Combi recall

ADS

gigi

Probably not going to use the seat until we get the fix. Sad, too, because it may likey be outgrown by then. Boo! I love this little seat, sad to retire it.

jwilliams

It sounds as though there is a test that stresses individual segments of the harness and another test that stresses the harness as a whole, and the segment of harness with the stop button failed its test while the harness as a whole passed.

Ugh. I use two CCOs as primary seats. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I'm about to have a baby. My infant seat had not arrived yet and I can't get a straight answer on when it's coming. My CCO was my back up seat.

I'm trying not to panic.

thekatie

It's still not enough to make me happy that J2 outgrew ours and I sent it on :( I ::really:: loved my Coccoro and I would even accept a recall and repair to have him still fit. Sigh!

But I have to wonder how something is still safe to use if it has to be replaced? Something like Britax HUGS being recalled and them asking parents to remove them until the replacement comes I understand, but this is the whole harness, not an "optional" piece. Except the "whole harness" is safe? But "a portion" isn't? But it all has to be replaced. Huhn. Maybe I'll understand better when my coffee kicks in ;)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would probably use it for a newborn... they require much less restraining force on the harness than a bigger kid. 7lbx30mph = 210lb vs 33lbx30mph = 990lb. Kwim?

I'm honestly just wondering how something like this could go undetected for so long!

NannyMom

I would probably use it for a newborn... they require much less restraining force on the harness than a bigger kid. 7lbx30mph = 210lb vs 33lbx30mph = 990lb. Kwim?

I'm honestly just wondering how something like this could go undetected for so long!

Or did Combi know and keep quiet? Since the recall ends in 2012, they must have changed something then.

D&L's-mommy

I'm also not sure what to do. I'm got mine as a return, it still had the tags on it, but the registration card wasn't in the box, so if it's been registered to someone else I'm worried they won't replace the harness. DH already said that I can't buy another seat, since this one is for my niece in my car, he thinks her parents need to replace it,but they already said they won't

I also don't understand why they say it's safe to use until the harness gets replaced? thoughts?

Keeanh

Since the seat as a whole passed compliance testing, I would continue to use it rear-facing for smaller babies without worry. My only hesitation would be a big kid forward-facing. I wonder if this is a new test? Or something not required for compliance, like a voluntary test of some sort?

Keeanh

I'm also not sure what to do. I'm got mine as a return, it still had the tags on it, but the registration card wasn't in the box, so if it's been registered to someone else I'm worried they won't replace the harness. DH already said that I can't buy another seat, since this one is for my niece in my car, he thinks her parents need to replace it,but they already said they won't

I also don't understand why they say it's safe to use until the harness gets replaced? thoughts?

I can't see someone registering a seat they were returning. The card probably got lost. And recalls are valid for 2nd owners anyways. I would register it online and wait for the new harness.

kaharris83

This totally stinks. :( The CCO is my 1yos primary seat and we use it for travel. Of course we have a trip mid-Feb that I am having a terrible time finding a travel seat for my 3.5yo for that now I need a seat for the baby too.

ITA with those who question using it until the kit comes. I can't use a seat with a recalled harness. My anxiety would be far too high.

jasminegrl

fantastic, this was my go to seat to use in the 3rd row of my car rf, nothing else I have works well in the 3rd row... hopefully the kits are sent out quickly.

ebp913

It sounds as though there is a test that stresses individual segments of the harness and another test that stresses the harness as a whole, and the segment of harness with the stop button failed its test while the harness as a whole passed.

Ugh. I use two CCOs as primary seats. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do.

This. Maybe I am really naive but it seems like Combi wouldn't want to deal with the fallout of allowing people to use seats that they know are not safe. I am inclined to think they carefully thought this over with their safety and legal teams before issuing the statements about it being safe. I also read that retrofit kits will ship starting Feb 6th.

lpperry

I have three CCOs. I am not looking forward to uninstalling and replacing the harness with a screwdriver. If it was just one, I wouldn't care so much, but three is going to take awhile!!

I am confused of how a seat as a whole could pass but a part of it doesn't. Also, if this is a big deal where you have to change harness straps or the seat can fail, how can they say to use up it for the next month until the fix comes? Either it is safe or it isn't, right?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I imagine the test to determine webbing strength exerts forces in a way that would be unlikely/impossible in a crash. Like, a constant pull or something.

I'm not convinced that Combi sat on this info, either. It's possible they tested a length of webbing without the button and didn't even realize the button would make a difference, and then it was discovered later during compliance testing. It's also possible that at some point they changed harnesses for a completely different reason.

There might also be some other valid reason. Everyone was outraged over the 10-years-after-the-fact recall of Dorel's already-expired seats, but in reading the documents about that, Dorel had some excellent points, and it was NHTSA that dropped the ball.

Without more info, it's really impossible to say.

monica-m

CPST Instructor

I would agree with this and just use it, but I am worried that minimally trained in car seats staff at the hospital would cause problems with us leaving the hospital in a recalled seat.

The store that I ordered my Pipa through still hasn't given me any answers. They did give me a NIB Keyfit as a loaner in case it becomes necessary.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC