Question Tiny almost 6 year old, but dying to booster

mping

My almost 6 year old (1/31) is in a Frontier but is dying to get an orange Affix like his big sister. He's about 40 in tall and maybe 32-33 lbs. I had previously told him 7 or 40lbs, whichever came first. He boosters occasionally for carpools and stuff and does really well. But he's just so small! My daughter didn't booster until she was 7 and she was over 50lbs and well over 4 ft tall! I've heard a lot of people say that after a certain age, size isn't as important. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

ADS

Keeyamah

Dang..... Does the Parkway come in orange? He's smaller than my 4 yr old (who is at the top of the growth charts....). I'm not sure where the study is, but I think there was one done that showed kids less than 40lbs were more likely to submarine :(

christineka

Dang..... Does the Parkway come in orange? He's smaller than my 4 yr old (who is at the top of the growth charts....). I'm not sure where the study is, but I think there was one done that showed kids less than 40lbs were more likely to submarine :(

Parkway starts at 40 pounds. I, myself would continue with only boostering once in a while and say he can booster full time at 7.

mping

My gut said to wait another year, but I was secretly hoping someone would say "oh it makes no difference!" I thought that about submarining. He won't fit in a parkway for a very long time! I hope he's able to 5 step by the time he's in drivers ed ;)

Baylor

I think the Monterey is 30 lbs. As is the turbo which fits littler kids well.

I would booster him. I would just find the right one to fit him well.

java

So what if he isn't much closer to 40lbs by 7?

I just want to follow this. I mean, I know the laws and best practices and seat stats...but I would like personal opinion as well. I have a small 3.5yo, so we may hit this one day too. She is a whopping 27lbs and 37 inches tall. If she stays on her current growth curve (which she has slowly been inching into the chart since about 18 mths old) then she will be 40lbs at 7-7.5. She is mature for a 3.5 yo, so I imagine that she would be well ready to booster at 5 or 6, but she is just thin! So is it unsafe for a 35lb 7yo to booster in a seat that starts at 30lbs, or would it really be better to wait until 40lbs+ no matter the age?

jnamommy

I would wait a couple of pounds, but I would not wait until 40lbs. Find a booster that fits little ones well and starts at 30 lbs, and use that (not sure if there is an orange one).

FWIW, I will also deal with this. dd is 5 1/2 and 32 lbs. I will wait until she is at least 6, and then if she is able to sit, we will try a booster for day to day use if she wants.

ds started using a booster over the summer, right after he turned 7. He was barely 40 lbs in heavy clothes, and could be under that if he gets sick or something. I made sure all of the boosters we picked for him are rated down to 30 lbs for that reason.

tiggercat

Personally, I am uncomfortable boostering under 40lb, but that is my canadian showing (it is illegal to booster before 40lbs here).

Baylor

However we have the Swedish who booster at 4 yes??? From rfing to booster??? Do they have a weight limit??

christineka

I responded, what I, myself would do. At this age, there are many unknowns. My fourth child is a peanut. She was 33 pounds at 6 years old. She boostered full time at 8 and over 40 pounds. (Amazingly, she put on weight!). I was much more comfortable with her in the booster at that age and size.

As for the swedish, I don't think all kids are turned from rfing to booster on their 4th birthday. I've read bits and pieces here and there, which makes it seem to me that like the kids in the US, this milestone happens at different times.

Baylor

I responded, what I, myself would do. At this age, there are many unknowns. My fourth child is a peanut. She was 33 pounds at 6 years old. She boostered full time at 8 and over 40 pounds. (Amazingly, she put on weight!). I was much more comfortable with her in the booster at that age and size.

As for the swedish, I don't think all kids are turned from rfing to booster on their 4th birthday. I've read bits and pieces here and there, which makes it seem to me that like the kids in the US, this milestone happens at different times.

Im sure not all. But the kids are normally sent from rfing to booster without FF harnessed seats correct?

Suzibeck

My youngest will be 6 in April. She is about 34# and 43ish inches. I am not yet comfortable with boostering. She has ridden in a booster 3 times for short trips. I have told her 40# which may not be too far away as she is starting to gain faster since I took her off gluten.

JOII

I did booster my son before 40 because he is also very small and I didn't know when (if ever :p) he would get to 40. It was a personal choice that I did think about very carefully before doing it. I think I boostered him at 6 and 36lbs? Didn't get to 40lbs till about 7.5. We used a Vivo.

He is now almost 9 and only 45lbs. Still a scrawny little thing :p

1mommy

I remember in the past people pointing to a certain study that was done that cites 40 pounds as a minimum for booster due to risk of submarining, does anyone have a link to that study? And just curious how long ago was it? I too have a skinny boy and while hes is years away from being booster ready I am curious.

mping

I had told him 40lbs OR 7 knowing that 7 was going to come first most likely. We are happy with the Affix and he fits well in it so unless something new comes out in the next year, I will most likely get him one.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I wouldn't put a child that size in a booster rated from 40 lbs, but I have no problem putting a 6-year-old in a booster he fits in by height and weight. The Affix is rated from 30 lbs in high-back mode, no? As long as the belt fits him well and he sits properly, I don't have an issue with it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Personally, I am uncomfortable boostering under 40lb, but that is my canadian showing (it is illegal to booster before 40lbs here).

Me too. I'm not Canadian but since my state has a 40 lb min. law the same prejudice may apply. I would harness to 40 lbs and limit booster use to only when absolutely necessary. I understand the practical issues with trying to use a harnesses seat at that age for going with friends, but my solution would be to be the driver whenever possible.

I don't have any data to prove a 30 lb kid is not sufficiently protected by a booster and seat belt, but the fact that so many booster manufacturers set their minimums at 40, + Transport Canada refusing to certify boosters with a minimum under 40, + several anecdotal stories of belts not locking and holding lighter weight kids in minor accidents or sudden stops... It concerns me.

But that's also easy for me to say what if do since my daughter isn't even 3.5 and is already over 40 lbs.

carseatmama007

I boostered my 5yo at 35 lbs out of necessity (her grandma is incapable of using a 5-point harness correctly). It's only used for very occasional rides, and I feel surprisingly OK with it. The belt fit is superb, she sits super still, and the booster just *looks* safe and comfy... and bonus, grandma knows how to use it properly! However, I could not booster in a primary vehicle at her size. It still feels too small for most rides. I'm waiting until 40 lbs at least! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC