Question Rearfacing tether REQUIRED on Canadian Britax?

tiggercat

This seems ... really dumb? (I'm sure there's a more elegant way of putting it, maybe in the morning i'll have better words)

I worked extra shifts last week for a lime green G4. My mom has gotten pretty decent at installing the triumph, but keeps getting the seatbelt caught up on the tensioning knob. However, rearfacing tethering is not going to make things easier!

Thanks for posting this, I would have been seriously disappointed if i'd already ordered :(.

My first thought was along the lines of WTF? Really?

The lime green is really pretty though! I like the new hugs too.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They can test on a different rig than the one required for compliance testing. They just can't do their compliance testing on it.

I'm absolutely 100% certain they have tested it the way they want it used, including with the d-ring. But that testing is done in addition to compliance testing.

SnoGurl

They can test on a different rig than the one required for compliance testing. They just can't do their compliance testing on it.

I'm absolutely 100% certain they have tested it the way they want it used, including with the d-ring. But that testing is done in addition to compliance testing.

But if it's not require in order to pass compliance testing, then what is the benefit of having it required for Canada, but not the US? Or did I misunderstand Darren's post that it's not required in the US?

All I know, is many people I know will see the page in the manual, go 'wtf is rear facing tethering', and flip the page.

MommyShannon

Wow, I love my Britax seats but I absolutely wouldn't get one if rf tether was mandatory! I like them b/c I can install them quickly in any car. Finding a rf tether spot in my mom's car for once a year just isn't happening.

SnoGurl

A few more thoughts/questions if someone has time...

In the manual it says attach to a 'designated anchor spot' so if no 'official' tether location in a vehicle (do these exist?) for swedish-style tethering, then must do aussie style? (Aussie style will work awesome in my parents sentra... arg!... actually, now that I think about it, the sentra would likely be a breeze compared to the 2-door accent we occasionally ride in.).

I haven't spent too much time thinking about rearfacing tethering, but I thought that although there was some overlap (?) Swedish and Aussie protected different things (rebound, over rotation, etc)? So what is Britax trying to achieve? (this is subjective, I would imagine, but I am still interested in hearing thoughts if anyone has them)

tam_shops

Anyone check the Classic MA (from Target) for this new requirement? :eek:

First time I can say I'm glad my RF days are over and makes it *really* hard for me to recommend Britax if this is true, correct and mandatory...

tam

Alison's Mom

I agree Tammy. Seems to me that most people will either not do it, or find it so much of a pain that they turn their child forward facing earlier than they would have, had Britax not created this new regulation. Will be watching this thread for any updates / new information. . . .

Keeks64

A few more thoughts/questions if someone has time... In the manual it says attach to a 'designated anchor spot' so if no 'official' tether location in a vehicle (do these exist?) for swedish-style tethering, then must do aussie style? (Aussie style will work awesome in my parents sentra... arg!... actually, now that I think about it, the sentra would likely be a breeze compared to the 2-door accent we occasionally ride in.). I haven't spent too much time thinking about rearfacing tethering, but I thought that although there was some overlap (?) Swedish and Aussie protected different things (rebound, over rotation, etc)? So what is Britax trying to achieve? (this is subjective, I would imagine, but I am still interested in hearing thoughts if anyone has them)

I was thinking the same things!

It just gets messy when parents have to mess around with D-Rings & seat tracks & wether it's permitted by the vehicle etc .... I would think most people would choose to Aussie style but throw the seat out a moving vehicle rather than cram a child into/under the tether!

I can't imagine why they would need to make it mandatory though unless it's their way of attempting to compete with the Foonf & Peg which have the ARB's.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
But if it's not require in order to pass compliance testing, then what is the benefit of having it required for Canada, but not the US? Or did I misunderstand Darren's post that it's not required in the US?

All I know, is many people I know will see the page in the manual, go 'wtf is rear facing tethering', and flip the page.

They may have decided that they don't like the margin by which they passed the compliance testing, and decide that requiring the tether will help.

They may be pilot-testing in the smaller Canadian market to see what the response is with a planned change in the US if it goes well.

I can think of a whole slew of possibilities... Those being just the first two. :)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I haven't spent too much time thinking about rearfacing tethering, but I thought that although there was some overlap (?) Swedish and Aussie protected different things (rebound, over rotation, etc)? So what is Britax trying to achieve? (this is subjective, I would imagine, but I am still interested in hearing thoughts if anyone has them)

Anyone check the Classic MA (from Target) for this new requirement? :eek:

Both of these things were on my list of questions for Britax. I am hopeful for a detailed answer early next week.

tiggercat

I am certain that Britax tests both styles of tethering internally. I meant compliance testing, which my understanding is must be done at approved facilities under specific conditions in order to be valid. So Britax's internal testing done on their own test sleds doesn't necessarily mean anything about how the seat would react on the CDN compliance sled with that type of tethering.

The issue of tethering Swedish style is more the non-approved anchor point creation which of course can't be tested on the compliance sled, even if it had a spot for a RF tether attachment. It is not like Britax could have tested that in all of the vehicles out there, and since many vehicle manufacturers don't know what we are talking about when we call to inquire, I am assuming none of them are testing it. That kind of puts it on the same level as after market products for me. You just don't really know how they will affect the crash performance in that specific set up.

I really don't see why they didn't add an ARB if they felt the seat needed anti-rebound control. I have seen so much misuse with RF tethering, both methods, and it just seems messy to me.

Note: I RF tethered both my Britax and Diono seats in the past. I don't think I would do it now. I would probably chose something with an ARB and FF when it was outgrown.

tiggercat

A few more thoughts/questions if someone has time...

In the manual it says attach to a 'designated anchor spot' so if no 'official' tether location in a vehicle (do these exist?) for swedish-style tethering, then must do aussie style? (Aussie style will work awesome in my parents sentra... arg!... actually, now that I think about it, the sentra would likely be a breeze compared to the 2-door accent we occasionally ride in.).

(totally my ramblings below, correct me if I am wrong anywhere, friends!)

Aussie style reduces downward rotation, which in turn reduces the amount of rebound. If you don't go as a far down, you will bounce back less violently.
Swedish style reduces the rebound event more directly, by limiting movement towards the rear of the vehicle. Downward rotation is unaffected.
They both accomplish the same thing, but by different mechanisms, so it seems to me that the desired effect must have something to do with reducing rebound.

The risk profile is different, though. Aussie style doesn't really present any additional risk, from what I have read/discussed with people in the know. Swedish style may increase chest and neck loads to the child occupant. For older kids this is unlikely to be an issue. but for a newborn or young infant with their big head/weak neck physiology, I have read concern about the potential for injury.

Both increase the stability of the restraint, couple the restraint more closely to the vehicle, reduce lateral movement in a SIP crash. I can't see that being the desired effect, though, as those are such nebulous and unmeasurable things.

amyd

I just wish peg had lock offs. It is not quite as easy peasy of an install as the Britax.

True. I have UAS in the position it's going in, though. And I'm not intending on rear facing past 40lbs. Teeny tiny girl will likely be 5 before she hits 40.

SnoGurl

If anyone has a G4/sees one could they please measure how long the tether stap is? I am interested to know whether it would even Aussie-style tether in my RAV. Thanks!

amelia222

This is just......I don't even know. Aussie tethering isn't an option in captain's chairs, right? I'm imagining a situation where we have to tell parents that their $300+ seat is incompatible, then giving the option of buying a new seat or turning their 1yo FF. ugh.

amyd

There's no prohibition on rf tethering in a captain's chair but the tether might not reach. Although Britax is pretty good about the long tether straps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC