between 18lbs and 20lbs depending on clothes, cast, shoes. So I try to weigh kids when they are the heaviest possible (dinner, shoes, etc).

We also have an arsenal of scales at our house. The most consistently accurate ones are the cheapies with the dial. Those always get even the 5lb flour and 10lb dog food right. So I'd get one of those if you're looking for a new scale.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC