Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Radian harness pads

I just bought a second Radian RXT, and it has a few, seemingly minor, differences from my other one (the crotch buckle is lighter and seems flimsier, the harness pads are bulkier and made with memory foam). My local CPST had told me, with my older Radian, that the harness pads were necessary for forward facing, but optional for rear facing. I'm hoping that the same is true for this new seat because I HATE these awful, bulky, huge harness pads. They make it difficult to get the harness snug enough and my son complains that they are uncomfortable.
    The manual says, "Always utilize harness pads and attach them as shown." It doesn't say anything about forward versus rear facing.
    Does anybody know? Should I call Diono?
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Ugh, and by "harbess" I meant "harness" :-/

They are optional RF and mandatory FF. I've called Diono and they sent me the small harness cover for free!
    Mary Ann - Maman franco
    Sorry for my broken English
    DD1: 10/2008 - Rides FF in a Plum RXT or PW's
    DD2: 02/2013 - Rides RF in a Flamingo Foonf
    DS: 07/2015 - Rides RF in a cowmoo Boulevard

5. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

Re: Radian harbess pads

When I asked this here, I was told that the huge pads are required for FF in Canada but not in the US - because of how the testing was done. They are optional for RF.

I agree they are awful but worse than that they are unexpected - they are not pictured in the stock photos, on the box, or even in the manual. My manual only shows the smaller pads. No mention of the monsters. No explanation.

I understand the theory behind them, they compress in an accident and they keep the chest clip positioned, but they are so unwieldy and so unexpected.

I also got free smaller pads when I contacted Diono.

I think in the US you are supposed to use SOME pad, either small or big, if FF.

eta - this is the email I got from Diono. Of note, Diono doesn't seem to be consistant with what they tell people calling with the same question. But this is what they told me, and the Canadian requirement part, I read on the forum here.

Thank you for your inquiry. Both styles of harness pads are for forward facing and rear facing. Forward facing you are required to have harness pads not just the longer pad covers.

We do have smaller harness pads but with the high demand of consumers wanting them we are out of stock on mostly all colors. We only have tan, shadow and spring.

This was a couple months ago so the stock availability part is not current. I ended up getting my cobalt set (included a second belly pad) shortly after requesting them.
    Last edited by YinzerMama; 12-11-2013 at 03:30 PM.

7. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Re: Radian harbess pads

I'm in Canada. In August I called and was told the harness pads are only required forward facing and are optional rear facing. They sent me a free pair of the smaller pads. We are not using any pads rear facing right now and the straps seem to be comfortable enough on their own.

Moderator - CPST Instructor Pixelated's Avatar

Re: Radian harness pads

Quote Originally Posted by mairep View Post
    Ugh, and by "harbess" I meant "harness" :-/
    Fixed...since you sort of asked It IS something that you can fix yourself but it's not obvious, just for next time. You go to 'edit' (blue button at the bottom) and then 'go advanced' and you should be able to to edit that way.
    Jen ~ Canadian CPST-IT with CPSAC

10. Thank You from:

I believe the latest for the US is that they are req'd for both rf and ff. there was a recent thread about it by Skiersnowborder, I believe.

CPS Fanatic

It seems like this should be one of the FAQs on Diono's page but it isn't.