12yo girl with CP?

hgpswimmer4

I'm wondering what type of seat my 12yo niece who has Cerebral palsy might need? She's only 58# and has spasticity in muscle tone. She does not have good upper body control and uses a wheelchair. Our truck is not wheelchair-adapted. Would a Frontier 85 work? We're using a Dodge Journey with other seats being used in my sig. Thanks!

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Will this be her main seat or just for occasional use in your vehicle? (i.e. do parents have a w/c van or SN seat?).

If this is a primary seat, I think I'd be starting the process for a special needs seat. You could buy some traditional seats that would fit a kiddo with a 17" torso, but for a child that old, with long-term need for a harness (i.e. she's not going to be booster ready in a year or 2), a seat with some positioning assistance and longer use would probably make more sense. Now, as for specific seats or how they fit? I only have experience with the Britax Traveler Plus, and it's a beast (I guess most seats to fit big kids will be). It's on the Regent Platform. I'm thinking a Special Tomato might be a little narrower, but that's just my guessing. I have no experience there.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I'm wondering what type of seat my 12yo niece who has Cerebral palsy might need? She's only 58# and has spasticity in muscle tone. She does not have good upper body control and uses a wheelchair. Our truck is not wheelchair-adapted. Would a Frontier 85 work? We're using a Dodge Journey with other seats being used in my sig. Thanks!

Is your niece able to stand/bear weight/step up? The body mechanics of transferring 60lbs in/out of vehicle, especially one that is tall can be dangerous to both caregiver and child.

The only way to know if the Frontier would work would be to measure shoulder height and then try it. She might already be too tall. It might or might not provide enough lateral/trunk support.

What is her usual seat? Or is she transported in her w/c. If she's transported in her w/c, it might make more sense to borrow the accessible vehicle. (Of course, 3 across in the back of most minivans is not an easy task either.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC