Tell me the pros and cons of these infant seats

momtoo3

There are so many choices and I have time but can't help but look. The seats I am considering are:
Graco Click Connect 35
Safety 1st Onboard Air
Combi Shuttle
Chicco Keyfit 30

I had a SR22 (ds3) and Baby Trend Latch-Loc (ds2.) I didn't love either of them. I have also played with the Aton some and didn't love it but it wasn't bad either. My sister still has the Aton but I think I want something else. Buying car seats is my favorite thing, after all :p.

I am due in early Sept but expect a mid-late August baby. No idea on the size. Ds2 was almost 7 pounds at 35 weeks exactly, and stayed around 40-50th percentile for weight and 80-95 percentile for height, so a big baby. Ds3 was 7 lb, 7 oz at 38 weeks 5 days and was always in the 5-20th percentile for height and weight.

So out of those 4 what are the pros and cons? Anything else I should be considering? I would like to stay under $200, cheaper is always better but I don't mind spending for nice features.

The seat will be going in a 2003 Caravan and will most likely need to be in a 3 across at times (probably in 2nd row, as I have an extra 3rd row seat I will have to use there) and then in a 2013 Yukon XL, where space is not an issue but it would be great if it could go middle of 2nd row or driver's side second row, along with a booster (most likely Performance Booster but then) for ds3 and still be able to flip down the seat on passenger side to access the third row.

ADS

canadiangie

I think you should add the Britax BSafe to your list. It's such a nice all around seat. Every time I work on one I like it more.

And then if I was choosing from your list I would pick the KF30. It too is a very nice all around seat.

I'm just not in love with the CC line-up tho admittedly I've only seen three so far (CC just came to Canada)

The OnBoard is fine. Never gets me too excited, but it's easy enough to work with.

I had a Combi Centre DX once upon a time, which was very similar to the Shuttle. I really, really disliked it.

Oh and huge huge huge congrats. :)

nannykates

The keyfit is super easy to install and thr seat clicks on and off the base really easy. The base is narrowish and squared off so its easy next to other seats.

The onboard is super long lasting but nothing too fun.

I like the click connect seats. They are very narrow, fairly easy to install, lasts decently, has fairly low bottom slots.

Eta-i have never worked with the combi shuttle.

momtoo3

Do the Peg seats ever go on sale? It looks awesome but too expensive. I really wish I hadn't sold all of my baby gear in 2012. Then I could spend more on a car seat.

canadiangie

Do the Peg seats ever go on sale? It looks awesome but too expensive. I really wish I hadn't sold all of my baby gear in 2012. Then I could spend more on a car seat.

They don't tend to go on sale here, but we don't have things like NBD and Wayfair, etc.

Spam

first, CONGRATS! I've used all in your list, my favorite is probably the keyfit, but I've been using a cc35lx and I'm really loving it. The new Peg looks really cool to me, I've used an aton and just didn't love it but maybe they're making more improvements.

Kf- easy to install, easy to lift on and off base, fits little babies well, lasts a decent amount of time. The canopy is a little on small side imo, but that's probably the only thing I dislike about it.

CC35- easy to install, easy to lift on base, can be a little cumbersome at getting off base, but I have it installed in the center and it's a little hard to reach too. I have the lx version with no rethread harness and it's pretty nice. It looks like it would fit a small baby well, I didn't get it until ds4 was 7.5 months. Base is nice and narrow and has lockoff. Very light.

Shuttle- Can be difficult to adjust the harness with little ones. Base installed easy enough. It's on the narrower side.

Onboard- I have difficulty with the lockoff releasing on the base. It's heavier, and for me the notches under the handle hit my hip at just the wrong the spot making it uncomfortable to carry.

momtoo3

Ok, so between the KF and CC35 LX....which will be better 3 across? I love the looks of the CC35 LX's head rest. Ds3 is very set on this baby having an orange seat if it is a boy. Unfortunately the orange CC35 is not the LX with the head rest I like. We will see. I just need to know what will work best on the 3rd row seat I will put in the 2nd row of my van with boosters on either side. I'm pretty sure there is no latch on that seat so it will be a lap belt install.

I also like the looks of the new peg but have a feeling it will not go cheap enough within the first few months it is out.

canadiangie

Ok, so between the KF and CC35 LX....which will be better 3 across? I love the looks of the CC35 LX's head rest. Ds3 is very set on this baby having an orange seat if it is a boy. Unfortunately the orange CC35 is not the LX with the head rest I like. We will see. I just need to know what will work best on the 3rd row seat I will put in the 2nd row of my van with boosters on either side. I'm pretty sure there is no latch on that seat so it will be a lap belt install.

I also like the looks of the new peg but have a feeling it will not go cheap enough within the first few months it is out.

Not sure. I'm guessing the CC35, but I honestly think you should go try before you buy. The KF base is likely a smidge wider and boxier, but it has cut-outs right where your boys would be reaching to buckle their seatbelts - which might be helpful. Or not.. it's so hard to say. I probably shouldn't have posted because I have seen exactly zero of your boosters IRL (other than an Amp I owned for a very short time).

So your plan is to put a 3rd row bench in your 2nd row, correct?

momtoo3

Yep 3rd row bench in second row. I have an extra 3rd row bench so my van can become an 8 passenger.

It will most likely be the baby in the middle with 2 of the kids I watch on either side in hbbs during the week and and then ds2 in a nbb and ds3 in a hbb on the weekend. I'm still thinking it all out. School will be starting right about when the baby comes and I will only have the baby and the two I watch at that point during the day so it is possible that I may not use the extra 3rd row bench all the time but would need it over breaks and stuff. I will need the extra seat by next summer though but may be thinking about a convertible at that time, although the infant seat will probably be more convenient.

rachelandtyke

I was able to use the KF30 with base in 2 tight 3 acrosses recently (including in the 3rd row of our T&C). We used a bubblebum as the booster and had plenty of room to buckle. Probably could have used a different booster, but it was the only nbb we had.

BTW - I love, love, love our KF30! I had a Snugride 22 (front adjust) with the other kids, and it just doesn't compare! :) We got a Keyfit Caddy to make it a travel system for now, and I got a separate stroller to use when we're done with that. I've been very happy with that set up!

Last edited:

momtoo3

So today I picked up a baby jogger city mini stroller with the snack tray AND car seat adaptor that works with the graco seats and a bunch of other seats for $85. Everything is in perfect condition. It is the orange and gray one and looks like it would match the tangerine SR35 really well. My dilemmas are that I was all set to buy either a SR35LX (I like the headrest) or the Keyfit. I was just waiting to find out if the baby is a boy or girl to pick the pattern. The SR35LX I really like is a little girly (cascade pattern at bbb.) It could be used with a boy but I would rather something different for a boy. I had been looking at the tangerine SR35 before finding the LX and then couldn't find an LX I loved for a boy and decided on an orange keyfit for a boy. I just like the keyfit better than the SR35 because I have always wanted one, no other reason. The SR35 is lighter than the keyfit and that is a big plus for me but man I have always wanted a keyfit. But now if I get a keyfit I have to buy the other stroller adapter because of course the chicco one is different. That is another $60 I don't need to spend.

On top of all that I had the tangerine SR35 in my cart with kohls yesterday and after stacking coupons it would have been $89 plus tax but i couldn't make myself buy it. Of course I found the stroller online today and one of the coupons expired yesterday. I am going to have a hard time paying more than that now. I still don't want that seat for a girl though. After having 3 boys if this is a girl I want something feminine. Gah! Why do I need things to match???

And after all of that.....I already have a bjcm in black that will match just about anything good enough. I just needed a stroller for the other vehicle. Each will be used equally because I use my van all week but we take dh's truck on the weekends. I hate that I am being so picky.

So after all of that i need someone to talk me into loving the SR35 like I have been loving the keyfit from afar. I didn't realize how much I wanted a keyfit until we were snowed in for 3.5 days and every time I looked at car seats I ended up on the keyfit. I hate the idea of spending so much on a different adapter when I got such an awesome deal today.

WWYD?

momtoo3

That was my first thought but way out of the budget. I found out the other day that I will most likely lose 2 of the kids I watch at the end of the school year or end of the summer. My whole way of staying home for another year after the baby was because I had them one more year, at least the younger one and I was getting my nephew (age 6) before and after school and over the summer. Well after I found out about losing the two, I figured it would still be ok because of my nephew but that fell through for now and I don't know if it will happen at all. He was suppose to be moving to ds2's school into the ED program but the teacher moved and they decided not to move him until the position is filled because his issues stem from change and different subs would cause more issues. Instead they started him on anxiety meds and are going to see what happens. So yeah, my income is going to go down and I need to start saving and not spending.

canadiangie

Does the Graco adapter work with CC seats?

As a mom of many (many for me, lol) I can tell you that I was so over it this time around. I just wanted my baby, and all the gear craziness that I once had seemed like a distant, silly memory. I totally vote get whatever is cost effective and works.

My first thought is that you should re-sell the $85 set-up you bought today sans the adapter kit for $100 or so. Throw the adapter kit on your existing BJ stroller, and then get a cheapie second hand snap n' go to use in the other vehicle.

But first find out about the adapter kit working with CC seats. Eta- unless a CC seat is no longer in the running? I'm following along perfectly, and you are making complete sense :), I just can't keep Graco's seat names straight anymore.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just random thoughts...

KeyFit was my worst seat for 3-across, though it was my favorite seat overall, I ended up using my Graco (35) for many months more and for three across, and the CC is even way narrower for three across. Also wouldn't rule out the B-Safe, it's got a narrow foot and might be nice for 3-across.

CC won't technically work with older Graco adapter bars, but the red hook on the back usually clips, and I suspect the CC adapter bars will be out by the time you need one (I'm talking about for other brands of strollers).

momtoo3

So the Graco SR35 Click Connect seats won't work on the adapter bar for the BJCM? Or they are not supposed to but do click on?

Either way I want to keep the stroller and snack tray. I truly need a decent stroller in both vehicles. I am going to be selling my Peg P3 because I just don't love it and dh can't fold it. He likes the BJCM though.

If the Click Connect seat doesn't fit on the adapter I have, it may be cheaper to pick up a SnugRider stroller frame from one of the online yard sale sites than buy a new adapter. But then I will need to remember to transfer it from vehicle to vehicle. We do tons of in and out trips and I like being able to keep the baby in the car seat for those. It is necessary for during the week carting kids in and out of preschool and convenient on the weekends when we are just running in somewhere for a few minutes. I don't want a Classic Connect that would fit the bar because they are heavier. In the past I have stopped using the carrier when baby can sit up unassisted because of the weight so lighter is better.

If I have to buy a new adapter, I may as well buy a Chicco and get the Keyfit if it works 3 across.

Jools, do you know if the new bar for the Click Connect seats will just be an add on for the current adapter and be cheaper or will it be a separate adapter?

Kegracin

If you could be swayed to a b-safe it has a nicer adapter for the city mini. Eta sorry I wasn't thinking of your space issue just about the adapter.

momtoo3

Well since I'm most likely losing two kids, space may not be an issue. I will be looking for 1 more when summer starts but doubt I will find two kids. I don't even know if I want to. My ideal is a couple of before and after school/summer kids instead but it is hard to find. It's not like anyone will be happy that we take a week of vacation in August and then the baby is due within a couple of weeks and I will need a week off then (hopefully not more.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC