Question Rearfacing tether REQUIRED on Canadian Britax?

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Gah!!!! Not sure what the heck happened there. I could swear I put in .ca and not .com. I want to blame it on my wonky laptop but it was likely my own error.

Still there's a few:

http://www.amazon.ca/Britax-Pavilio...ie=UTF8&qid=1389637587&sr=1-7&keywords=Britax

http://www.amazon.ca/Britax-Advocat...e=UTF8&qid=1389637734&sr=1-11&keywords=Britax

Good discounts, but not fantastic. Disappointing.

I'm absolutely rotted with this whole thing. Mandatory RFing tethering. Seriously?!

They're selling out quickly then, there was far more than that on Friday when I did a sales post.

dml343

I just bought a pair of Boulevards yesterday for 11mo twin boys, and was dismayed to see that RF tethering is now "required" as per the manual. As lots of other posters have said, it makes the seats much less practical, and given that earlier generations (and current US seats which appear identical) don't have this requirement, I find it hard to believe that it's really important for safety. If Britax feels it's really important for safety, wouldn't they also require it in US seats despite the absence of regulations?

That said, In my 2011 Odyssey, it's not too difficult to RF tether Swedish style if I use the fixed bar underneath the 2nd row captain's chairs on which I'm mounting the Boulevards, or the anchor points that hold these seats to the floor. Is this acceptable? Attaching to the front seat anchors is much harder, and would make it impossible for my 4-year-old to climb through to her Radian in the 2nd row middle seat. I also have no idea how we'd access the third row. Not sure what to do about occasional use in my other car or rental cars.

Any idea whether it would be safer to use the Boulevards without the RF tether, or use a lesser car seat that doesn't have this requirement? If the untethered install is safe, but doesn't meet the manual's states requirements, what are the ramifications should something terrible happen?

Trying to decide whether I return the seats before I install the 2nd one.

Thanks for your great work making all of our kids safer!

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You can read some FAQs on this subject here: http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/RF-tethering-change-FAQs-FINAL-012014.docx

Honda does not permit Swedish-style RF tethering. If you want to use the seats you must tether them Aussie-style to the dedicated anchor point for the seating position you're using. The tether may not be long enough to do so - it isn't in my 03 Odyssey but my anchor is under the captain's seat.

Britax requires the use of the tether rear-facing; it is not optional on the seat you have, and although we may speculate, we couldn't say for certain what would happen if the tether wasn't used. Increasing the risk of injury I would expect, as is the case whenever a seat is misused.

Britax is meant to be coming out with an add-on anti-rebound bar that can be used instead of the tether. We have no additional details at this point other than that they are aiming for an April release date.

If you like the features of the Boulevards but don't want to bother with the tether or wait for an ARB you might like the Peg Perego Convertible.

canadiangie

I just bought a pair of Boulevards yesterday for 11mo twin boys, and was dismayed to see that RF tethering is now "required" as per the manual. As lots of other posters have said, it makes the seats much less practical, and given that earlier generations (and current US seats which appear identical) don't have this requirement, I find it hard to believe that it's really important for safety. If Britax feels it's really important for safety, wouldn't they also require it in US seats despite the absence of regulations?

That said, In my 2011 Odyssey, it's not too difficult to RF tether Swedish style if I use the fixed bar underneath the 2nd row captain's chairs on which I'm mounting the Boulevards, or the anchor points that hold these seats to the floor. Is this acceptable? Attaching to the front seat anchors is much harder, and would make it impossible for my 4-year-old to climb through to her Radian in the 2nd row middle seat. I also have no idea how we'd access the third row. Not sure what to do about occasional use in my other car or rental cars.

Any idea whether it would be safer to use the Boulevards without the RF tether, or use a lesser car seat that doesn't have this requirement? If the untethered install is safe, but doesn't meet the manual's states requirements, what are the ramifications should something terrible happen?

Trying to decide whether I return the seats before I install the 2nd one.

Thanks for your great work making all of our kids safer!

Hi,

No it's not ok to route the tether strap under the captains chairs.

If the anti-rebound bar that Britax is releasing soon were available now, I would say you should keep the seats.

Given that the ARBs are not yet available, and top tethering in your vehicle will be like a circus, and you have the option to return your seats, I absolutely vote you return them and get something user friendly.

The Peg Perego Convertible is very lovely and offers an ARB. Easy breezy.. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC