New Chrysler....

ADS

Splash

There is currently no model for sale in the US that can be used on a rear facing seat. Whether it is safe or not, who knows? I'm inclined to think it probably is, but there is not real world data to back that up, and it's not like switching to another chest clip or using an after market cover... that is one rule I would DEFINITELY not be willing to break.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
From my understanding, those seats can only be used turned to face the rear when the vehicle is not in motion.

But I could definitely be wrong...I've been wrong before! ;)

crunchierthanthou

From my understanding, those seats can only be used turned to face the rear when the vehicle is not in motion.

But I could definitely be wrong...I've been wrong before! ;)

from the OP's link- "Seat must be locked in forward or rearward mode while vehicle is in motion. Child restraints must be used when seats are in forward facing mode"

The swivel n' go seats can be used rf, but not for carseats. Like Splash said, no current carseats allow for installation on rf vehicle seats.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
You could use them more than likely w/ a booster age child as a booster does nothing more than boost the child and position the seatbelt, but a harnessed seat would have to be on the seat in ffing mode like was mentioned. These are in the 08 Caravan and I admit I drooled a little over that one. I have an 06 and it's amazing what can happen in 2 yrs. lol

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know that I'd use a booster with one, but I think it'd be awesome for children who are not in any seats anymore. Give them the benefits of facing the rear.

Wendy

Splash

I would never use one with a seatbelt alone. There is nothing holding you to the seat in a frontal crash. The body is going to fly forward (likely in an up and over fashion) and the seatbelt may or may not lock. Even if it DOES lock with the sudden deceleration, it's going to unlock because there is no pressure against it. If my choice was to use it for a kid in a car seat, or a kid just in the seatbelt, I'd go against instructions and use it for the kid in a car seat (or, actually, I'd buy an EZon harness. Hmmm....)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Interesting point. I'd have to wonder, since the manufacturer specifically says that it has to be locked forward or rearward for driving that they've taken that into account? Maybe it's worth a phone call. Though I think even with the seatbelt not locking the seat back would take the brunt of a frontal collision, and the belt would lock on rebound. That'd be my guess.

Wendy

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I personally think it would be awesome for passengers who are beyond the belt positioning booster seat stage (i.e. passing the 5-step test) to be able to use those vehicle seats rear facing if it's allowed by the manufacturer, and if they would have enough leg room. :twocents: If anyone is seated in the third row, rear legroom will be pretty tight with the second row seats swiveled to face the rear according to the reviews I've seen. :twocents:

I do shudder at the misuse potential, especially if there are improperly restrained rear passengers with the table in front of them, or just facing each other and not wearing seatbelts, or otherwise properly restrained. Excessive head excursion or human projectiles in the third row, plus the table and/or rear facing second row passengers = not a good thing.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The Swivel n'Go seats can be used in the RFing position while driving as long as they are locked in position.

They can NOT be used with a child restraint when the vehicle seat is in the RFing position.

They CAN be used with a booster seat in the RFing position. There is actually an option to add an integrated booster seat to the swivel n' go seats as well.

We've been back and forth on what vehicle to get for the last few weeks and we've narrowed it down to the new '08 Grand Caravan and an '08 Mazda CX-9. The van is currently winning for the sliding doors... can't give them up just yet when we have such young kids. ;)

rebeccah5

Chrysler could invent a built-in HWH and it wouldn't convince me to buy another one. I don't trust that company to put safety before $$. I am currently driving a Town & Country with the Gen3 seatbelts and am pretty disgusted with them at the moment.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Swivel n'Go seats can be used in the RFing position while driving as long as they are locked in position.

They can NOT be used with a child restraint when the vehicle seat is in the RFing position.

They CAN be used with a booster seat in the RFing position. There is actually an option to add an integrated booster seat to the swivel n' go seats as well.

We've been back and forth on what vehicle to get for the last few weeks and we've narrowed it down to the new '08 Grand Caravan and an '08 Mazda CX-9. The van is currently winning for the sliding doors... can't give them up just yet when we have such young kids. ;)

Eh, you'd do fine without sliding doors. :p Mind you I've never had them so have no idea what I'm missing.

Jillian has no problem climbing into our truck and going underneath the Radian and then getting up into her MA though. It does mean you need more space to open doors when you park though. ;)
(sorry for the thread hi-jack.)

As for the locking of the seatbelts - the seatbelt locking mechanism is a pendulum, so either a forward or backward sudden movement would lock them I'd think?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC