Preliminary results with Incognito

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I will post pictures when I feel better, but I am really excited about the Incognito right now!

I have a 2005 Civic and my daughter currently rides in a RF Radian installed in the center. I occasionally need to transport booster kids and have had a really hard time fitting something in there. I can puzzle a Parkway in, but it leaves no room to buckle. Can't even close the door on a Turbo, a Harmony YB squishes in but all cock-eyed in an unusable sort of way, and frankly a RSTV is just too expensive to keep around for very rare/occasional use.

Now, I don't have a 60 lb kid to try it with at the moment, but I set the Incognito on the seat and it has room to spare!! Like, LOTS of room! There shouldn't be any difficulty buckling, and even at the widest point there's lots of room left.

I am so happy. I can't wait to borrow a booster kid to try it out on for realz.

ADS

christineka

Awesome! I just want to get one for transporting a large, but short cub scout. He fit okay in my dakota, but it expires in a few months. I want a grey incognito, though as both vehicles have grey interiors.

MommyShannon

Awesome. Our Accord headrests don't raise so I'm hoping this will help DD when she starts getting too tall for the headrests in there.

Qarin

I'm waiting for mine, to try in my mom's 2014 Nissan Versa Note for my 12yo. She... fits... kind of... without a booster. With a booster she feels too high and tippy, without she feels like the seatbelt creeps up on her belly over time. She's just starting to skim 4'9", 5-stepping in some vehicles (like the 1998 Ford Focus, and the third row of our 2005 Nissan Quest minivan) and not in others (captains seats in the Quest, and the backseat of the Versa, barely), and too tall for any highback boosters but the Parkway (and presumably the Frontier, but we don't have one).

cookie123

I need those desperately. I couldn't get the 3 kids buckled in yesterday. It was so cold I finally let Brett sit in front. He looked like a giant in his booster on the front seat - it's the Transit.

Anyway, the picture makes the Incognito look huge! It's not, right?

Mysweethoneybee

If it lets me post them here are pictures of how the incognito looks with a harmony lite rider and a bubble bum on top of it.

Attachments

• 014415b0c650837ae45c6c6c8305cb0bf83b4fa586.jpg
    014415b0c650837ae45c6c6c8305cb0bf83b4fa586.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 0107593c905045e9e0c0348f32a59adaa9d0ff1d87.jpg
    0107593c905045e9e0c0348f32a59adaa9d0ff1d87.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 0114f1751910abf5d81e335ce5d39209484cd66b63.jpg
    0114f1751910abf5d81e335ce5d39209484cd66b63.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 0143cc3a0c96807fe6786984702174a973ca6385f4.jpg
    0143cc3a0c96807fe6786984702174a973ca6385f4.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 76

Mysweethoneybee

I guess I should add in the back it is the same width as a well used bubble bum. In the front it is wider. It is also much longer front to back than either the lite rider or bubble bum.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
That was my first thought when I took it out of the box. "It's huge!" I thought there was no way it was going to fit in my Civic where no other booster fits (a bubble bum would probably fit but I don't have one).

So I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it's huge at first glance. It's super deep, but it's super narrow at the back end, and it's not very thick. It's as much belt positioner as booster; it doesn't really do a lot of boosting. I should take a picture of another booster in that position to compare to. Maybe I'll get around to that today. The magical thing about the Incognito is that you can actually see the buckle in the photo. And because it doesn't have arms, it comes in under the vehicle arm rest that's on the door and impinges greatly into the seating area. And because it's so narrow in the back, it doesn't get pushed forward by the bolster on the side like all the other boosters do. So yeah, it's huge, but it only takes up unused space and doesn't overflow into places where other things need to be like vehicle doors and other car seats and belt buckles.

It is absolutely a big kid seat, no doubt about it. The kid I would most likely need to transport in it just turned 8 last week and is tall for her age but not off the charts. I'm going to guess about 4'7" but that's just from looking at her.

sirrahn

I was going to start a thread, but maybe it's better to just add this here....

My issue with the Incognito is mostly depth related. The outboard middle row seat in my Sienna angles up on the sides and front as a lot of vehicle seats do. I can't get it to sit flat on it's own. If I slide it forward so that the back of it is all the way down on the flat part, it hangs over the front and makes DD1 all slouchy in her seat. If I slide it back, there's a gap under the seat until DD1 sits on it. That gives good belt fit, but it's kind of bending up the incognito and there are now creases all through the foam. DD is liking it better than she thought she would, but I'm not too sure that it's really ok.

Any thoughts?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I guess it wouldn't hurt to call Dorel about the way the seat bends, but I have a suspicion that as long as the belt fits, it's fine. It may even be a "design feature" to conform to the curves of the vehicle seat. If they didn't want it to bend, surely they would have made it out of rigid plastic instead of out of foam, right?

D&L's-mommy

multiple thoughts since I've been considering getting one....

I was going to start a thread, but maybe it's better to just add this here....

My issue with the Incognito is mostly depth related. The outboard middle row seat in my Sienna angles up on the sides and front as a lot of vehicle seats do. I can't get it to sit flat on it's own. If I slide it forward so that the back of it is all the way down on the flat part, it hangs over the front and makes DD1 all slouchy in her seat. If I slide it back, there's a gap under the seat until DD1 sits on it. That gives good belt fit, but it's kind of bending up the incognito and there are now creases all through the foam. DD is liking it better than she thought she would, but I'm not too sure that it's really ok.

Any thoughts?

can you please share what Dorel says if you get in contact with them? the seats in my cruze are quite contoured and I'm worried this may happen in my car too.

Is this the light gray in the pics? It's quite beige IMO....

my DS will be 10 in april, he's starting to complain about being in a booster, I think because he's getting squished in the affix, and nothing else fits in my 3 across (nothing else that he fits in, that is). He's 4'6.5" 75lbs, so he's big enough for the incognito, but I'm having a hard time getting used to the idea of not having arm rests to absorb some impact in a collision (he's had a lot of abdominal surgery,so I've very concerned) but once he 5 steps he won't have arm rests either, so maybe the incognito is a good transition?

Does anyone find it annoying to have to thread through the belt guide everytime? I think I would have to help DS do it, but I'm already buckling him anyway (since it's so tight). and to be honest, I will miss having a latching booster

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I ordered light grey, but you're right it leans toward beige. It's a better match in my Suburban. Here is a comparison photo. At least I can shut the door on this one but it won't go all the way back against the vehicle seat.

Attachments

• image-3045209429.jpg
    image-3045209429.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 110

Mysweethoneybee

It is on the light beige side of light gray and much lighter than any of the light gray seats our cars have. My 6 year old son can do his seat belt with the incognito and then he just slips the hook over the seat belt but he couldn't do up his own seat belt with the Monterey because the arms were in the way for him to see and reach the female end of the seat belt in our van. It is so much easier than the Bubble Bum. We use the incognito in his brothers cars because the headrests don't raise up and in regular boosters his head was above the back of the seats. My son is 6 years old 54 inches tall and 85lbs. The belt fit is great with the incognito.

Mysweethoneybee

The exact directions from the manual:

Buckle lap and shoulder belt across hips of the child.

Slide the lap belt positioner on each side of the seat onto the lap belt.

The shoulder belt should lay snugly across the center of the child's shoulders and across the chest (not on the face or neck)

Pull up on the shoulder belt to tighten.

For us we leave the hook on the lap belt on the side away from the buckle because it is just easier. My son knows to check it and I usually check because I still check to make sure he has the seat belt clicked in. Then he just slides the hook over the lap belt part next to the buckle and we are good to go.

It really is super simple.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC