Is it okay to ask a store to open a boxed car seat?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Okay, so here's my trouble:

I am interested in purchasing a Britax Pavillion G4 for my in-laws' car and a Chicco Nextfit for my car. Every Babies R Us store I've been to has Nextfits and Britax convertibles for sale.

The trouble is, they have the older models on display. The last Babies R Us I went to had THREE Nextfits on display to play with, but they were all manufactured in August 2013 or earlier, so they didn't feature any of the new updates. When I looked at the box, it seemed as though it had a date of manufacture that was more recent (December 2013) and I think the updates are supposed to be as of October 2013. So what is in the box isn't the same as what they have on display (it's better!). Would it be inappropriate to ask them to open one of their newer boxes and put a newer model on display?

I really want to check out the Nextfit without the strap covers and you can't take off the older model strap covers without disassembling the seat (which I'm guessing they don't want me to do with a seat that doesn't belong to me). My kiddo screamed bloody murder the last time I tried to put her in a Nextfit. I think it was because of the strap covers, but I'm not sure so I don't want to buy it before trying it out.

As for the Britax Pavillion G4, I'm less concerned because I know I can remove the Hugs pads until she goes forward-facing and she was fine with them when I tried her out with them anyway. But I'd at least like to see the new Hugs pads in person. I'm tempted to buy a G3, since they're cheaper and come in more colors, but if I like the new pads a lot more then of course I'd prefer to get the seat I actually like better. I didn't look at the boxes for the Britax seats, so it may be that they're still only selling G3s in store even though they have G4s on their website, but if they had a G4 in store, I'd love to play with it. Even if they had only ONE of the G4 convertibles so that you could see the updates (they're all the same, after all) and then showed all the other seats in their G3 versions, I'd be okay with that.

Is there a polite way to ask for this? Or do I just have to keep waiting for them to update their display models? I don't want to get an employee in trouble by asking them to open a box, but I also don't know if they're aware of the updates that Chicco has announced and that's why they haven't updated their floor models to match the products they're selling.

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Britax puts the dom on the box, so no need to open it up.

Sorry, I think my post may have been confusing. It's not that I don't know how to figure out whether the boxed seat is a newer model, it's that I want to see the product and try it out with my kid before purchasing. That's why I want to open the box of the newer model -- because I know it is different than the older model, which is what they have on display.

nannykates

I would inform them that there were changes to the nextfit and they should open new displays.

My store put out the g4s when they got them.

Lee-B-

Okay, so here's my trouble:

I am interested in purchasing a Britax Pavillion G4 for my in-laws' car and a Chicco Nextfit for my car. Every Babies R Us store I've been to has Nextfits and Britax convertibles for sale.

The trouble is, they have the older models on display. The last Babies R Us I went to had THREE Nextfits on display to play with, but they were all manufactured in August 2013 or earlier, so they didn't feature any of the new updates. When I looked at the box, it seemed as though it had a date of manufacture that was more recent (December 2013) and I think the updates are supposed to be as of October 2013. So what is in the box isn't the same as what they have on display (it's better!). Would it be inappropriate to ask them to open one of their newer boxes and put a newer model on display?

I really want to check out the Nextfit without the strap covers and you can't take off the older model strap covers without disassembling the seat (which I'm guessing they don't want me to do with a seat that doesn't belong to me). My kiddo screamed bloody murder the last time I tried to put her in a Nextfit. I think it was because of the strap covers, but I'm not sure so I don't want to buy it before trying it out.

As for the Britax Pavillion G4, I'm less concerned because I know I can remove the Hugs pads until she goes forward-facing and she was fine with them when I tried her out with them anyway. But I'd at least like to see the new Hugs pads in person. I'm tempted to buy a G3, since they're cheaper and come in more colors, but if I like the new pads a lot more then of course I'd prefer to get the seat I actually like better. I didn't look at the boxes for the Britax seats, so it may be that they're still only selling G3s in store even though they have G4s on their website, but if they had a G4 in store, I'd love to play with it. Even if they had only ONE of the G4 convertibles so that you could see the updates (they're all the same, after all) and then showed all the other seats in their G3 versions, I'd be okay with that.

Is there a polite way to ask for this? Or do I just have to keep waiting for them to update their display models? I don't want to get an employee in trouble by asking them to open a box, but I also don't know if they're aware of the updates that Chicco has announced and that's why they haven't updated their floor models to match the products they're selling.

Here we get 14days to return the car seat with all tags attached, unused etc. So...you can just buy the 2 seats, take them home, play with them and return the one you don't like.

So, since they haven't updated the floor models, ask them to open the boxes and update them...if they say no then buy them and return one. I'm not one to buy stuff just to return it (not fair to the stores) but, there are some things that you really do need to be able to touch and see before you buy so they should be allowing you to do that...so I wouldn't feel bad about it in this case!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Update: I went in today and they had one of the g4 seats on display, so I was able to look at the hugs pads. I asked the guy in the store about opening one of the new nextfits. Turned out that what I'd thought was a date of manufacture date was actually a shipping date. Anyhoo, one of their seats was from October 2013 (so that one should have the updates, right?) and the others were all older. I wasn't ready to buy today and so the sales guy couldn't open the box before talking to his manager, who wasn't there today. He was very interested in learning about all the updates, though.

Why didn't Chicco just come up with a signifier for the updates? Like "Chicco Nextfit II"? It's so confusing to have to know to check the date of manufacture.

YinzerMama

It's way too minor of an update to change the name. If you do get an older one, or if you already have one, you can call and get the new parts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC