WWYD (Harness vs Booster)

Which seat for 6 yo, 38.6 lb child?

• Leave her in the Symphony. She's not 40 lb yet, and you always use the top tether.

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Move her to the True Fit and unbuckle her yourself. (Quit yer whinin'!)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Move her to the Oobr. She's old enough.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Clicky.

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Kira's 6 years old and 38.6 lb dressed, w/o shoes or coat. Vehicle is a Honda Odyssey.

Options:
1) Evenflo Symphony. 40 lb FF Harness limit. Advantage, easy to install w/ LATCH, and she can unbuckle herself.
2) True Fit Premier. 65 lb FF Harness limit. Disadvantage, harder to install, and she cannot unbuckle herself.
3) Clek Oobr. Booster = no harness. Advantage, she can unbuckle herself.

She's getting close to the 40 lb limit on the Symphony. However, she can't unbuckle the True Fit by herself, which is annoying. I love the Oobr, but I moved my other kids to boosters in the spring, after the risks of winter driving had passed. It feels "wrong" to move her to a booster when the roads are bad. OTOH, I do love the Oobr! (She rides in a booster in DH's car once a week.)

ADS

munchkin

When is winter over? April? So just three more months of winter driving? I'd probably just stuck up the TrueFit for that 3 months and then switch over to the oobr.

Or go ahead and stick her in the oobr now and just put the TrueFit in when they are calling for bad weather. Yeah that's probably what I'd do here but I don't think there would be but 2-3 times I'd have to do that for like 2-3 days.

momtoo3

Ds3 weighs 38.6 pounds too. He turned 5 in September and moved to a booster in my van then...with the understanding that in bad weather he would ride in his FR85 that I use for the 3 yr old I watch so it stays installed anyways. He is still in the ProSport harnessed in dh's truck. I will either convert that to a booster when the snow stops or buy a dedicated booster then ( I love the ProSport in booster mode but really want a Performance Booster so we will see lol.)

I'd leave her in the Symphony and do a weight check every 2 weeks. 6yo's can take awhile to gain weight, especially being the peanut she is! I imagine I'll have the same debate in a few years....

tam_shops

I'd do the Symphony also, it's important at that age to have some independence, but here we can't use a booster until 40#, so I'd hold out. And, like PP said, I'd do a weight check every week or two.

After 40#, I'd put her in the booster, but might still use the Truefit for long trips...Would depend on how she sleeps in the booster.

tam

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I find my kids have a harder time buckling boosters for a while. From sheer laziness I'd do 1 until outgrown then 3. I see no reason to do 2 unless she has problems in a booster.

rachelandtyke

I find my kids have a harder time buckling boosters for a while. From sheer laziness I'd do 1 until outgrown then 3. I see no reason to do 2 unless she has problems in a booster.

:yeahthat:

DS is sitting at 33.5 lbs and has been for 6 months, lol. He goes ff when he hits 35 lbs, and at the rate he's going, he might make it to 5. I just weigh him every week or so to make sure he doesn't have a sudden growth spurt - although he usually increases his consumption when he's going to do that.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I don't know, maybe DD is weird, but she can in fluctuate 1-2lbs depending on what she eats and how long it's been since she pooped (FYI, she can go a day or two, so yeah). That's the only reason why I tend to lean toward 3 (since she can buckle herself).

hgpswimmer4

I'd just go with the Oobr. At 6 years old, most kids are mature enough for booster seats and she's close enough to 40# that it shouldn't be an issue. I'd double-check the belt fit on her before moving indefinitely though.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
UPDATE: I weighed her yesterday in the evening. She was 40.0 lb without shoes and 43 lb with her boots & coat.

However... I was mistaken. She can unbluckle the True Fit! It's the Symphony that gives her trouble. So, she's in the True Fit until spring at least. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC