Does anyone else dislike non-handed latch connectors?

YinzerMama

I freely admit I probably only notice this because of the weird spot in my van I keep trying to find a seat that works - center of 2nd row, new odyssey - but I keep feeling like if X seat didn't have non-handed LATCH, it MIGHT work. Does anyone else not like them?

I don't have a problem with them anywhere else.

ADS

YinzerMama

How does non-handed latch affect compatibility?

I don't know. It doesn't seem like it should but I feel like when the strap comes from the bottom and not the sides of the latch connectors, I just can't get the strap to pull quite as tight. A classic marahon (handed) installs very tight until you wiggle it so much that the straps pop towards the inner upper curves of those metal bars. I thought maybe a classic roundabout, since the strap goes through the middle of the seat, no metal bars, might just install perfectly there - but it ends up being an even looser and worse installation than the classic ma. It feels like if it had handed connectors, it would go in better.

It's just this one weird spot where I have this problem.

(although weirdly the classic RA does not have any rubber grip on the bottom of the base which the classic ma does - not sure if that plays in or not)

tiggercat

So like the ones on the Scenera are non-handed and the ones on the True Fit would be handed?

I can't remember what the TF connectors look like!
How about: new Britax are non-handed, old Britax was handed (remember switching the latch anchors?)

tiggercat

I don't know. It doesn't seem like it should but I feel like when the strap comes from the bottom and not the sides of the buckles, I just can't get the strap to pull quite as tight. A classic marahon (handed) installs very tight until you wiggle it so much that the straps pop towards the inner upper curves of those metal bars. I thought maybe a classic roundabout, since the strap goes through the middle of the seat, no metal bars, might just install perfectly there - but it ends up being an even looser and worse installation than the classic ma. It feels like if it had handed connectors, it would go in better.

It's just this one weird spot where I have this problem.

Are you installing rearfacing or forward facing? I'm just trying to understand how the strap is slipping.

I've never personally experienced a compatibility issue due to handedness, but weirder things have happened ;)

tiggercat

Are all new britax non-handed??

I thought so, but we don't have as much variety of models up here so I can't say for certain. I pretty much only see marathons, blvds, advocates and frontiers, and there is no target nearby so we don't see the "new classic" seats.

Keeyamah

I can't remember what the TF connectors look like! How about: new Britax are non-handed, old Britax was handed (remember switching the latch anchors?)

Lol,and I've never seen old Britax :p. Britax was (is) too much $$ and didn't fit newborns when my oldest was born (sept 2009). So I've had a TF and Scenera since his birth and have since gotten a FR85, Sureride, an Radian since the youngest was born.

tiggercat

Lol,and I've never seen old Britax :p. Britax was (is) too much $$ and didn't fit newborns when my oldest was born (sept 2009). So I've had a TF and Scenera since his birth and have since gotten a FR85, Sureride, an Radian since the youngest was born.

Unless of course your newborn is 10lbs with a 10in torso like my middle child who used an old Marathon from birth :D I am not a fan of the new gen convertibles, but I do like the frontier and parkways. Long torsoed kids leave little choice there!
I see them at clinics, not necessarily for my own kids ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Keeyamah

Unless of course your newborn is 10lbs with a 10in torso like my middle child :D I see them at clinics, not necessarily for my own kids ;) Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Hehe, yeah. Mine were 8lbs 2oz and 8lbs 11oz and 21 inches (same length). They are still 90-95% for both height and weight.

I sooooo wanna take a tech course, but the next 2 being offered don't work with my schedule :(. I need to check again and see if any after them are up yet.

cso1997

Thank you so much for saying something. I posted about this awhile back and everyone thought I was pretty much crazy. My position is also the 2nd row center seat of a newer Ody. I decided that I absolutely hate non handed LATCH. I just can't get that extra pull that I should be able to get because of the geometry of non handed. It is very, very hard to explain unless you are in the situation. I feel your pain!!!

ETA: There is no denying that the LATCH connectors pull funky with non handed. Instead of the handed connector laying flat in line with the belt, the non handed forms like a t shape and pulls oddly. In some situations, it absolutely does make a difference.

I get that switching the connectors was confusing for some and that non handed is way easier and probably cheaper but BOO!! I didn't have any trouble. I read the connectors and read the manual and I was good to go.

katymyers

This is what I've been picturing and assuming while reading through this thread. In my head I think my Boulevard 3G's and my old Complete Air. The Britax works rear or forward facing but my Complete Air needed to have the LATCH strap flipped when moving it from one belt path to the other.

YinzerMama

Thank you so much for saying something. I posted about this awhile back and everyone thought I was pretty much crazy. My position is also the 2nd row center seat of a newer Ody. I decided that I absolutely hate non handed LATCH. I just can't get that extra pull that I should be able to get because of the geometry of non handed. It is very, very hard to explain unless you are in the situation. I feel your pain!!!

ETA: There is no denying that the LATCH connectors pull funky with non handed. Instead of the handed connector laying flat in line with the belt, the non handed forms like a t shape and pulls oddly. In some situations, it absolutely does make a difference.

I get that switching the connectors was confusing for some and that non handed is way easier and probably cheaper but BOO!! I didn't have any trouble. I read the connectors and read the manual and I was good to go.

Yes. It really seems to be for me specific to this seat BUT we only have 2 cars so it's not like I have tried every position in every car out there. The center of the ody has the latch at a standard distance but they are slightly BEHIND the back of the seat. With handed latch the straps will be flush with the sides of the seat and come straight out from the sides of the car seat but with non-handed latch there is a little twist in the straps as it rotates down to the bottom and I'm pretty sure Thor could be out there pulling on the straps and not get that weird little bit of wiggle out.

A pic of the ody seat to kind of explain

http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/0271.jpg

I have no idea if this problem crops up in other vehicles/spots. But I just can't shake the feeling that non-handed latch does not work well with this seat. The classic marathon ALMOST working and the classic roundabout NOT working seems to seal the deal that handed or non-handedness does make a difference. I wish I could get a hold of a handed latch strap for the classic roundabout to test this. I should go out and see if seatbelt works any better there - I don't think I have tried seatbelt.

I am still kicking myself for trading in our old Sienna... ugh.

kathysr98

Exactly!

I'm not a fan of the non-handed connectors. The belt has to turn to go into the seat, and it doesn't have much room to do so. The handed connectors have the belt at a much better angle for going into the seat, so no need for a big turn.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC