Question Does she 5 step

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Lap and shoulder belt both look a little high to me. I'd keep her in a booster. She might do OK in a vehicle where the lap belt isn't anchored so far toward the back, though. She's at that age/size where she might fit well in some vehicles, poorly in others.

kater-tot82

Thanks Andrea. I thought they were a little high but I was hoping... This is a really tight three across we've been using a bubble bum in, but I hate it and dd is lazy about threading the belt through the guides, but I doubt we can buckle anything else. I know you understand ;). Dd is going to be bummed.

kater-tot82

Thanks Keeamayah. I just was thinking about the incognito before I came back to check this thread :). I may give it a try! I need the dark gray though and I don't think it has been released yet...soon hopefully!! It might be perfect for this situation as long as it fits!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I'd say it's acceptable, but would be better with a bit of a boost. I also think the way she has to squeeze in is the problem, since the lapbelt fit is only weird on the inboard side. Is the Britax overlapping the belt a bit?

Does the shoulder belt adjust down?

kater-tot82

I'd say it's acceptable, but would be better with a bit of a boost. I also think the way she has to squeeze in is the problem, since the lapbelt fit is only weird on the inboard side. Is the Britax overlapping the belt a bit? Does the shoulder belt adjust down?

The shoulder belt doesn't adjust.

The britax doesn't overlap the belt but the angle the seatbelt enters the belt path is weird. It makes the belt rotate slightly and because of that it kind of pushes the buckle stalk next to it at a weird angle.

I could maybe try her on the other side to see if that fixes the problem and LATCH DD2's seat in on this side. No one has ridden in this set up yet and won't until Friday at the earliest so I can play around a bit.

kater-tot82

What about putting her in the center?

That was the old set up. She was in the bubble bum in the center. She seems really slouchy in the center when she puts her feet on either side of the dividing hump there, though maybe using the BB had something to do with that. There is no center headrest but she still had support above her ears in the BB. The shoulder belt in the center is also comes out from the top of the seat back So the fit would probably be better. Hmmm. Maybe I will try that tomorrow and see. Thanks for the idea! I will be back with photos if I give it a try.

kater-tot82

If it was summer I would probably be more relaxed about it. But we are in the middle of snow and ice etc and I feel maybe a few more months would make it better. Maybe I'm being silly.

hgpswimmer4

Lap belt looks fine. Shoulder belt a little high. My DS is in the same stage and he's nearly 10 and very anxious to give up his booster as nobody over 7 uses one where we live. He's a stocky kid though. I would think she's probably old enough that its nor as big a deal as you may think.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
If it was summer I would probably be more relaxed about it. But we are in the middle of snow and ice etc and I feel maybe a few more months would make it better. Maybe I'm being silly.

I don't think you're being silly. DS was in a booster until he was 11. Would have kept him in it longer if he hadn't passed the five-step test around the same time. (Does she pass the REST of the five-step test?)

kater-tot82

I don't think you're being silly. DS was in a booster until he was 11. Would have kept him in it longer if he hadn't passed the five-step test around the same time. (Does she pass the REST of the five-step test?)

Yes, she does past the rest of the five step test in this car.

I have put the bubble bum back in there for the moment and reminded her to do the guides while I make up my mind!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
She's beautiful :)

If it were my child, I would eek out a bit more booster time. It seems unlikely to me that she's at the stage where the belt fits BETTER without a booster than with, which is what I aim for. I think the Incognito is a great suggestion. OTOH, if a child came into a check like this, I'd send them out without losing sleep. Kwim? So on that front I think it's up to you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC