Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation How important is it for car seat to be level?

My dd is 19 pounds and rf in a Recaro Proride. I finally got a tight install in the middle seat of second row in Honda Odyssey 2014, but I can't get the car seat level! There is a line indicator on the side and I've tried both pool noodles and towels. Regardless of what I use, I can't get a tight install AND the prope angle. Right now it is tightly installed and the seat is more upright. It's not too terribly off the level line,but it is a noticeable difference. I've heard that the recline is more for babies but I want my daughter to be safe as possible! Help!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: How important is it for car seat to be level?

I *think* Recaro allows it to be installed up to 30 degrees from vertical. Hopefully someone will come along with that knowledge.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

4. Thank You from:

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

From a physics standpoint, more upright provides more crash protection. What we don't know is how this responds on rebound. Putting seats more upright than the level line as children get older was once common practice for techs, even part of the curriculum, and we have no crash data to suggest that this was a cause of injury, so if the choice is a poor install or a sightly upright seat (or if there is no option for a proper level in a small car and no other seat to use...like we see in checks all the time), I'd choose upright and not lose sleep over it.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

6. Thank You from:

More upright also changes the crash forces on the child, and not necessarily in a good way.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

8. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    More upright also changes the crash forces on the child, and not necessarily in a good way.
    Can you refer me to a reference on this?
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    I'm curious about this as well. I have a Radian and from everything I've heard, that with the AA, there is no "too upright" according to Dinono.

Quinn (Sept '09) Riding in an Amp and Harmony Big Boost
    Sean (Aug '12) FFing in 2 RXT's

Quote Originally Posted by Keeyamah View Post

I'm curious about this as well. I have a Radian and from everything I've heard, that with the AA, there is no "too upright" according to Dinono.
    AA??
    "He offered her the world...she said she had her own."

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheMasquerade View Post
    AA??
    Is what the diono angle adjuster is often called for short.

13. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    http://www.djgusa.com/usa/eng/Faq-Section?id=22

Dorel testing has shown that the resulting angle leads to the best crash test performance, even for older and larger children, for car seats that have level line indicators.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Same website-

http://www.djgusa.com/usa/eng/Faq-Section?id=22

As baby ages and obtains better head control, he/she may sit more upright. This can actually provide for improved crash protection.
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

I mean a reference that more upright leads to injuries. Saying a seat performs BEST under certain circumstances doesn't make it unsafe to use otherwise. For example, ffing seats perform best tethered, but (at least in the US) using them untethered provides a reasonable amount of protection
    Kimberly