Question Rearfacing tether REQUIRED on Canadian Britax?

Keeks64

I just uploaded the photo to my FB of DS in his Britax tethered Aussie & like 9 of my friends commented "thankful their kid doesn't RF anymore" or " how awkward & hard it looked" ..... Yeah ..... Granted I don't have friends with good car set use to begin with :/

ADS

canadiangie

I was just reading the blog here. The giveaway is an Advocate. Which got me thinking, for Aussie style tethering, does the VT route along the exterior of the air cushions or am I to slip each length of webbing between the shell and air cushions?

Off to check the online manual..

Keeks64

I was just reading the blog here. The giveaway is an Advocate. Which got me thinking, for Aussie style tethering, does the VT route along the exterior of the air cushions or am I to slip each length of webbing between the shell and air cushions? Off to check the online manual..

oh good question! If it has to route around the air cushions it might not be long enough in some vehicles :/ those cushions are pretty big

carolyn_mtl

I agree, Aussie style tethering goes around the outside of the air cushions... or at least that's what it looks like. I would assume that if the tether had to be fed between the shell and cushions, it would be written somewhere describing that more clearly.

Keeyamah

I agree, Aussie style tethering goes around the outside of the air cushions... or at least that's what it looks like. I would assume that if the tether had to be fed between the shell and cushions, it would be written somewhere describing that more clearly.

(Lightly sarcastic font in use) Wait, your assuming logic on the part of the engineers who write the instruction manual's? (Sarcastic font off) I swear, the manuals are written for other engineers, not your everyday person, lol.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have received my answers from Britax, and the text of this, with the exception of the last two questions that I asked separately, ought to appear on Britax's FAQ any time now. When I spy it I'll link it.

Q. How does the Australian method of rear-facing tethering prevent rebound?
A. When the Australian method is used in rear-face
tethering, the tether manages the crash energy as the car seat is rotating forward, which reduces the amount of energy and momentum the car seat experiences as it rebounds.

Q. Are the Britax G4 infant-child seats sled tested tethered with the Australian method, and if so, was it tested at the most upright allowable angle and passed?
A. Britax tests and certifies all Britax car seats as instructed in the user guide. The angle of the car seat
tested would depend entirely on the angle of the test bench, which may or may have not been at the upper most allowable angle of 30 degrees.

Q. What has changed from G3 infant/child seats to now require tethering rear-facing?
A. The Britax G3 infant-child seats are compliant with the Transport Canada testing standards and provide outstanding safety performance in the event of a motor vehicle crash. In order to further enhance the margin of safety performance beyond the regulatory requirements and to address recent Transport Canada test standard interpretation, Britax is now requiring RF tethering with the G4 infant- child seats.

Q. Will retroactive rear-face tethering be required on the G3 Infant-Child seats?
A. Retroactive tethering will NOT be required for any Britax G3 infant-child seats. The Britax G3 infant- child seats are compliant with Transport Canada testing standards and provide outstanding safety performance in the event of a motor vehicle crash.

Q. Is this mandatory on the U.S. G4 seats, or just Canadian seats?
A. This is mandatory for Canadian G4 infant-child seats only, as the U.S. does not have a regulation for testing rebound limitations.

Q. Do we have to use a vehicle manufacturer's authorized anchor point?
A. If a vehicle manufacturer does not support the Swedish method of rear facing tethering, the option to tether Australian method is available. Any difficulties getting the child in and out with the Australian method can be overcome by loosening and retightening the tether. Installation of the car seat on the passenger side provides the easiest access to the tether adjuster.

Q. Can my child be injured if I do not use the rear facing tether?
A. Car seats are designed to maximize protection in the event of a crash. The use of rear facing tether minimizes rebound, improving the chances of preventing injury.

Q. What's the performance difference between rear facing tethering and a rebound bar?
A. The anti-rebound bar simply reduces the amount of rotation the car seat can make when rebounding. By rear-face tethering using either the Swedish or Australian method the rebound rotation is reduced while at the same time the tether webbing is managing crash energy and thus reducing the amount of energy the child experiences.

Q. When rear-face tethering using the Australian method, the designated vehicle tether anchor is too far away for the tether hook to reach it. What can be done?
A. It has come to our attention that not all vehicles will have a tether anchor point that is compatible with the G4 Infant-child seats. Therefore, Britax is developing a tether extender which will be available as an accessory through Britax Consumer Services to limit any vehicle compatibility issues in regards to tether length challenges (Availability TBA). Until a tether extender can be obtained, install using the Swedish method or discontinue use of the car seat until it can be used in the Forward Facing position, i.e. the child weighs more than 10 kg (22 lbs) and can walk unassisted.

Q. When rear-face tethering using the Australian method, it is difficult to get my child in and out of the child seat. How can this be overcome?
A. To assist with any difficulties in getting their child in and out of the car seat when tethered with the
Australian method, the caregiver can loosen and retighten the tether. A demo video will be available soon on the Britax.ca website. Britax is also developing a tether extender which will be available as an accessory through Britax Consumer Services to limit any vehicle compatibility issues in regards to tether length challenges. Availability TBA.

Q. Are you aware of any vehicle manufacturer that allows, in writing, RF tethering using the Swedish method?
A. We are currently unaware of any vehicle manufacturer that addresses rear face tethering in any of their manuals.

Q. Why has the 1-year minimum to forward-face been removed?
A. Britax removed the 1-year minimum to forward face to reduce confusion and allow consistency the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommendation to stay rear-facing until at least 2 years of age. All Britax user guides state:
“American Academy of Pediatrics recommends: All infants and toddlers should ride in a Rear Facing Car Seat until they are 2 years of age or until they reach the highest weight or height allowed by their car seat manufacturer”.

Q. Will any of these changes apply, either as a running change or retroactively, to the Classic Marathon?
A. None of these changes will apply to the Marathon Classic as a running change or retroactively.

and not on the FAQ but answered by Britax:

1. The aircraft installation instruction indicate only to refer to the lap belt installation for both rear- and forward-facing. This would include tethering in both directions. Was this intentional or an oversight?

Rear-Facing tethering is not required on aircraft. BRITAX user guides have always referred you to the lap belt installation method for installation on aircraft as to not simply duplicate information. A note will be added in the future as a running change to the user guide in the Aircraft certification area similar to: Note: Do not use the tether in air craft installation

2. Is Aussie tethering permitted in a truck with routing loops? A technical question I have not ever considered but came up on that original thread of Natalie's.

The loop tether routing is a designated routing by the vehicle manufacturer and should be used as instructed by the vehicle manufacturer. This tether route is acceptable with BRITAX.

Last edited:

tam_shops

Wait a minute, how did they test (to pass/approve) the Swedish Style of tethering on the test sled? It doesn't have a floor, right?

And, why didn't they keep the G3 seats here if they knew this was a problem?

Finally, does anyone have a list of manufactures that allow Swedish Style tethering in cars? Seems to me Toyota and Honda, do *not*. It is one of those things that until now I tell parents about and then direct them towards their car owner's manual themselves, rather than take on the responsibility of looking and finding it (or not) when it is (or not) in fact there! It always reminds me of when someone said Toyota doesn't allow touching and it's in the manual. I looked, nothing. Someone else said, yep it's there. DH looked, nope, nothing. Someone took a picture of it in their own manual (different car) and showed me a picture of the yellow bubble I was looking for. Had no problem finding it after that. I forget where it was, but it was no where near or in the child restraint section we were looking for it in! :rolleyes: Manufactures make it so hard to find anything, even when you know what you are looking for! Thus, I am not big on the responsibility and am very thankful that all but a few of my clientele are older and more into boosters than RF...

Thanks everyone for finding this, getting some answers and letting us know!

tam

Amber Bamber

"Q. Are you aware of any vehicle manufacturer that allows, in writing, RF tethering using the Swedish method?
A. We are currently unaware of any vehicle manufacturer that addresses rear face tethering in any of their manuals."

Figures.

This is going to create a world of trouble at car seat clinics. It's giving me anxiety.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
"Q. Are you aware of any vehicle manufacturer that allows, in writing, RF tethering using the Swedish method?
A. We are currently unaware of any vehicle manufacturer that addresses rear face tethering in any of their manuals."

Figures.

This is going to create a world of trouble at car seat clinics. It's giving me anxiety.

You've got to assume no unless the parent (or us, via contacting manufacturers now) can establish a firm yes.

Amber Bamber

You've got to assume no unless the parent (or us, via contacting manufacturers now) can establish a firm yes.

Yes, I realize that. What I mean is that parents aren't going to like it. Some will argue with it. I've had my head nearly bitten off for things that are far more trivial. It will cause confusion. It will likely cause parents to turn their babies FFing as soon as legally possible because Aussie tethering is a PITA. And then if the tether doesn't reach the anchor point, we have to tell them that their (not cheap) car seat won't work with their vehicle (at least not until Britax comes out with a tether extender). And there there's the loosening and tightening the tether every time they get their kiddo in and out of the seat if there's not enough clearance to get the kiddo in and out....

The whole thing is just a bit of a nightmare, really.

Amber Bamber

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC