Question Rearfacing tether REQUIRED on Canadian Britax?

canadiangie

I'm guessing I will see a lot of tether straps that have been routed under the vehicle seat to the factory installed (ie: "see vehicle owners manual") tether anchor intended for ff tethering and correctly done Aussie style tethering.

(For anyone reading, it is not ok to do that ^)

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It does not reach in the captain's chair or 3rd row of my 03 Ody. At least 12" too short in distance , so about 24" more webbing needed as it is a v shape. I have asked Britax about an extender.

tiggercat

There's no prohibition on rf tethering in a captain's chair but the tether might not reach. Although Britax is pretty good about the long tether straps.

The straps might slide off the sides of the chair, depending on the configuration, no?

canadiangie

Is that a problem? I'm asking seriously...I have no idea.

If they started to slip off the edge of the seatback it isn't long before the tether strap is just .. completely loose and sort of hanging there.

I guess what I need clarification on is how Aussie style tethering is supposed to look on captains chairs. Tether strap OVER the seatback and brought down, or tether straps routed along the SIDES of the captains chair. If its the sides this is going to be tough/impossible to maintain. But having to go over the seatback will eat up a ton of tether strap length. Going along the sides would take up far less but be ridiculous, I'm guessing.

Eta: I also need clarification on how Aussie style tethering stacks up in a truck with routing loops. (laughing a little as I type that - imagine teaching that - it just gets better and better ;)).

Keeks64

If they started to slip off the edge of the seatback it isn't long before the tether strap is just .. completely loose and sort of hanging there. I guess what I need clarification on is how Aussie style tethering is supposed to look on captains chairs. Tether strap OVER the seatback and brought down, or tether straps routed along the SIDES of the captains chair. If its the sides this is going to be tough/impossible to maintain. But having to go over the seatback will eat up a ton of tether strap length. Going along the sides would take up far less but be ridiculous, I'm guessing. Eta: I also need clarification on how Aussie style tethering stacks up in a truck with routing loops. (laughing a little as I type that - imagine teaching that - it just gets better and better ;)).

Oh trucks! Super awesomely fun I can imagine! This whole mess just keeps getting better!

I RF my G2 MA in my moms 2 door cobalt .... No dice with a G4, it would be the biggest PITA getting DS2 in & out.

RFing in 3rd row configurations where loading through the hatch is needed will be fun! Or RFing in the middle of a 3 across ;)

Honestly I don't think Britax even came close to thinking of the ramifications this new rule :O

Thank goodness we have the Peg our options here in canada just keep getting smaller :(

bubbaray

I'm 5'9" and think I would have a hard time getting a child into a Britax that was Aussie RFg tethered in DHs F-150. It's pretty high and with the straps would be really tricky to get the child in. I can't imagine a shorter person doing it

Then there is the whole how do you RFg tether Aussie style in a truck.

MommyShannon

How about the stage when 2 year olds wedge themselves like a bridge across their rf seat? Now they'd have straps to help keep themselves up with Aussie tethering. Super fun! I'm glad my G3 US seats don't require this but it makes me more weary of when I don't tether them. If Britax saw a big enough benefit to make mandatory, just how big of a difference was it? I may need to reassess where I can tether DD3.

Keeks64

View attachment 23863

Weird photo angle but this was DS1 - he was around 4.5y in this picture, 32lbs & 38"ish - no torso obviously lol

I climbed in the passenger side to help in the car seat , doing it from the curb was near impossible to tuck him in & under the tether. He couldn't climb in himself without getting stuck.

I did this for a photo op ... There is NO way I would want to do it everyday :/ I had DS2 in the car too so it wouldn't have even been an option really & since this was a Toyota matrix I wouldn't have been able to Swedish style :/

He was still RF in his seat at this time just not tethered obviously & there's no way DH would have let me buy another seat & so I would have been left to FF :(

Ugh this just sucks because I don't want to be telling people to FF but there's going to be lots of scenarios & no choices but to FF & what about those who use them for babies & even newborns? Not nearly as challenging but just one more step :/ misuse is high enough without adding extra steps :(

Last edited:

biddyk8

This is just going to lead to an awful world of misuse.

they seem to be using it as a selling feature going by it being one of the main features in the west coast kids page. http://www.westcoastkids.ca/Britax---Marathon-G4

So I foresee alot of people buying it thing its this brilliant feature and then being shocked how hard it is to install. Its going to be messy. I think Britax just lost their easy install crown.

tiggercat

Weird photo angle but this was DS1 - he was around 4.5y in this picture, 32lbs & 38"ish - no torso obviously lol

I climbed in the passenger side to help in the car seat , doing it from the curb was near impossible to tuck him in & under the tether. He couldn't climb in himself without getting stuck.

I did this for a photo op ... There is NO way I would want to do it everyday :/ I had DS2 in the car too so it wouldn't have even been an option really & since this was a Toyota matrix I wouldn't have been able to Swedish style :/

He was still RF in his seat at this time just not tethered obviously & there's no way DH would have let me buy another seat & so I would have been left to FF :(

Ugh this just sucks because I don't want to be telling people to FF but there's going to be lots of scenarios & no choices but to FF & what about those who use them for babies & even newborns? Not nearly as challenging but just one more step :/ misuse is high enough without adding extra steps :(

I don't think that is routed correctly around the sides of the restraint at the top.

Keeks64

I don't think that is routed correctly around the sides of the restraint at the top.

It's the photo :) ETA: it should come down over the sides more yes, I had moved them up to get DS in & didn't adjust them back down .... I fixed it for the other photos but this is the only one I have left on my phone

You can see though how much tether is left ... Not much ... Granted the anchor is a floor anchor but even so & it's installed more upright even :/ Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

carolyn_mtl

I'm also NOT happy to see Britax has dropped the minimum age 1 to ff from their requirements. Only 3 provinces have "over age 1", in their provincial laws to ff, so for the rest of the country, its now legal to ff a 22# 5 month old in a G4 Britax. Great.

canadiangie

I'm also NOT happy to see Britax has dropped the minimum age 1 to ff from their requirements. Only 3 provinces have "over age 1", in their provincial laws to ff, so for the rest of the country, its now legal to ff a 22# 5 month old in a G4 Britax. Great.

I hadn't noticed that, but I did notice that in multiple locations within the manual Britax is strongly recommending rear facing until age 2 or until the maximum rear facing weight or height limit is reached. I know a few other manufacturers are doing the same as well.

Off to go re-read the manual now.. cause I'm curious.

Eta: I see walking unassisted is clearly listed as a milestone needing to be reached before forward facing. So that's good, I suppose.

amyd

The manual I looked at says that a child must be walking unassisted for FFing. That's a pretty advanced 5 month old!

Keeks64

I hadn't noticed that, but I did notice that in multiple locations within the manual Britax is strongly recommending rear facing until age 2 or until the maximum rear facing weight or height limit is reached. I know a few other manufacturers are doing the same as well. Off to go re-read the manual now.. cause I'm curious about removing age 1 from the mins. :(

It's too bad recommended doesn't mean legal lol

I have so many parents come to checks & argue the fact that recommended basically means s%#t & unless it's somewhere written in law or deemed illegal they won't care - although in a lot of cases illegal means nothing to some parents too :(

The 1yr was really important ..... Likely even more so than weight since most people seem to ignore the weight & FF at a year when the manual states it's okay

The whole seat is a mess from the tether to the new limit stickers! Somebody must have sniffed some glue the day these changes were made or they clearly aren't parents or car seat users themselves :(

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC