Question Radian harness pads

mairep

I just bought a second Radian RXT, and it has a few, seemingly minor, differences from my other one (the crotch buckle is lighter and seems flimsier, the harness pads are bulkier and made with memory foam). My local CPST had told me, with my older Radian, that the harness pads were necessary for forward facing, but optional for rear facing. I'm hoping that the same is true for this new seat because I HATE these awful, bulky, huge harness pads. They make it difficult to get the harness snug enough and my son complains that they are uncomfortable.
The manual says, "Always utilize harness pads and attach them as shown." It doesn't say anything about forward versus rear facing.
Does anybody know? Should I call Diono?
Thanks!

ADS

YinzerMama

Re: Radian harbess pads

When I asked this here, I was told that the huge pads are required for FF in Canada but not in the US - because of how the testing was done. They are optional for RF.

I agree they are awful but worse than that they are unexpected - they are not pictured in the stock photos, on the box, or even in the manual. My manual only shows the smaller pads. No mention of the monsters. No explanation.

I understand the theory behind them, they compress in an accident and they keep the chest clip positioned, but they are so unwieldy and so unexpected.

I also got free smaller pads when I contacted Diono.

I think in the US you are supposed to use SOME pad, either small or big, if FF.

eta - this is the email I got from Diono. Of note, Diono doesn't seem to be consistant with what they tell people calling with the same question. But this is what they told me, and the Canadian requirement part, I read on the forum here.

Thank you for your inquiry. Both styles of harness pads are for forward facing and rear facing. Forward facing you are required to have harness pads not just the longer pad covers.

We do have smaller harness pads but with the high demand of consumers wanting them we are out of stock on mostly all colors. We only have tan, shadow and spring.

This was a couple months ago so the stock availability part is not current. I ended up getting my cobalt set (included a second belly pad) shortly after requesting them.

Last edited:

Lee-B-

Re: Radian harbess pads

I'm in Canada. In August I called and was told the harness pads are only required forward facing and are optional rear facing. They sent me a free pair of the smaller pads. We are not using any pads rear facing right now and the straps seem to be comfortable enough on their own.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ugh, and by "harbess" I meant "harness" :-/

Fixed...since you sort of asked :) It IS something that you can fix yourself but it's not obvious, just for next time. You go to 'edit' (blue button at the bottom) and then 'go advanced' and you should be able to to edit that way.

canadiangie

I believe the latest for the US is that they are req'd for both rf and ff. there was a recent thread about it by Skiersnowborder, I believe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC