Question Rearfacing tether REQUIRED on Canadian Britax?

Keeks64

The manual I looked at says that a child must be walking unassisted for FFing. That's a pretty advanced 5 month old!

True enough! I always forget about that wording!!! It does help - I think

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

Chila88

I just noticed that Snugglebugz addressed this on their Facebook page after someone asked and said that yes, Britax now 'strongly suggests' using a rear facing tether. Is that Britax's wording in the manual? Cuz there is a big difference between strongly suggests, and mandatory for something like this IMO!

(Sorry, have to get kids bathed, otherwise if check the manual myself! I can check it later if no one knows off the top of their head)

Keeks64

I just noticed that Snugglebugz addressed this on their Facebook page after someone asked and said that yes, Britax now 'strongly suggests' using a rear facing tether. Is that Britax's wording in the manual? Cuz there is a big difference between strongly suggests, and mandatory for something like this IMO! (Sorry, have to get kids bathed, otherwise if check the manual myself! I can check it later if no one knows off the top of their head)

I seen that & was going to comment that the wording on the seats & in the manual suggests it's Mandatory but I didn't want to start anything on a FB page :/

And true enough! My DS1 was 23lbs & walking at 9 months .... I knew he had to be 1 year though so he never FF until his 1st birthday ..... I didn't know better clearly!

Given most people don't read their manuals we might be good & they will continue to assume 1 year ..... *eye roll*

Chila88

I seen that & was going to comment that the wording on the seats & in the manual suggests it's Mandatory but I didn't want to start anything on a FB page :/ Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

That's exactly what I thought when I read it too! Lol

tiggercat

I just noticed that Snugglebugz addressed this on their Facebook page after someone asked and said that yes, Britax now 'strongly suggests' using a rear facing tether. Is that Britax's wording in the manual? Cuz there is a big difference between strongly suggests, and mandatory for something like this IMO!

(Sorry, have to get kids bathed, otherwise if check the manual myself! I can check it later if no one knows off the top of their head)

The top tether must be used at all times.

View attachment 23876

Last edited:

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Interesting lol ....... Now I'm really convinced there's some glue sniffing going on over at Britax lol

The HUGS were different on the G3 Marathon too, compared to the rest of the line-up. I can't remember what was different -- if they maintained the basic flat rubbery style while the rest went to the firmer plastic with the mini strap to connect them to the shell -- but they were different.

With each seat as you go up in trim level you get more features, and the HUGS style is one of the differences. I didn't realize that the G4 Marathon didn't have the new style though, thanks tiggercat!

kmw

Ugh.. I have a friend looking to replace her bucket this week and she is away in Vancouver (we live in Northern BC). I suggested a G3 Marathon and she was sold on it.. RF tether not required.. I really hope she isn't convinced to get a fancier new G4.. she drives a 2012 Civic with active airbags and would have to Aussie tether. that would be near impossible to get a big infant into the car without knocking his head on the car door frame.. sigh.

tiggercat

Ugh.. I have a friend looking to replace her bucket this week and she is away in Vancouver (we live in Northern BC). I suggested a G3 Marathon and she was sold on it.. RF tether not required.. I really hope she isn't convinced to get a fancier new G4.. she drives a 2012 Civic with active airbags and would have to Aussie tether. that would be near impossible to get a big infant into the car without knocking his head on the car door frame.. sigh.

She may not have a choice. G3s are mostly out of stock, at least in my area.

kmw

Quite a few where she is thankfully :) And SnuggleBugz still had a couple too.

^^ scratch that! SB is out of the Marathon too!

Last edited:

canadiangie

If its any consolation, I watch a neighbour load her big toddler into her Civic with an Aussie style tethered Britax seat all the time. It's crazy to watch, but she manages.

kmw

This friend would just not use the RF tether if it was a pain.. It was all i could do to get her to RF past a year.. her first went from bucket to FF seat at 12 months 3 days. He was below the 20 lb requirement on his seat too.. sigh. Even now, at 3 yrs old, he is still tiny enough that I would keep him RF - he's smaller than my 3 yr 1 month old who is not quite 37" and 29lbs (she's still RF).

Great news! Just heard from her - she found a G3 :)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC