Move up to booster or stay in 5 point harness - Canada

B

bcmama24

I have 2 evenflo 5 point harness car seats that were manufactured in 2005/2006
Both purchased brand new for my now 9 yr old and 11 yr old. Great shape, no accidents and well taken care of (no twisted straps etc)
I have a 43 lbs 4 yr old and 39 lbs 3 yr old currently using these seats.
I had originally planned to keep my 2 littles in the 5 point harness to the max weight of 50 lbs (per manufacturers instructions). However, now I am considering purchasing 2 new boosters.
My question is should i purchase new boosters or continue with expired 5 point harnesses for another short while?
Also please tell me what booster to buy ... High back, low back. I am on information over load
Thanks so much

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Re: Move up to booster or stay in 5 point harness

Well, you kinda have a few items to address. Going a couple of months over the expiration isn't a big deal in a well maintained seat, but these seats are 2-3 years expired so your kinda past that point already.

One of the things I like to ask parents when they are debating between a booster or a harness is: if your child is playing with a ball and it rolls into the street, would they run after it impulsively, or would they stop and look both ways without being reminded. The brain processes for remembering street safety even when distracted by a missing toy, are the same brain processes that will keep a kid from unbuckling to get the toy they just dropped on the floorboard, or leaning out of the shoulder belt to whack that annoying sibling.

If your 4 year old is very mature and calm, you may be ok with a booster, but I'd suggest a high back, especially if car rides are still sleep inducing. I'd want to do a trial run with a borrowed booster (preferable on a bad day so you can get a feel for what happens when kiddo is too cranky/tired/four to cooperate) to make sure you don't actually need a harness since most kids don't do well with full time booster use until 5-6 years old. My own kids were not ready for full time boosters at 4, but I did start training them gradually at that age by letting them ride in a booster for short fun trips where they wouldn't fall asleep and were motivated to be good.

A harness seat would be best for your 3yo. If you let us know what kind of budget you have for seats, what car they will be going in, and seated shoulder height, we can help you pick out some seats.

canadiangie

I would buy each child new seats as soon as possible. :)

I would purchase 5 point harnessed seats, not boosters. The 3 year old is both too lightweight and too young for a booster. The 4 year old weighs enough, legally, but is on the young side.

Evenflo Maestro seats should work really nicely.

I'm guessing you have Evenflo Express/Visions/Traditions seats currently, and those have 16 inch top harness slots. As soon as a child's shoulders are level with those top slots the 5 point harness is outgrown. No guarantee you make it to the max harnessing limit, which I'm guessing is 47 pounds.

The Maestro offers 18 inch top harness slots. Nice and high, and with a 50 pound harnessing max. Also later converts to a decent highback booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC