Leg room ?

koda&phiasmama

DD seems like she's cramped in the RXT, lately putting her in is just a challenge especially with boots on I feel like she's all bunched up and not comfortable at all but what seat has more leg room than the RXT ? We do use the angle adjuster and we can't take it out for space reasons. She's 35.8lbs and 38 inches I can't purchase a new seat for a few months but even if I wanted too would you bother putting money into another convertible at this point ? We do have a baby it could be passed down to.

We were having issues with her getting out of the seat and tried her FF it didn't help and our issue was solved by using a sunshine kids chest clip and nows she back RF I really would rather she stay RF until at least July she will be 3.5 by then.

ADS

Carolinadaisy

I don't have any good suggestions other than you could take her boots off in the car. However, I can commiserate. My ds2 is rf in a nextfit and is 35lbs and at least 40". It's getting troublesome to get him in and out of the seat since he is so big now! He can climb up on his so own, but I have to lift him out and the high sides are a little annoying. I like them for the side impact protection.....even if it's just my perception. I had recently been wishing we had purchased a Radian. But I'm hoping to keep him rf until as close to 3.5 as possible. I think he will reach 40 lbs by then and I will feel fine turning him forward at that point. Ds1 only rf until his second birthday so this is my first time with such a large child rf.

koda&phiasmama

I don't have any good suggestions other than you could take her boots off in the car. However, I can commiserate. My ds2 is rf in a nextfit and is 35lbs and at least 40". It's getting troublesome to get him in and out of the seat since he is so big now! He can climb up on his so own, but I have to lift him out and the high sides are a little annoying. I like them for the side impact protection.....even if it's just my perception. I had recently been wishing we had purchased a Radian. But I'm hoping to keep him rf until as close to 3.5 as possible. I think he will reach 40 lbs by then and I will feel fine turning him forward at that point. Ds1 only rf until his second birthday so this is my first time with such a large child rf.
Yeah my first kid this size too I didn't know about rf back when DS was this age. I never really thought we would have this issue because with RXT we have the low sides but it's still difficult not so much lifting but her body is close to the back seat she even has a hard time crossing her legs if that makes sense ! It's funny the one convertible I would love is a nextfit but that may not help us. I'll add a pic tomorrow.

jwilliams

Ugh, boots. I thought I would keep my 41"/37lb daughter RF until the RXT's limits, but she was 4 in October and I turned her FF in November. It was partially motivated by winter gear. It just seemed like too much kid and fleece and boot crammed in there. (Very small car, very upright install).

Last winter I let her take her shoes off once she was strapped in. It actually made a big difference in how content she was. She is a big criss cross applesauce fan, but it doesn't work with boots!

Athena

We never wore boots in the RFing seat ... not sure we even did shoes. I would think that would make the difference. My DD was in a seat with far less leg room, but no boots. HTH.

Carolinadaisy

Yeah my first kid this size too I didn't know about rf back when DS was this age. I never really thought we would have this issue because with RXT we have the low sides but it's still difficult not so much lifting but her body is close to the back seat she even has a hard time crossing her legs if that makes sense ! It's funny the one convertible I would love is a nextfit but that may not help us. I'll add a pic tomorrow.

I feel like DS does have good legroom in the Nextfit, but he had a lot more 9 months ago when I bought the seat. He frequently puts his legs up the seatback once he is all buckled up. Kid has long legs though. He has a few 4t pants that he is starting to wear. He has just gotten so big and growth isn't slowing as much after age 2 as I expected. He is 80% weight and over 95% height. He is the size now that ds1 was at 3.5 or 4. Ds1 didn't reach 40lbs until age 5!

Anyhow, I don't know that I would buy a new convertible at this point. Kids are flexible and more comfortable than we would be in that position. If she isn't complaining, she is fine even if she looks scrunched.

Kel

My kids NEVER wear their shoes while RFing. My DS is 35# &39", and with any type of shoes it's terribly uncomfortable for him. His legs seem to get "stuck" with them on. We have an RXT also.

gigi

Mine is 2.5, 26 lbs, 37", lots of leg. I hate RFing, she hates RFing. I am using all my mental strength to keep rfing through winter. All the clothes and boots and the 50x a day in and out of the car is a giant PITA. I tried no boots but she is 2 and freaked because she wanted her boots LOL.

I feel like if I can make it to April we should start to need fewer layers and it will be so much easier again. I thought it was a legroom issue but I used my EFTA recently and it was just as bad...I remember my older kid having miles of legroom in it but she just has too much leg. I just remind myself that FF also has many disadvantages, including the kid dropping everything on the floor and legs falling asleep. I'm not buying any more RF seats though.

Carolinadaisy

The one other huge plus to rf besides safety is that Ds2 cannot kick my seat. I'm going to move seats around when he turns ff because that would make me crazy!

koda&phiasmama

It looks like I'm crazy for not thinking to take the boots off haha! I guess it's just extra work and I already feel like I'm learning to juggle 3 kids and I like things to be as easy as possible, all well ! I guess we'll try removing shoes for a bit and see how it goes, despite buying a thin coat that is proving to not work great either so I'll be taking both things off and on each trip :/

YinzerMama

We have a nextfit and a radian and a classic marathon. I don't feel like the legroom of the nextfit in the car is as awesome as I thought it would be tested out in the store. It has good room length wise but I feel like the seats with the more open sides allow their legs to sort of flop open better when they cross them, if that makes sense. radian and classic marathon are both more open. The depth of the nextfit is killing my love... I really like it overall but it is just so darn deep. I wouldn't suggest it for more legroom - although I could probably recline it somewhat more and gain a little space.

My kid is only 2 1/2 and 28 pounds so carrying him is not a big deal in this weather, I got him "car slippers" which are knit boots with a faux leather grippy bottom, I carry him to the car but he can walk around in stores and stuff without too much stink eye from people wondering where my kid's shoes are. That solved our winter cold feet cramped car seat shoe removal etc issues. Obviously they're not good for walking around in the snow but it works for us as long as we carry him. I got them in the toddler section at target for maybe 8 dollars?

Lee-B-

Ok, stupid question. But, for those that have their kids leave their winter boots on. Don't they get soaked from melting snow? Don't the car seat and the car get wet and muddy?

featherhead

Ok, stupid question. But, for those that have their kids leave their winter boots on. Don't they get soaked from melting snow? Don't the car seat and the car get wet and muddy?

Yeah, but when it's -30 out and the vehicle is cold and you have more than 2 kids, it doesn't matter. I try to get my kids buckled as quick as possible, so I spend less time standing in the cold. And when we stop somewhere, DD1 unbuckles herself and the two middle girls, so we can get out of the van as quick as possible. She would not be able to help her sister get her boots back on. Now if we were driving a long ways, I would let them take their boots off, especially if they got too warm. But most of the time we spend 15 minutes or less driving.

The boot issue is why I turned DD1 FF at 3 1/2 even though I wanted to make it to 4 rear-facing. I couldn't even get her buckled properly cause her legs just got in the way.

gigi

It depends on the weather. I clean them off so snow isn't sticking to them and I don't allow muddy shoes of any kind...walk on the pavement or walk home, kid! If we have very dirty shoes I mandate they come off and I put them on the all weather mats. Spring is usually when the car dirt for a into overdrive LOL.

amelia222

If it's wet/muddy/snowy out I sit the kid sideways on the RF seat, pull the boots off, then put kid in the seat. I takes about an extra 5 seconds.

koda&phiasmama

I carry my rearfacers if at all possible in gross weather. It's a lot easier now that I only have 1.
Ha so not happening here ! She is 35 lbs plus I have a newb in a bucket ! I used to carry her and when dads home he does but not when it's just us.

Last edited:

biddyk8

We are boots off in the car aswell, which is easily done during the week as we leave her snowboots in daycare Mon to Fri so she knows she cant get down and walk those days. At the weekend sometimes its harder but I left her boots on last week as we were just going 5mins down the road and she was pulling them off going - "no no boots in car mammy!"

But we have a garbage bag with a tshirt over it over the back of the seat that the carseat is installed on(put on after seat installed and doesn't go near belt path) So that if she brings snow in it doesn't soak the seat or dirty it too badly

jacqui276

I usually leave DS's boots on in his seat since I am too lazy to try to pop them on and off every time we get in and out of the car. I carry him to and from the car as much as possible so that they don't get mucky. If he does walk and there is snow on them, I try to wipe the snow off the bottom of them as much as possible before he is in. I also sometimes put a seat protector on the back of my seat where his feet are up against that doesn't go under the car seat if it is slushy out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC