fr 90 vs recaro performance sport?

Kel

If you had to pic between these 2 seats, which would you pick and why?
Also, is there plenty of crotch room for little guys with these seats?
Is the FR much wider?

That you!

ADS

MotoMommaNH

Following :) I understand the FR90 fits longer in harness mode, but does the Recaro fit better in booster mode earlier?

Reactions: Kel

Kel

I'm undecided because I kind of like the looks of the recaro better. The FR 90 is taller, but my DS will probably never need the extra height.

thepote

I'm undecided because I kind of like the looks of the recaro better. The FR 90 is taller, but my DS will probably never need the extra height.

Here, too. I've always regretted buying a Nauti for ds3, not because it's a bad seat, I just would have loved the Recaro more and that's what would be sitting in my attic now for DD!

There was a thread a while ago that discussed this topic at length. If I get some time I will search.

Reactions: Kel

Kel

Thank you. There's just something I find unappealing looking about the FR.
But it seems like the Recaro doesn't get as much love here. So I was wondering if there's a reason the FR is heavily favored?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I tested out both, and while the Frontier is a very cool seat, I fell in love with the Performance Sport, and it's the seat my daughter is currently using.

Downside: You can only use the tether to 52 lbs. I'm not personally concerned because my daughter will likely outgrow the harness by height before she reaches that weight. Also, I didn't love it as a booster, but that might change as she grows. I prefer dedicated boosters anyway, so again, not something I'm losing sleep over.

Here's my more in-depth review from carseatblog: http://carseatblog.com/24022/recaro-performance-sport-harness-booster-review-performance-indeed/ The Frontier review is in there somewhere, too.

Kel

Thank you both very much. The thread and the review were both very helpful!

One question...is it just me, or do the wings seem to high above the head?

Athena

Also, is there plenty of crotch room for little guys with these seats?

I can only comment on the FR, but yes, plenty of crotch room. And it's a nice deep seat.

Following :) I understand the FR90 fits longer in harness mode, but does the Recaro fit better in booster mode earlier?

Good question. All I can tell you is that, although our FR85 did not fit my narrow DD well as a booster until she'd outgrown the harness (perfect timing for us), the FR90 shoulder fit seems a bit narrower, like it would have fit her in booster mode sooner.

Thank you. There's just something I find unappealing looking about the FR.
But it seems like the Recaro doesn't get as much love here. So I was wondering if there's a reason the FR is heavily favored?

Because for the same price you get all that extra height? Many of us need the height. ;)

One question...is it just me, or do the wings seem to high above the head?

In the FR90? They are higher than the 85. HTH.

Kel

Athena- thanks. I was looking at some pics of kids in the recaro, and was thinking the wings looked very high above the kids heads.

I wished I would have known about taller seats when my bigger kids were little. My first 3 boys are all over the 97% for height and weight.
My last 3 are all smaller.

DMS721

This thread has been very helpful. My oldest DS is on a Frontier 85 which I have been happy with. I was originally planning to get a Frontier again for my youngest. I tested the 90 out at BuyBuy Baby today and was not very happy with it. The little level to release the harness straps was so far in the seat that I could barely reach it. Also I felt the headrest was rather high for where the straps needed to be. I tested out the Recaro, which had not even been on my radar, and I really liked that one better. My DS is on the shorter side, so I'm not worried about the height. I plan to buy a dedicated booster when I am ready to booster them anyways.

Kel

Hello. Glad this thread is helping you out. I'm getting a peg perego in the mail Monday for my 21 month old DD. I'm going to try DS 3.8 in it also. Both RF and FF. If it fits him well, he'll ride in that. Then DD will go Into the Cowmoo MA70 coming g on Tuesday. She's in the 3% for height, so Britax is fine for her.

If he doesn't fit well in the Peg, then I'll be ordering him a Performance sport Monday. He still has several inches of harness height left FFing in his RXT, but the buckle is coming from way under him. He's getting so big that he looks like he's perched on the edge of the seat. It probably just looks that way do to the low sides, but I don't it. He also rides outboard.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC