Tech class may not happen waaahhh!

brightredmtn

I live in Los Angeles, you'd think the second biggest metro area in the country would have plenty of tech classes. Nope. They are mostly all in really small towns in CA. So I was super excited to see a class in just one city over from me offered in late October. We're actually moving out of state next month but I was going stay behind to take the class. I talked to the teacher listed this week and he isn't going to teach it anymore. He gave me the number of someone from the CHP in Sacramento. I called her and she can't find a teacher! Also I might not be able to take the class anyway because she doesn't like people to take the class who don't work for agencies where they wouldn't be insured. Now I've considered this, I'm sure I'd have to take out some business insurance and have people sign wavers but how do you ever become a tech if you are just a mom?

So anyone want to come down to LA and teach this class? Surely they'd have to let me take it if I found the teacher!

ADS

Mom to a few

I'm "just a mom" too, and I finished my certification on Friday. They never even mentioned the issue about not being insured! They just stressed that everyone needed to get waivers signed--even if you are checking a seat for a friend/coworker/etc.

Sorry it's so tough to find classes and teachers in your area :(

mommy2env

I also live in LA and cant find a class either. I hear there may be one in Orange county in November. I have been keeping in contact with Marisela from safekids LA. She said she would let me know when and if the class would be open to the public. It totally sucks, i cant go all the way to Clovis! Sorry that you are moving out of state, maybe you can find one where you will be living...good luck!

brightredmtn

I also live in LA and cant find a class either. I hear there may be one in Orange county in November. I have been keeping in contact with Marisela from safekids LA. She said she would let me know when and if the class would be open to the public. It totally sucks, i cant go all the way to Clovis! Sorry that you are moving out of state, maybe you can find one where you will be living...good luck!

I don't even know where Clovis is and I've lived in California 21 years!

There is a class in November offered through Safety Belt Safe in November in Altadena (you have to take a one day class October 25 too.)

http://www.carseat.org/Events_Media/training.htm

It costs $510 though!

ignora

Senior Community Member
I don't even know where Clovis is and I've lived in California 21 years!

There is a class in November offered through Safety Belt Safe in November in Altadena (you have to take a one day class October 25 too.)

http://www.carseat.org/Events_Media/training.htm

It costs $510 though!

Ummm... yikes!! :eek: My class was free... I only paid the $60 Safe Kids fee. But, their grant ran out... the next class they're teaching will be $100 + the Safe Kids fee. That's still better than $510!!

Clovis is in Central CA... right next to Fresno. I'd say it was a suburb of Fresno, but they hate that. But, Fresno and Clovis merge into each other... if that makes sense.

brightredmtn

Ummm... yikes!! :eek: My class was free... I only paid the $60 Safe Kids fee. But, their grant ran out... the next class they're teaching will be $100 + the Safe Kids fee. That's still better than $510!!

$160 I could handle but $510 is way out of my budget. It's really $950 + $60 but Nissan sponsors $500 if you pledge to serve your community for 2 years.

ignora

Senior Community Member
$160 I could handle but $510 is way out of my budget. It's really $950 + $60 but Nissan sponsors $500 if you pledge to serve your community for 2 years.

Ok, now THAT'S just crazy talk! :eek: Plus, I didn't have to take any kind of prerequisite course... interesting.

Did you check here? Make sure you check the 'Also Show Invitation Only/Controlled Courses' box. If there are any controlled courses that are cheaper for you, you can write the instructor and ask to be let in.

brightredmtn

Did you check here? Make sure you check the 'Also Show Invitation Only/Controlled Courses' box. If there are any controlled courses that are cheaper for you, you can write the instructor and ask to be let in.

Safe Kids is where I found the course in Glendale that might not happen. The $950 course is happening the following month and only about 10 miles away from the one in Glendale in October. I contacted the instructor listed for Glendale because it was a closed/controlled course and he said he isn't going to be the teacher and he referred me to another woman with the CHP. She can't find an instructor so that's why it might not happen.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC