When does "check fit" fix happen for Frontier 90?

rfk

I recall production change in January? So perhaps buy in February? Still got some run time in the Roundabout...

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I recall production change in January? So perhaps buy in February? Still got some run time in the Roundabout...

Hi there! I'm not sure what a "check fit" fix is for the Frontier 90, but I just wanted to bump your thread so someone with more info can come along. :)

(Just in case you are referring to the IIHS booster ratings and the Frontier 90's "Check Fit" rating, that just means that when IIHS tested the Frontier 90's positioning of the seatbelt using a 6 year old crash test dummy, IIHS determined that the seatbelt fit would need to be examined on the individual child in each individual vehicle when using the Frontier 90 in booster mode to make sure it was positioning the seatbelt appropriately on the child. However, even when using boosters that are ranked Best Bet or Good Bet, the seatbelt placement still needs to be checked to make sure it is providing a good fit for the individual child in the vehicle. Since the Frontier 90 is typically purchased to use in its harnessed mode first, determining the booster fit on the child before purchase won't be possible, but once the child is ready to move to a booster, it would be time to check the fit to see if the Frontier 90 positions the belt well or if another booster is needed. Britax wouldn't necessarily make any design changes to the Frontier 90's booster mode because of the IIHS booster rankings, but maybe I've missed an announcement that they plan to do so.)

If you are looking for help deciding which seat to purchase after using the Roundabout, sharing your child's age, weight, and torso height/shirt size can help the posters here make great recommendations. :)

MommyShannon

Like pp mentioned, I wouldn't be at all worried with the "check fit". The size tested would have plenty of room in it as a harnessed seat. It fits larger kids who are outgrowing the harnessed mode better.

Keeyamah

I think I remember what the OP is talking about. I vaguely remember mention somewhere that Britax is going to make some changes to the lap belt guide on the FR90, so as to get a better fit in the IIHS testing. But that is all I remember.

rfk

Last two posters hit it, thanks. We have maybe 2-3 months left in 2 Roundabouts (twins), since we have the time I figured it worth waiting for the "check fit" fix.

rfk

Last two posters hit it, thanks. We have maybe 2-3 months left in 2 Roundabouts (twins), since we have the time I figured it worth waiting for the "check fit" fix.

I have it on my to-do list to call & ask Britax about this. I wonder how they feel about giving out production info based on what someone read on this site...?

rfk

I have it on my to-do list to call & ask Britax about this. I wonder how they feel about giving out production info based on what someone read on this site...?

Another self-reply - I found this on the Britax web site re: production change:

"BRITAX will implement a slight change on the FRONTIER 90, PINNACLE 90 and PIONEER 70 by January 2014 that will be designed to address the occasional instance where proper belt fit is not achieved."

Honestly, with all the attention to detail on this site, I'm surprised no one else seems to care about a production change related to an IIHS finding.

Keeyamah

I don't know for sure, but it could have to do with the experience on this site about delays to seats and changes to seats. We also tend to recommend the frontier to people looking to harness big kids, or for an extended period of time due to developmental reasons. I have a FR85 for my oldest, but I will prolly never use it as a booster, it will get handed down to his younger brother and I'll be buying him a dedicated booster. But that is just my thought.

Athena

Based on my experience, I doubt they'll tell you anything. It's not just that they're very hush hush about things, but sometimes their reps don't seem to know things yet, things I've heard about here.

If you can and want to wait, there's nothing wrong with that, but if you see a great deal and don't want to wait, there's nothing wrong with buying the current model either. Are you sure you'll even be using it as a booster? Isn't the potential fit problem fixed by using the SG clip? I don't know if we'll ever use our 90 as a booster, but just in case I called about getting the SG clip (now, while the test and topic is fresh in mind) and they sent it for free. They also sent us SG clips for our 85s, so I don't know if they always do that for free or we were lucky, maybe because we've bought so many of their seats. :eek: We are using one 85 in booster mode with the SG clip right now and it's worked out great.

I'd be interested to hear if they tell you anything.

Mama

Any updates on the "slight change"? We will just get a secureguard clip, if we need it. But I would wait a little longer, if it's changing soon.

rfk

Any updates on the "slight change"? We will just get a secureguard clip, if we need it. But I would wait a little longer, if it's changing soon.

Last I heard from this Site, 2Q of this year (I assume Apr-May). I've posted an update query, but no replies.

If you can wait to buy, I'd wait. I just borrowed back an old Frontier (80) and Nautilus as twins ran out of time in Roundabouts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC