Nextfit and Peg questions regarding the headrests

gigi

First off, I really liked the next fit in person. The legroom is awesome! However, when I buckled my 2.5 year old with an above average head (but not massive like her brother) into the seat I noticed she had less than 2" above her head with the harness set right at her shoulders (if she settled they would be above). With the headrest down one click, she had less than 1". Is this a common complaint in this seat? I couldn't believe it!

With the Peg, she only has an inch or two growth room at the 7th headrest position (in store, going to try in car soon) but her head had no trouble fitting within the headrest when properly adjusted.

She is very tall, 37", fairly proportionate torso 3t/4t shirts and dresses - 3t pants, JUST at 1" in the CCO a couple inches to grow in her Boulevard G3. 27 lbs, so very skinny, weight won't be an issue.

I need a seat to replace the CCO, I really dislike the Radian even though she fits well in it. I love the Peg, I am hoping she gains some headroom in it in car, but the leg support isn't wonderful (this is a bigger concern FF for me, my son never complained about his legs until he went FF and they weren't supported). The nextfit I didn't love until I sat her in it and saw the legroom but then the headrest thing turned me off.

I considered just waiting until 3 and buying a frontier 90, but that headrest was so high it really turned me off. It was a foot over her head with straps adjusted properly.

Ugh...what to buy? I don't like any of my options! I wish that little Coccoro could last forever!

ADS

MommyShannon

Have you looked at the True Fit? It's very tall. It's not recommended as much because the rf weight limit is 35lbs. If you plan to turn at 3, you could get a Frontier 85 if you can find one. It's a lot harder install, but awesome otherwise IMO.

gigi

This is for our second car, so 3 is fine. I looked in passing at the true fit but it is very wide, doesn't have the safe cell type foam under seat, and I really don't like the SI fabric options. I do like the ARB on it though!

Our car is little and I like to be able to squeeze in the middle seat sometimes. I really just love the Coccoro and I'm only grudgingly replacing it, LOL! So many considerations...

aporthole

The 1" rule with the NextFit only applies when the headrest is in the fully extended position. Less than 1" of headrest above the head on the litter positions is fine. I would leave the harness set so even when she settles in the harness is not above her shoulders.

gigi

The 1" rule with the NextFit only applies when the headrest is in the fully extended position. Less than 1" of headrest above the head on the litter positions is fine. I would leave the harness set so even when she settles in the harness is not above her shoulders.

What if the child's head is above the headrest before you can safely move up a shoulder slot? Is that safe use? As safe as a seat with shell or headrest above the head? I think I would be in that position with this seat.

aporthole

What if the child's head is above the headrest before you can safely move up a shoulder slot? Is that safe use? As safe as a seat with shell or headrest above the head? I think I would be in that position with this seat.

I've definiely seen pictures of kids getting close to the top when they are close to being ready to move up to the next height but I haven't heard of a child actually being above the headrest. Personally I would not be okay with a child's head being above the headrest rear facing but I really don't think that would happen. I would be okay with the top of their head being level with the top though.

Edit to add:
I'd also be inclined to keep the crotch strap on the inner setting to prevent slouching down as go get a more consistent torso height. The manual says to not let the crotch strap come out from under the child but Chicco has recently stated this is purely a comfort recommendation and not a requirement/safety issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC